Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default re-enable usb ports

My usb ports have been disabled because of too much power drawn through them. How can I enable them?

Welcome mspeeps,

You might want to share what Mac it is you have, and what USB devices you plugged in before the fault. Do they plain refuse to work, or is it the software that is saying the USB ports are disabled?

JB

Thank you JB, I have a MacBook Pro OS-X. I left the laptop plugged into my HP printer overnight. When I turn on the computer it says that my ports are disabled because of too much power being drawn from them them. I've long since unplugged the printer, but still neither ports work.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Hi mspeeps,

thanks for the info. I'd first try resetting your PRAM - every Mac has a small battery inside that stores information such as this:

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

If this does nothing, the next step is to reset your Macbook's power management unit, this in case called an SMC reset:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Lastly, portable Macs don't provide much power at their USB ports as desktop machines do. Your best bet to stop this from occurring again would be to pickup a powered USB hub - go for a decent quality unit, as the cheaper ones don't do their job overly well.

Good luck!

JB

Thanks, Tried that. Going to try the PRAM or NVRAM thing.

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

Thank YOu JB, I will try those & let you know.

Traditionally i've found a power off and restart to resolve this. Used to have students in my class shorting out USB ports with staples resulting in a "USB Over Current Notice". Hard restart always fixed it.