Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default exFat not compatible between Windows 7 and Mac

I formatted my 750Gb external HD with exFat on the Mac. Synced over about 300Gb of data and then when I tried it on my Win 7 machine, it says the drive needs to be formatted!

Isn't exFat meant to be compatible between the two?

So it is mean to be compatible, but it isn't. Cool.

Perhaps try going the other way, format the hard drive using windows.

Will do that. Thinking of just using HFS and installing the driver on my win machines.

I just wanted something native that works on both.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Looks like there is an EPI System Partition of 200Mb at the begiining of the exFat disk. I need to clear that I would say. Shame Windows can't do anything with it!

I have removed the EPI partition via delpart in Win 7. Reformatted back to exFAT and will try it on the Mac tonight.

Make em both NTFS and install this on your Mac: PARAGON Software Group - NTFS for Mac, communication channel between Mac OS X and Windows
    Or make them both HFS and install this on your PC: MacDrive |

Yep I have them installed. I thought writing to NTFS seemed very slow. I may try HFS next.

Default no, it works fine

Recall the difference between partition and format.

Here's what I just did: I chose one partition for the external drive using the Partition tab of Snow Leopard Disk Utility. Under Options, I selected MBR partition table, not Apple, not GUID. I formatted the drive to exFAT.

From Mac OS, I created a new directory on the exFAT volume.

I rebooted in Windows 7, navigated to the root level of the volume. There was my new directory. Now, from Windows 7 I made another new directory, went back to Mac OS, and could see both directories.

Check what partition table you chose when you formatted that drive to exFAT.

thread mine but +1
    Mac Pro Dual Xeon 2.8GHz Quad, 6GB Ram, 128GB SSD+320GB+3x1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX285, Mac OS X 10.7
    My Flickr | Portfolio/Photoblog

Quote Originally Posted by boxaman View Post
    I formatted my 750Gb external HD with exFat on the Mac. Synced over about 300Gb of data and then when I tried it on my Win 7 machine, it says the drive needs to be formatted!

Isn't exFat meant to be compatible between the two?
    When you use Disk Utility on Mac OS X Mountain Lion to format an exFAT formatted hard drive, make sure you go to options and select MASTER BOOT RECORD instead of GUID partition table. That way, the formatted drive will will be recognized by Mac and Windows alike.

Windows 7 supports GPT disks so it's not that.