Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default internet connection problem

Hi guys, i am new to the forum and know nothing about the ipad and have an ipad with 3g. I have a problem already, and that is when i turn my ipad on and open "safari" to browes the web, i cant seem to connect, and find that i have to turn it off and on to get connected. Is this normal. Its a pain in the left tit. Its always showing "wifi not connected". Please excuse the simple question as i am a total newbie at this.

Do you have a Wi-Fi network where you are? (i.e. a wireless network that you connect to with computers around your house)

If not, then Wi-Fi won't connect unless it's somewhere near a public Wi-Fi hotspot.

As far as 3G is concerned, have you purchased a sim card for it (or did it come with one when you purchased)? Has that sim been activated? Does it have credit available?

Be default, an iPad should try Wi-Fi first, then if that fails it'll move on to using a 3G connection. If it can't get either then it won't have Internet.

David

hey dave, thanks for the reply. i have a wi fi network where i am which is tannum sands in qld. Maybe like you said, it might not be in the hotspot so to speak. I have activated my micro sim with telstra and have connected to the net before. I am beginning to understand when you say it tries first with wi fi and the 3g. The problem is that i have to turn the ipad off and on again to connect. I just cant see why it dont connect the first time when i turn it on. It does this every time i turn it on.You can bet when i turn it on it wont connect the first time until i turn it off and then on again. I really dont understand wifi, whats the difference 3G in wireless also. I'm confused?. Pardon my ignorence.(hehe)