Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 20Mb download limit over 3G removed?!

Hi folks,

So did I miss the memo? On a whim, I just tried downloading a 54Mb podcast through iTunes on my iPhone4 over 3G, and it worked!

I tried Googling around to see when this happened and why it wasn't front page news anywhere, but everything that comes up still says it's a 20Mb limit. Has anyone else noticed this, and do we have any idea what the new limit (if any) is?

Thanks. Russell.

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

As an update, I just started a 282Mb app download, and there were no complaints. It was merrily consuming bandwidth until I killed it, as I only have so much bandwidth to give for my country

If there is a new limit, it must be big. This change, along with personal hotspot, now makes my iPhone a truly mobile solution for me

Russell.

Steve_D's Avatar Steve_D is offline Hold on.... Let me Google that for you.

It was still 20MB on my iPhone 4 using Vodafail this morning when it wanted to update my iMovie.app.

So im guessing that it may be provider restricted still atm.

Oh I thought it was an Apple restriction. I'm with Telstra. I hope it's not a glitch then thats going to be "fixed"

Quote Originally Posted by 8dashp View Post
    Hi folks,

So did I miss the memo? On a whim, I just tried downloading a 54Mb podcast through iTunes on my iPhone4 over 3G, and it worked!

I tried Googling around to see when this happened and why it wasn't front page news anywhere, but everything that comes up still says it's a 20Mb limit. Has anyone else noticed this, and do we have any idea what the new limit (if any) is?

Thanks. Russell.

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

As an update, I just started a 282Mb app download, and there were no complaints. It was merrily consuming bandwidth until I killed it, as I only have so much bandwidth to give for my country

If there is a new limit, it must be big. This change, along with personal hotspot, now makes my iPhone a truly mobile solution for me

Russell.
    What provider?

Update: ignore...
    Last edited by whyaretheycalledgenius; 17th March 2011 at 08:28 AM.
    Macbook Air 13" 1.8 GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD - MacMini 2.5 GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 60GB OZC SSD + 500GB HDD (Fused together)- 4g iPod 15GB (battery lasts about 1 song) - iPhone5 16GB - Airport Extreme - The OLD 'New' iPad 32GB

I'm with Telstra, rocking 4.3 and still get the "connect to WiFi message" when trying to download a 65mb podcast

Maybe new Carrier settings?? Can you force a refresh?
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

That's wierd. I've done nothing but the 4.3 upgrade recently. I'm on a business plan. Maybe that's different?

Quote Originally Posted by 8dashp View Post
    That's wierd. I've done nothing but the 4.3 upgrade recently. I'm on a business plan. Maybe that's different?
    me too... So it can't be that
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

You sure you're not connected to someone's wifi?

Quote Originally Posted by dracomjb View Post
    You sure you're not connected to someone's wifi?
    I wondered that too, but my indicator says 3G, my WiFi in settings says "not connected", and I've done it in 2 geographic locations, at 3 different times.

Been having a conversation on Whirlpool as well, and it seems I'm the only one??

My telstra carrier setting is 10.0, which seems the same as others. I'm not sure what else to check to see why I'm "special".
    Last edited by 8dashp; 17th March 2011 at 07:27 PM.

I too am on Telstra 10.0, and I tried to download a 200+MB free game just then, which resulted in the "you must connect to Wi-Fi to download this" message.

Well I'm currently in a council bus, bouncing down the busway. I went into settings to make sure every connection except 3G is turned off, and have just gone into the app store and successfully downloaded "space freighters", a game listed at 33Mb. I'm not sure what else to tell you guys. Sorry it's not working for anyone else, and I'll be very sad now if mine goes back to normal. I'm afraid to reset or sync it now....

Yep, I'm with Optarse and am still limited to 20mb over 3G.
    Melbourne's Premier Events Band
    Weddings, corporate events, birthdays, winery events.

Telstra and the 20MB limit is still active here too
    Visit my Christmas Light display at www.lithgowlights.com

I tried and definitely doesn't work on my iPhone with 4.3 and Telstra.

Well i tried again this morning, with my wife's iPhone 3GS and my iPhone 4 side by side, comparing settings. Hers give the limit message, mine works fine. A friend from Telstra is also visiting, and he can't explain it either!

Some apps, like GoodReader, have permitted large downloads for ages. I regularly navigate via its own browser to download econtalk podcasts or my audio-digest. Regarding the last, the auido-digets app also allows large in-app downloads.

But as for iTunes, I haven't done it, nor have I tried.
    MB 13.3 unibody 2.0 GHZ (500G/4G); iPhone 3GS 32G; iPhone 4S 64, iPod nano gen 4 8G; iPod Classic 160G (2007 and 2009); iMac 21.5 3.33MHz 2TB/8G; iPad 1 64/3G, ordered New iPad 64/4G.

Well folks, I had to reset my phone over the weekend, and I just tried to download a new podcast, and now I'm getting th 20mb limit message again

So it looks like it was a glitch. Now if only I can figure out what caused it and do it again, it'll be the best glitch ever!

its the worst limitation ever

Iv got 3GB of data but mostly cant download more than 20mb at a time

Have to use someones dodgy wifi thats slower than 3g just because of it sometimes
    Mac Pro Dual Xeon 2.8GHz Quad, 6GB Ram, 128GB SSD+320GB+3x1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX285, Mac OS X 10.7
    My Flickr | Portfolio/Photoblog

Well, I finally broke down and got an iphone a couple of months and still learning, so bare with me! I bought some episodes of American Dad on itunes and of course, am getting the error message item over 20MB and its making so mad! Haha Anyway, of all the forums and all the troubleshooting I've done, I've yet to find clear cut answers to fixing this problem! So I'm going to list my questions and hopefully get good answers, lol......Is there a way around the 20MB thing, like maybe a cheat or something? What does it mean I should try to connect to wi-fi and if its a simple thing, then why doesnt everyone do it instead of trying to get help? I mean if all you do is judt turn on wi-fi then there shouldnt be a problem, right? Lol last question...if i cant "get around" this annoying problem and watch my tv shows ony iphone 3G, is there a way to get a refund and who would I call? Sorry about being totally clueless, but i am still learning about the iphone. My daughtet told me not to get one because i'll never figure it out and that i should just stick to my phone from the "1700's!!" hahaha

the only way around it is to either get onto wifi, as you said, or jailbreak the phone and make it think its on wifi, but its on 3G.

wifi isn't available everywhere, and where it is, it might not be yours, so wifi isn't always an option.
    .: iPhone 3GS - 32gig - black .:. iMac 24" Intel .:. iPad 64gig Wi-Fi + 3G .:. 2011 17" MBP :.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast