Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

does anyone have any suggestions as to the best free or commercial network tracing programs.
    I have had a go at Neotrace and was wondering if there is anything better out there.
    I'm new to the networking admin stuff, I'm studying IT at TAFE.
    BTW Neotrace said appletalk forums went via tokyo adelaide and Washington DC?
    Does that sound right??
    [There is no escape from Microsoft]

open terminal and type: traceroute appletalk.com.au

Thats how you do a trace route. Network Utility in your utilities folder also has that function. Not sure if it should be going through adelaide...
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

Without pushing this too off-topic, there are many connections between the USA and Australia, so packets could take multiple routes.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Originally posted by Disko@Aug 8 2004, 11:38 AM

Thats how you do a trace route. Network Utility in your utilities folder also has that function. Not sure if it should be going through adelaide...
    For the terminal challenged

Double-click on Network Utility under Applications -> Utilities, also does finger, whois and a few other things. I used to use a graphical trace route utility in OS 9, it was cool seeing the route on a map.
    2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, G4 Cube, 2 x Colour Classic, 840AV, iPhone, iPad

Yes,sorry, I meant are there an graphical , map sort of programs...
    I had a go at traceroute in net. utilities, that was pretty good...thanks.
    I didn't really think; I already had such a tool.
    h34r:
    [There is no escape from Microsoft]

Originally posted by Gothikon+Aug 8 2004, 08:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gothikon @ Aug 8 2004, 08:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Disko@Aug 8 2004, 11:38 AM

For the terminal challenged

Double-click on Network Utility under Applications -> Utilities, also does finger, whois and a few other things. I used to use a graphical trace route utility in OS 9, it was cool seeing the route on a map. [/b][/quote]
    Very geeky
    Steve
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru