Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Dual external monitors off a laptop, without using a shitty USB graphics card. YESSSSS
    This and high speed I/O is the only reason I keep a desktop around.

It's nice to see that the HD webcam comes back - this was in the last gen aluminium c2d model (2008) and I was very pissed off when they took it OUT when they moved to the unibody enclosure.

Now... HOW can I run multiple displays?? I don't see any adapters that are daisy-chainable yet ....

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    This and high speed I/O is the only reason I keep a desktop around.

It's nice to see that the HD webcam comes back - this was in the last gen aluminium c2d model (2008) and I was very pissed off when they took it OUT when they moved to the unibody enclosure.

Now... HOW can I run multiple displays?? I don't see any adapters that are daisy-chainable yet ....
    I think the idea is to have dual ports on monitors in future but I'm willing to bet there would be hubs out pretty soon with capability to run dual screens as well as a myriad of other ports. They also mentioned hubs for running to FW and USB as well so the upside for that is I can put in a hub at home for my monitor, external drives FW800 and USB drives all running to a single point on my laptop without having to worry about plugging in separate devices which effectively gives you a hub equivalent of a docking station.
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

Quote Originally Posted by keeleyg View Post
    I am very disappointed not to see blu-ray support yet again. Apple were one of the original companies to sign up for the standard, but is now the only manufacturer without even a CTO option to install one. I have had a steady stream of Macs over the years and have been pleased that they have always been brimming with latest technology such as Thunderbolt, but no blu-ray (not even reader) is starting to look a little lame. Might even be tempted to go back to the dark side and buy a Sony VAIO as my next machine!!

Flogging a dead horse, they've stated clearly it's not going to happen. Buy yourself a USB Blu-ray drive, or better yet a ThunderBolt one, and be done with it

How much of an improvement is a SSD in anything other than boot speeds? I'm trying to decide if it would be a worthwhile add on on a BTO 15" MBP. My main usage is email, websurfing, Virtual Machines, Mathematica simulations and Excel modelling.
    White MacBook 2.2GHz 4GB RAM Leopard, White 3G iPhone 16GB

Much quicker for everything. Everything is instant open. Mail is a one bounce open.

Here is a comparison I did with opening multiple adobe apps - 20 seconds vs 2 minutes
    YouTube - SSD vs Spindle - The ultimate death by Adobe comparison

The key thing with startup is when you start your machine, the moment the snow leopard screen shows you can start work, instead of waiting for all the apps to load. Apps like aperture load immediately because they key limitation they have is the access to data quickly. Spotlight searches happen instantly instead of type - wait a second or two - response. Its difficult to explain until you have worked with it. The closest thing I could compare it to is trying to run Snow Leopard on 1Gb vs 4GB and having multiple apps open.

Huge difference to VM's by the way.
    Last edited by MissionMan; 25th February 2011 at 01:08 PM.
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

Can i expect these to be on display today in the offical apple stores?

Quote Originally Posted by keeleyg View Post
    I am very disappointed not to see blu-ray support yet again. Apple were one of the original companies to sign up for the standard, but is now the only manufacturer without even a CTO option to install one. I have had a steady stream of Macs over the years and have been pleased that they have always been brimming with latest technology such as Thunderbolt, but no blu-ray (not even reader) is starting to look a little lame. Might even be tempted to go back to the dark side and buy a Sony VAIO as my next machine!!
    The problem is DRM at kernel level in the OS. Apple refuse to allow their code to be compromised with 3rd party code that only serves for DRM. If only Microsoft weren't so quick to jump aboard and inject any old crap into the Windows kernel, things might be significantly different - the Blu-Ray association would be forced to reconsider their ill-conceived DRM and everyone would be better off.
    If it is hidden, it is the flower - Zeami, Noh playwright

Really want an iMac, but waiting for an update. Hopefully not much longer to go since compared to the latest MBP's iMac's are looking pretty underwhelming. Hopefully they finally put a decent graphics card in.
    :P

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhum_Eramak View Post
    I thought the Intel HD 3000 Graphics were better than the nVidia GeForce 320m? I recall people being shocked at the official Sandy Bridge launch thing Intel had...
    Nope. They are somewhere between the 320 and the old 9400.
    Anyone who cares about GPU performance should get a laptop with dedicated GPU, but this hasn't changed.

The new pro has only one hole on the front now.

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

looks like a thinner bezel around the screen, are the overall dimensions smaller even though the screen is the same?

Quote Originally Posted by moto51 View Post
    The new pro has only one hole on the front now.

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

looks like a thinner bezel around the screen, are the overall dimensions smaller even though the screen is the same?
    What do you mean ''hole on the front''?

The bezel is the same size, it's just a spec upgrade, body is exactly the same.
    :P

Yep. Picked mine up after work this afternoon.
    iMac - 27"/2013
    MBP - 15"/2013
    iPhone 6+ - 128gb/Telstra

Quote Originally Posted by dmw View Post
    is the base model 13" cheaper? - i can't recall the old price.
    Yep. Also noticed a few other things on the store are cheaper. Eg looking at the mac mini apple has dropped the price on ram and hard drive upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Much quicker for everything. Everything is instant open. Mail is a one bounce open.

Here is a comparison I did with opening multiple adobe apps - 20 seconds vs 2 minutes
    YouTube - SSD vs Spindle - The ultimate death by Adobe comparison
    Thanks for that, made my mind up!

Hmm. Now I have a dilemma of whether to get the MBA for its portability or one of these 15" for a kick ass desktop replacement! The 15" looks like great value, but I just have a few questions for those in the know. What is the biggest benefit of upgrading the screen resolution? The purpose of a MBP for me is for photo editing using Lightroom and Photoshop and maybe some light video editing using Adobe Premiere. Also, is the 8GB Ram upgrade worth it? The benchmarks are certainly pointing the way of the higher end MBP (as expected) but is that also worth the extra $249?

Looks like the new MBP's also have SATA 3 which means drives like the OCZ vertex 3 will run at full speed. Read/Write at 500MB/s vs the current 280MB/s

Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Looks like the new MBP's also have SATA 3 which means drives like the OCZ vertex 3 will run at full speed. Read/Write at 500MB/s vs the current 280MB/s
    *drool*

That fact alone is worth an upgrade to the new 13" MBP I reckon... Hopefully the Vertex 3 is out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    *drool*

That fact alone is worth an upgrade to the new 13" MBP I reckon... Hopefully the Vertex 3 is out soon.
    They're taking preorders for them now, but only available up to 240GB. The 400GB is coming later. Benchmarks from Anandtech of preview version

I want to transplant the 8gb of RAM in my mid 2009 13 inch MBP (1067) to a new 13 inch MBP (1333 isn't it?) Apart from running slower, will I notice any difference? Or do I really need to go and buy 8gb of the new RAM?

I had a quick play with the quad core Pro's this arvo at Bondi... and I have to say I'm very impressed. I'm leaning towards getting the Pro now instead of the Air.

Does anyone know if the Apple SSD option is worth the money, or should I just get the normal HDD and buy a Vertex 3 when it comes out? What type of SSDs are Apple using in their Pro's?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast