Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

I'll refurb one next year and salary sacrifice for the sweetener. There'll be peripherals with Thunderbolt by then too (and does anyone else think 'Thunderbolt' is a sucky name?). My i5 15" is currently fast enough. Wish they'd up spec the dang ridiculously underpowered Mac Mini I mean C2D? What gives!)
    15" i5 MBP + 09 MacMini(OCZ SSD) + 13" Al macbook + iPad2 + iPhone 4 + ATV 2 wit XBMC!

singular string user defined neg entropic point of assemblage.coastal- victoria

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor View Post
    I'll be getting one - currently have a base model 13" of the last generation (2.4ghz Core 2 Duo). While a screen res bump would've been great, not a deal breaker for me as I have it plugged into a external display 90% of the time.

Will go to the high-end 13" with 128gb SSD. Will try and find cash for 8GB RAM. 2.7GHZ i7 seems like a worthy reason to spend on an upgrade. Will sell current machine for approx $1100 I hope - still under warranty, with box and all original discs, etc.

why dont u do the ram yourself,get it from ram city,theyre cheap and good.then u can sell the 2 gig sticks etc,not that hard really.
    all is in the all, the all is in all,=so be nice.- haint that hard.

Ok im confused?!?!

I have a 2008 Macbook 13" (white) c2d 2.4Ghz 2gb ram.

Looking at 13" MBP i7 2.7Ghz

I use aperture3 a lot, and would like a significant improvement in my current speed, will this offer this given its just "intel graphics" I was hoping for some sort of graphics card!??

Also what is the story warranty wise putting 3rd party ram and SSD into them?
    (OWC has some really cheap stuff with current exchange rate!!!)

Thanks in advance!
    Apple Macbook 13" 2.4GHz core 2 duo.
    Apple 16Gb iPhone 3GS
    Apple iPad2 32Gb Wifi+3G Black

Quote Originally Posted by arlibie View Post
    I'm a lil disappointed at the battery life going down from 10 hours to 7 hours on the 13", but Thunderbolt looks veeerrry interesting ...
    Battery life is the same. They've just changed the way they rate them to be more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by fotografer View Post
    Lack of a 1680x1050 screen option on the new 15-in Sandy Bridge MBP killed most of the interest for me ...
    That's definitely a CTO option:

Like others, I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of the higher res screen in the 13". After all, if it's in the air, it should be in the PRO. Still, all I have at the moment is a 13" Macbook 2.1ghz C2D that only works while plugged in. Would an upgrade to the new one be good? If so, is there any significant difference between the i5 and i7? Certainly more of a difference than the 2.4/2.66 previously :P
    MacBook Pro 13" 2.3gHz i5 4GB RAM; Late 2008 MacBook 2.1gHz C2D 2GB RAM; iPad 2 Wifi 16GB White; iPhone 4 Black 32GB; iPod nano 3rd gen 8GB

Personally... I'm a bit underwhelmed. I think my main drawback would be the graphics in the 13"...

Anyone know how the Intel 3000 compares with the 320M or the 9400M ?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Anyone know if the SSDs being put into the latest MacBooks are still shite and it's better off upgrading to an OCZ/Sandforce SSD?
    OCZ and OWC are considered to be the premium SSD's at the moment. Most of the tests I've seen show the Apple's running at about 200MB/s vs 280MB/s for the OCZ and OWC. I'm saving for an OWC 480GB at the moment. $1600 at the moment I miss my old SSD, but the gskill reliability was crap.

Will salary sacrifice another one when it gets to my annual upgrade time but I have a couple of months before that time arrives.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by aero_nz View Post
    Ok im confused?!?!

I have a 2008 Macbook 13" (white) c2d 2.4Ghz 2gb ram.

Looking at 13" MBP i7 2.7Ghz

I use aperture3 a lot, and would like a significant improvement in my current speed, will this offer this given its just "intel graphics" I was hoping for some sort of graphics card!??

Also what is the story warranty wise putting 3rd party ram and SSD into them?
    (OWC has some really cheap stuff with current exchange rate!!!)

Thanks in advance!
    I'd throw in the SSD and then try the RAM if you aren't happy with that. In my experience, the SSD is so good you may not need the ram upgrade.
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

Ordered a 15" 2.2Ghz with 8GB and the hi-res shiny display. Will update it myself to a 1TB 7200 HDD as soon as they are available.

Can't wait for it to arrive.

Hurry up, Hurry up.
    The bridge is crossed, so stand and watch it burn.

Very underwhelmed, Windows user here, this was to be the notebook to make the switch to OSX but I'm really disappointed.

13" Graphics is a step backwards, and no option for high res Display, If the AIR has it why can't the PRO?

Should have kept the prices the same and given us more of an upgrade.

Bigger jump later in the year perhaps??

Think ill take the advise, grab a ssd, and a ipad2 instead.
    Apple Macbook 13" 2.4GHz core 2 duo.
    Apple 16Gb iPhone 3GS
    Apple iPad2 32Gb Wifi+3G Black

Quote Originally Posted by Tzortst View Post
    13" Graphics is a step backwards, and no option for high res Display, If the AIR has it why can't the PRO?
    Eh? 1440x900 is the same in both machines (13" Air and 13" MBP). Neither has CTO to a higher res display that I can see.
    This opinion intentionally left blank.

The 13" has a 1280x800 screen, and the 15" has a default res of 1440x900. The 13" doesn't even have a CTO for 1440x900. It is a bit of a disappointment.
    If it is hidden, it is the flower - Zeami, Noh playwright

Quote Originally Posted by bartron View Post
    Eh? 1440x900 is the same in both machines (13" Air and 13" MBP). Neither has CTO to a higher res display that I can see.
    HUH?

13" MBP - 1280 by 800
    13" MBA - 1440 by 900

Not to mention no option for antiglare display

13" MBP shouldn't be classed in the PRO range

ah, it does too. My mistake.

I guess that's Apple pushing the Air as slightly superior to the 13" MBP and pushing 13" MBP purchasers to the 15" but TBH, is it that big of a deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzortst View Post
    HUH?

13" MBP - 1280 by 800
    13" MBA - 1366 by 768
    13" MBA is 1440x900 on the tech specs page (1366x768 is the res for the 11"). The 13" MBP is 1280x800. I must have confused myself flipping back and forth on the pages.
    This opinion intentionally left blank.

The 13" only has a screen with 1280x800 available. No customise option for any other resolution.

The 15" has 1440x900 as standard with an option for 1680x1050 (glossy & matte).

Also did you know the matte screens have a silver frame, not a black frame?

ah, it does too. My mistake.

I guess that's Apple pushing the Air as slightly superior to the 13" MBP and pushing 13" MBP purchasers to the 15" but TBH, is it that big of a deal?
    It seems that way, Might have to consider the 15" :|

Would these be on display today at the official apple stores from today?

Anyone know if Doncaster has 13 inch's in stock?

I thought the Intel HD 3000 Graphics were better than the nVidia GeForce 320m? I recall people being shocked at the official Sandy Bridge launch thing Intel had...
    If it is hidden, it is the flower - Zeami, Noh playwright

I am very disappointed not to see blu-ray support yet again. Apple were one of the original companies to sign up for the standard, but is now the only manufacturer without even a CTO option to install one. I have had a steady stream of Macs over the years and have been pleased that they have always been brimming with latest technology such as Thunderbolt, but no blu-ray (not even reader) is starting to look a little lame. Might even be tempted to go back to the dark side and buy a Sony VAIO as my next machine!!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast