Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

╗ Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

News post and summary coming shortly.

My wife just confirmed it as well, she said I guessed it once and thought that I had picked it up but it went over my head. Happy days but I still think we are quite a few months off. Good site but and will be a good size store with a bit of class to it. Looking forward to it.
     iMac Alu 20" C2D 2Ghz 4GB Ram,  MacBook Pro 13" C2D 2.26Ghz 2GB Ram,  iPhone 3GS 32GB White,  iPod 80GB Classic,  iPod Touch 8gb & TV 160GB

What a lovely old building. Gotta hand it to Apple. They don't do anything by half.

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Default Apple Store MacArthur Chambers, Brisbane

A development application was lodged today with the Brisbane City Council for MacArthur Chambers, a 1930s English Renaissance styled building draped in history and located in the heart of the Brisbane CBD. In the application made to council, the retail tenancy covering the ground floor, mezzanine and basement are set to be overhauled and restored to their former glory.

A review of the architectural drawings supplied show immediately recognisable hallmarks of Apple's retail style. Areas for the Genius Bar, Kids Corner and iPod and iPhone accessories can be found alongside Apple's trademark sugarmaple tables and characteristic stools. A section drawing showing the store's Queen Street frontage includes a coyly reserved square area for "internally illuminated store signage" directly above the entryway which will feature twin reconstructed glazed doors.

The renovation includes a mammoth $3.84m simply to demolish the existing renovations which were completed in the 1980s and again in 2001. The project seeks to "create a high quality retail outlet which showcases the architectural qualities of the original Assurance Chamber and adds contemporary elements of comparable quality."

Recent Apple Stores such as Covent Gardens in the UK, and Paris Opera in France have shown Apple to embrace and enhance the existing heritage fabric of their sites rather than simply throwing a fašade of aluminium and plaster in front of them.

The MacArthur Chambers renovation includes several clues to the potential tenant, including
    a "uniform stone floor finish" and adjusting the space to house "the new feature stairs", floor to ceiling retail display shelfing, and most convincingly a trio of wall-mounted displays equidistant from one another and sitting behind a long "bar" complete with stools.

The development application is yet to be assigned to a planning officer for assessment, and given the significant heritage listing attached to the site it may take some time. However, once approved the project is expected to take three months to complete.

So here's to Apple's 11th Australian Store, in a setting which will prove to be certainly its most exquisite yet. For further reading you can check out the floor and section plans and for more specific information about the work being done to restore the interior, this document gets interesting from about page 16 onwards. The entire development application can be viewed online at the Brisbane City Council website.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

That's going to be one purty Apple Store, alright.
    2013 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4/500GB, 2x 27" iMacs, iPhone 5 Black, several iPads.

There's a lot amount of office space upstairs. Many Apple stores now also have a "Briefing Room", specifically to attract business customers.

Downstairs, actually - the first page of the plans is the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Phormic View Post
    What a lovely old building. Gotta hand it to Apple. They don't do anything by half.
    well with the amount of cash they have in reserves, AU$4m isn't very much lol!!
    15" MacBook Pro C2D 2.6Ghz 6Gb RAM, 320GB 7200 HDD, 512 VRAM & 23" Cinema Display
    3g iPod 30GB & 4g iPod photo 60GB & 512Mb shuffle & 2g shuffle & iPod touch 8GB
    & 3G iPhone 16Gb

flickr

Nice, looks like a great location. Should do better than the failed DYMOCKS

Quote Originally Posted by yinyang View Post
    well with the amount of cash they have in reserves, AU$4m isn't very much lol!!
    What do you mean? It's about 0.007% of their cash and long term securities!

I remember going into that building when it was a Dymocks store. Its reasonably sized, and it'll be bigger then the Apple store at Chermside. Be interesting to see what it looks like when done.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

I think the $4m figure was to just trash the existing reno's. I'm sure they are spending more than that. I worked in that building when it was a Metropolitan Permanent Building Society branch. It was nice then, now it will be amazing.
    2013 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4/500GB, 2x 27" iMacs, iPhone 5 Black, several iPads.

I am so going on it's grand opening day. And getting some photos of myself there. I think it'll be fantastic. I just hope Apple tell us the grand opening day before it happens so we can be there.

I do worry about all the Apple resellers though in Brisbane. I hope they don't die out cause of the new Apple store. I know elsewhere when the Apple Store came to town a lot of the resellers lost business. A lot of business.
    I am justice defined.

Great info Exo. Your sources have served you well

Very very impressive set up and cap ex.

With all the buildings in Melb CBD, with their varied styles sizes and locations, you would think there would be one that ticked all the Apple check boxes and finally gave us a CBD store. I know there is one for 3205, Sth Melb but I wouldn't expect it to be as grand as this new Brisbane outlet.

I went to a store in Glasgow that was also in an older building that they refurbished. Apart from the beautiful design and functionality I was amazed at the detail/$ they put into preserving and recreating the historical features of the existing building. Very few retailers would bother with the level of detail Apple come up with. It really makes their stores in older buildings all the more special.
    The bridge is crossed, so stand and watch it burn.

I'll definately be there. Really glad to hear that they are building it in a heritage building rather than their usual glass box. Adds an extra touch.

Don't care about Brisbane's NextByte to be honest, I've only had horrible experiences there. The staff were always rude to me, so I stopped going there a while ago. I would have more sympathy if they treated their customers with respect.
    iPhone 3GS 16gb | iPod Touch 32gb | iPod Classic 30gb | iPod Nano 16gb | iPod Shuffle 2gb | Macbook 13" / 2.26GHz / 4GB | iPad 64gb 3G |

Quote Originally Posted by Fedgrub View Post
    I'll definately be there. Really glad to hear that they are building it in a heritage building rather than their usual glass box. Adds an extra touch.

Don't care about Brisbane's NextByte to be honest, I've only had horrible experiences there. The staff were always rude to me, so I stopped going there a while ago. I would have more sympathy if they treated their customers with respect.
    100% agreed! I had the most ridiculous thing ever happen to me there about 2 years ago. I went in at 4:55pm to buy a set of inner ear headphones because I had lost my old pair that morning when getting off the train. I lined up in the queue and by the time it was my turn to be served it was 5:10pm and they tried telling me that I had to pay an extra $10 on top because I was getting 'special treatment' outside of business hours.....the whole thing was ridiculous which ended with me putting the headphones back and never returning.

They also took a look at a friends Macbook Pro and tried charging him a $200 premium because he took it in on a Saturday.

Nice coverage Exo

Quote Originally Posted by supafly View Post
    100% agreed! I had the most ridiculous thing ever happen to me there about 2 years ago. I went in at 4:55pm to buy a set of inner ear headphones because I had lost my old pair that morning when getting off the train. I lined up in the queue and by the time it was my turn to be served it was 5:10pm and they tried telling me that I had to pay an extra $10 on top because I was getting 'special treatment' outside of business hours.....the whole thing was ridiculous which ended with me putting the headphones back and never returning.

They also took a look at a friends Macbook Pro and tried charging him a $200 premium because he took it in on a Saturday.
    It's that kind of shit that makes me so apathetic about their future.
    iPhone 3GS 16gb | iPod Touch 32gb | iPod Classic 30gb | iPod Nano 16gb | iPod Shuffle 2gb | Macbook 13" / 2.26GHz / 4GB | iPad 64gb 3G |

A link-back would have been nice, but meh.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast