Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Steve_D's Avatar Steve_D is offline Hold on.... Let me Google that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rav3n View Post
    Physically there are no differences. Its only the speed each supports that varies ie: sata I is 1.5gb/s sata II is 3gb/s and sata III is 6gb/s. A sata I/II drive will work with a sata III mbp, but it will only run as fast as the drive supports
    Exactly. The plug is the same and the chipset that runs the whole show is the thing that changes.

That was the whole idea behind SATA. No need to change connector every 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by rav3n View Post
    Physically there are no differences. Its only the speed each supports that varies ie: sata I is 1.5gb/s sata II is 3gb/s and sata III is 6gb/s. A sata I/II drive will work with a sata III mbp, but it will only run as fast as the drive supports
    Is a WD Scorpio blue 5400 drive a SATA I?
    MacBook Pro 13" 2.3gHz i5 4GB RAM; Late 2008 MacBook 2.1gHz C2D 2GB RAM; iPad 2 Wifi 16GB White; iPhone 4 Black 32GB; iPod nano 3rd gen 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by iPadlover22 View Post
    Is a WD Scorpio blue 5400 drive a SATA I?
    Dude do some freaking research!

Western Digital Specs

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_D View Post
    Dude do some freaking research!

Western Digital Specs
    Sorry, it's just much easier to understand things when it comes from people's replies, rather than just specs or wikipedia pages. It's says SATA 3gb/s, so I'm guessing that means II. Last question, would using the $29 optibay reduce the speed of a SATAII drive in any way, it says 'Supports: SATA / SATA 3G / SATA 6G Interface 2.5" Hard Drive'. Does SATA 3G mean SATAII? I appreciate the replies, it's just a bit confusing for me.
    MacBook Pro 13" 2.3gHz i5 4GB RAM; Late 2008 MacBook 2.1gHz C2D 2GB RAM; iPad 2 Wifi 16GB White; iPhone 4 Black 32GB; iPod nano 3rd gen 8GB

the "optibay" connectors are a pass through connector. It is not a port multiplier (dont even ask!)

Think of it as a USB style extension cable or USB HUB or something of that sort. It doesnt affect the speeds of the item as all they are is an extension of the existing.

SATA speeds

SATA 1 = 1.5GB/s
    SATA 2 = 3GB/s
    SATA 3 = 6GB/s

and SATA 4 will hit a theoretical 12GB/s once its announced.

As long as your controller on your Mac can run SATA 2 (its in your specs - ALL Macbook specs) then youll be fine.

So what is the best bang per buck SSD right now? In my brief explorations it would appear to be either 120 or 160GB depending on which one you get.

We could probably have a whole thread about choosing the correct SSD all by itself, and the recommendation may change on a daily basis due to pricing.

I would personally just get one of the cheap ebay optibays as I already have an external DVD drive so don't really need to put my superdrive in it's own case.

120GB Vertex 2 - shouldn't pay more than $250 for one.

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    120GB Vertex 2 - shouldn't pay more than $250 for one.
    Best place to get one at that price?

Take your pick: 120gb vertex - Price Comparison Australia - Buy Cheap

EYO & PC Case Gear are both good.

Let me google that for you

Good replies all above though, confused me as much as helped, mind! $250 for SSD, $120 for 8GB ram, $90 for 500gb HD, $100 for 1TB backup drive, $30 for Optibay = much better laptop I suppose, but $700 blown! I suppose the SSD would be useful in even a newer lappy if I got one too.

Be careful with the vertex at the moment. The move to 25?nm nand has slowed them down considerably. I'm not sure whether it is fixable in firmware or not.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyw View Post
    Be careful with the vertex at the moment. The move to 25?nm nand has slowed them down considerably. I'm not sure whether it is fixable in firmware or not.
    Not in the Vertex 3. Uses 25nm but runs at 500MB/s
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

Hm, think I'll wait a bit longer. I might order the optibay thing from ebay and at least then I've got it for when I'm ready to get a drive.

