Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_D View Post
    What i would be interested in seeing is if these new MBPs can handle 16GB of ram or are they limited to 8GB by EFI?

Similar to what the Unibody Macbooks were, even though the chipset could handle 8GB they could only see a matched pair 4GB (2x2GB).... or an unmatched pair of 6GB (2GB+4GB)

I only say this because the chipset is compatible.

But then again it IS an expensive test to perform. Maybe someone like Ramcity can test this out for us to see?
    Right now it's not possible for us to test the 8GB sodimm modules - they just aren't available. We'll update our website if we find out anything new though...

cheers, Rod
    Rod - CEO @ RamCity
    ---------------------------------
    Apple Mac Memory (RAM), SSD and Hard Drive Upgrades

Default help needed re. games + mbp 15"

I've never been a Mac user (primarily because of the lack of compatibility with most games before), but with a lot of new games now having Mac compatibility and also the option of running a Mac in windows OS also, I'm considering getting a Mbp 15" with the following customised specs:
    2.5ghz intel core i7
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm (might not upgrade that one)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 AMD Radeon HD 6770M 配 1GB GDDR5

what im wondering is, if im going to be running a game (eg. Skyrim) with these recommended system reqs:

* CPU: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
    * RAM: 4 GB
    * Graphics: 1 GB Graphics Memory covered above (AMD Radeon)
    * Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
    * DirectX: Version 9.0c

for say 2 hrs, my main concern is overheating. with my other laptops the main problem i had always ended up being overheating, although i could use a fanhack to up the fan and just physically clean it out a bit more (when the dust starts to collect) to keep it a bit cooler. dont think i could open up a mac as easily from looking @ the casing (and i dont think i want to open it up either..), im not sure if the fan is up to cooling the computer enough when running something requiring high specs for a few hours.

My primary purpose of getting a Mbp is not for gaming, as i will be also be using it for other purposes - but i definitely will also be playing a lot of games on it. Also planning to play a fair amount of Guildwars 2 when it comes out.

Please advise if the Mbp with specs above would be suitable for the amount of gaming and the spec requirements of the game I play.

Many thanks!

I often play Battlefield 3 on my late 2011 2.4Ghz 15" MacBook Pro with the 6770m graphics chip using Boot Camp and the computer has never overheated. My laptop is raised on a stand, designed for ergonomics, which also helps keep the computer a little cooler by raising it off the desk. Although Skyrim and Battlefield are very different games, I think they would both be comparable in the processing demand placed on the GPU and CPU. I think as long as you don't overclock, or play games with the MacBook Pro on thick carpet (blocking ventilation), you'll be fine.

Oh and it's also pretty easy to open up the MacBook Pro. Some Windows laptops I've used in the past only had one or two specific sections to open to access RAM or HDDs, where as the MacBook Pro has a single panel for the entire underside, offering access to the almost the entire system.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11