Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Question Time machine error 17 and 45

I am using an external hard disc - Seagate goFlex Home connected to Wifi Router. The first time machine setup worked fine and I got to backup my Mac probook just fine. After a month I got error messages saying backup failed. now I try to create a new backup by 1. selecting backup disc NONE and then 2 creating new backup -selecting the backup device and time machine tries to "make disc space available" - this is taking about 2 minutes. Then I get an error message: Time machine could not complete the backup. The backup disk image"/Volumes/GoFlexHome Public-1/KM's MacBook Pro.sparsebundle" could not be created (error 45). The error is displayed as error 17 as well.
    I have no problem accessing the network drive at all

thanks
    Kai

In my experience, backing up using Time Machine to a disk connected to your wireless router works perfectly well - until it doesn't. I had the same thing happen to me when I used a NAS drive.

Unless you are using a Time Capsule, you really are better off connecting the disk directly to your machine.
    Live life with Blue Sun

Seconded.

Because Time Machine uses a dual-ended checksum protocol, it is only compatible with a directly-connected USB/FW/SATA drive, a networked Time Capsule, or another Mac running OSX 10.5.2 or greater. Even though Apple's own AEBS lets Time Machine save its backup bundle to an AirDisk, it is officially unsupported.

Once a Time Machine archive develops a fault, the entire archive is un-usable, and should be deleted and the whole backup started over from scratch.

Brains,

Don't give up so easily. The issue with backing up over a network is that you may not have sufficient privilege to write into the folders on the network drive and/or the .sparsebundle file. Change the Sharing & Permissions for everyone to Read & Write for all folders to where your backups will be stored and the .sparebundle file. Doing this allowed me to continue backing up without having to start from scratch.

John

Can also try using disk utility to repair the sparsbundle

Quote Originally Posted by ednap View Post
    Can also try using disk utility to repair the sparsbundle
    That didn't work when mine went gaga.
    Live life with Blue Sun

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPrewitt View Post
    The issue with backing up over a network is that you may not have sufficient privileges .... Doing this allowed me to continue backing up without having to start from scratch.
    If you have placed it on a network share and meddled with the permissions, then the validity and trustworthiness of the entire archive is now suspect.

Re-read what I said -- I don't have a problem with Time Machine, Time Machine has a problem with network share destinations that are not compliant becuase it is a dual ended protocol. As soon as you step outside the protocols and use a destination that is not a directly-connected HFS Extended volume, a Time Capsule, or another Mac running OSX 10.5.2 or greater, then the chance of TM archive corruption jumps from 'virtually impossible' to 'virtually guaranteed'.

The only way you can safely use and trust a non-compliant network device as a Time Machine destination (linux box, NAS, Mybook World Edition, Drobo etc) is if you create a fixed-size, non-encrypted, no-compression disk image file (.dmg) on the remote share and mount it to your local desktop. This fools Time Machine into treating it as if it were a direct-connection volume, and the virtual volume and AFP APIs will work together to handle the checksumming and validity of the disk image.

Anything else places the integrity of your backup at risk.