Landmark on Latrobe Street have the 120gb Vertex 2 for $245, walk in off the street. I know that doesn't fit the pants criteria but I'm in the city every day anyway

Hot DAMN! RAMCity are bloody fast. Ordered on Sunday, delivered some time today while I was at work. And this is why they continue to get my business

Now I just have to wait for Macfixit to get my SSD here so I can get it all installed and have some real fun!
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 1st March 2011 at 06:42 PM.
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

the "optibay" connectors are a pass through connector. It is not a port multiplier (dont even ask!)

Think of it as a USB style extension cable or USB HUB or something of that sort. It doesnt affect the speeds of the item as all they are is an extension of the existing.

SATA speeds

SATA 1 = 1.5GB/s
    SATA 2 = 3GB/s
    SATA 3 = 6GB/s

and SATA 4 will hit a theoretical 12GB/s once its announced.

As long as your controller on your Mac can run SATA 2 (its in your specs - ALL Macbook specs) then youll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Take your pick: 120gb vertex - Price Comparison Australia - Buy Cheap

EYO & PC Case Gear are both good.
    Thanks for the replies. I know I could just google these things, but it's just much better to get first hand advise about things. And who would know better than decryption?

On another note, how do you guys see SSD prices over the next couple of months? Can I expect a nice price drop on the Vertex 2/OWC Mercury Pro once SATA III models come out? I've got my eye on the 120GB Vertex 2/Mercury Pro, but am willing to wait if a good price drop is in order.

Ok all you need to know is that ALL super/DVD/CD/BlueRay drives that are designed for laptop computers have not changed over the past 10+years.

Its an industry standard shape. If it wasnt then they would not all work the same and then where would we be?

If you have a laptop drive in your macbook/PC or similar then they are interchangable. The only thing that you need to make sure of is are you going to buy a SATA or PATA connection?

If you have a C2D Macbook/Pro then you def have a SATA form factor drive and thus ANY caddy that is SATA based will fit into any hole where a DVD one sat.

Its the same as the 12mm HDDs. If your PC/Mac has a DVD drive in it then it can take a 12mm HD as DVD drives are 13mm high as standard.

Paying over $50 for a caddy is just ridiculous. As all you are paying for is the small adapter plate and a frame (that you can see in the first pic - $3 max cost to build) that changes the port position from HDD style to CD style.
    Just wanted to correct a couple of things you said...

The pre-unibody MacBook Pros (which can have C2D CPUs) use PATA SuperDrives, not SATA.

Also, technically the SuperDrives are 9.5 mm (not 12.7 mm) drives, which is important if you plan to put it in an external USB case.

You are quite right about it being ridiculous to pay more than $50 for a caddy. I paid $27 for mine, and something like $15 for the external USB case.

Your MacFixit order has been shipped!
    Woohoo. The notification was at ~10am this morning so depending on when they get their mail out it could be tomorrow or Friday (here's hoping tomorrow ). Then it's onto some SSD lovin fun!
    Drive a VW?

^Be interested to see how you go, make sure you post the entire experience here

Hi,
    Would I be correct in saying that if I wanted to buy a 240G SSD for my new 15" MBP (still quite haven't pulled the trigger yet - maybe tonight), it is best to wait for the Vertex 3 SSD's which aren't out yet?

NB: trigger just pulled on the MBP
    Last edited by GeoffP; 2nd March 2011 at 05:52 PM.

From here: Macintosh Performance Guide: New Apple MacBook Pro SATA Ports? SATA 6Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s

Its seems the primary HDD is SATA3 and the Optical bay is SATA2. Given it's got Sandy Bridge inside it's not at all unsurprising.

So *technically* the Vertex 3 could use the better port in the new MBP's. It's also the "newer tech" so should be incrementally better. Is it worth waiting for? Or paying more for? That all depends on how it actually performs and what the price difference is.
    Drive a VW?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast