Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Old Files - Unreadable

Does anyone know how to convert old files saved as OS9 Appleworks files.
    I have Appleworks 6 and Pages installed on my iMac OSX, but when I try to open these old (precious) files I get the I/O error message.

In general, I haven't had any trouble opening AppleWorks 6 files in newer programs with a couple of provisos. (I'm still using AppleWorks 6 at present, simply because I have a couple of large files in the database format.)

First, Pages Help says that you can only import word processing documents.

Second, Numbers has opened AppleWorks spreadsheet files for me, though they sometimes need a bit of work to restore the formatting.

Third, there is no way of opening old AppleWorks database files, except in AppleWorks itself.

Given that you are getting the I/O message, I am wondering whether it isn't corruption of the files that has happened, rather than a problem with the program. What sort/s of files are you trying to open?
    We've got lumps of it round the back.

Thanks for your response Alex.
    The files that I am trying to open are text and draw.
    They were created using OS9 and Appleworks 4 or 5 - can't remember.
    I don,t believe it is a corruption problem, but rather incompatibility. Something that, I believe, should not be with Mac applications.

I wouldn't be too hopeful about drawing ones, but Pages Help (you may have looked already) suggests trying to open word processing files as simple TextEdit files (.txt or .rtf). I would have thought that files made in AppleWorks 4 or 5 would be able to be opened in AppleWorks 6, however, even if some conversion were necessary.

There are a number of AppleWorks User Groups still around that often have good ideas. Google may help you; it has helped me a number of times in the past.

Good luck.
    We've got lumps of it round the back.

I have had the issue with files created with AppleWorks 5 or so needing to be upgraded to Appleworks 6 in order for pages to be able to open it.

The best solution I had was to put a call out on twitter and send the file to a chap that had Appleworks running on an old machine.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieM View Post
    They were created using OS9 and Appleworks 4 or 5 - can't remember.
    I don,t believe it is a corruption problem, but rather incompatibility. Something that, I believe, should not be with Mac applications.
    We have a lot of older ClarisWorks files here - from version 2.1, 4.x & 5.x. I'm pretty sure the only ones I get the I/O error on are the V2.1 files. These may be the same format as V3.x. From what I can remember, V4.x files open OK in AppleWorks 6, but require re-saving in the new format.

Regardless of where & when the change happened, you will almost certainly need an older version of ClarisWorks/AppleWorks to open these if AppleWorks 6.x won't do it. ClarisWorks 5.x used to run fine in Classic, so you don't need to do it in MacOS 9 or anything. You just need a machine & OS that runs Classic, with CW5 installed on it, such as older iMacs or G3/G4 towers.

There is no other solution that I'm aware of, but try searching for AppleWorks user groups &/or on Apple's discussion forums for more info.