Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: Library Apps

Default Library Apps

I'm looking for an app to catalogue all my various media for insurance, keeping track of when I loan to people, and stuff like that.
    I want to be able to catalogue videos (DVD/Blu Ray/HD DVD), games (almost every console known to man), and music (CDs).
    I've only been able to find one program that looks like it meets my needs, Delicious Library 2, so I'm going to trial that to be sure.
    But before I drop $40 on it I just wanna know, if there's any other program that might do my job better?

I searched for topics but couldn't find any, so sorry if this has already been asked.
     15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.66Ghz | iPhone 5 32GB |  iPad Retina 3rd Generation 32GB Wifi
    Trading feedback thread

Somebody loves being organised! I'd love to help but have no experience with such apps.
    :P

Yagan Kiely
    Website || IMSLP || Pirate Party Australia
     2008 MacBook Pro 15" — 2010 MacBook Air 13" — iPhone 4 (32gb) — iPad 3G 64gb— etc.

Wow thanks, I'll try those out!
    One thing about Delicious I've just found is that it only supports US stuff, which isn't a massive problem but it'd be nice to have AU covers and prices listed.
    That Hunter Suite looks pretty enticing, syncing with iPhone is always a nice feature for me.
     15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.66Ghz | iPhone 5 32GB |  iPad Retina 3rd Generation 32GB Wifi
    Trading feedback thread

So I've tried them both out. Not sure about the Hunter Suite, Amazon data-fetching doesn't seem to work all that fantastically (unless I'm doing it wrong).
    Librarian Pro looks like it'll do the job, just not as prettily as Delicious Library.
    One thing missing from most seems to be the ability to sync across multiple Macs, but I guess I can deal with that.
    Trading feedback thread

I'm sure there are others out there, but as I'm not as organised (and I don't like physical media) so I don't really use this stuff.
    Yagan Kiely
     2008 MacBook Pro 15" — 2010 MacBook Air 13" — iPhone 4 (32gb) — iPad 3G 64gb— etc.

I believe Personal Database and Organizer Software | Bento 3 may dod what you're wanting also.
    Yagan Kiely

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaCatfish View Post
    I'm looking for an app to catalogue all my various media for insurance, keeping track of when I loan to people, and stuff like that.
    I want to be able to catalogue videos (DVD/Blu Ray/HD DVD), games (almost every console known to man), and music (CDs).
    I've only been able to find one program that looks like it meets my needs, Delicious Library 2, so I'm going to trial that to be sure.
    But before I drop $40 on it I just wanna know, if there's any other program that might do my job better?

I searched for topics but couldn't find any, so sorry if this has already been asked.

I can not give Bruji's pedia applications a bigger wrap. They have 4 programs one each for CD's, DVD's, Game's & Book's.

$19.46 ea or $39.00 for 3 or $49.00 for all 4 (Aussie $)

Yes I know these are separate programs for each catalogue, where others are all-in-one programs. But each separate program does its individual job exceedingly well.

This is a husband and wife company and it is all they do. Their support is the best I have every come across. Check out their forums. Usually reply within 24 hours.

I only use the DVDpedia (288 DVD's) and Bookpedia (783 books) and growing. I am able to download each of my catalogues to my Nokia phone so I do not double up purchases when shopping. You can also download to your iPod and your mobile me account. My DVD list here and Book list here. If you know bit of CSS or/and HTML programing you can modify and/or create your own lists. I have modified the DVD list to show which are my Bali purchases and the ASIN/UPC/ISBN numbers.

The program interface is very similar to iTunes layout. You can include as little or as much information as you want. It has single and multiple entry editing. It has List View, Cover View and Cover Flow.

But the greatest thing with these programs is that you can use you Mac's inbuilt iSight camera as a bar code scanner. I personally use a plugin USB camera ( Agent V5) as I have Essential Tremor in my hands.

Yes, it does have a "Borrowed" facility which will send of an email to the borrower when it is due or overdue.

The "Look-up" of international data bases is very extensive. For DVDpedia it even looks at JB HiFi and ezydvd.com.au data bases as well as amazon us & uk and IMDb with a total of 24 databases so far. For Bookpedia 18 databases including: amazon uk & us and the University of Sydney. They are very quick to fix these when sites change their layout tables. Of cause they also rely upon uses to report these problems. If the data base does not have the correct cover artwork for your product (which can be the case in Australia with books) you are able to scan in your own.

Now I trialled Delicious Library 2 when it first came out and did not like it. The big dislike was its lack of Australian data base look-ups. This may have changed by now, I do not know. I also did not like its UI.

All I can say now is give these programs a try, I believe you will like them.

NOTE: They are working on and awaiting approval for an iPhone/iPad app. They have had copyright problems with Google over this. These may be rectified by now - check out the their forums.
    Last edited by FineWine; 7th December 2010 at 10:31 AM.
    iMac 27" 3.2Gb with 32Gb RAM, 2Tb Time Capsule & Airport Express,
    iPod 5.5 30g, iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPad Mini
    Bruji the best cataloguing programs for Mac OS & iOS

Quote Originally Posted by FineWine View Post
    I can not give Bruji's pedia applications a bigger wrap. They have 4 programs one each for CD's, DVD's, Game's & Book's.

$19.46 ea or $39.00 for 3 or $49.00 for all 4 (Aussie $)

Yes I know these are separate programs for each catalogue, where others are all-in-one programs. But each separate program does its individual job exceedingly well.
    When I switched to Mac back in 2004 I did heaps of trials and research for a DVD catalogue / library app.

I used DVDpedia and BookPedia for years!
    Great developers, very responsive... and with their assistance they developed Aust / R4 plug ins very quickly.
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

I'm using Movie Collectorz, Book Collectorz and Music Collectorz all because they integrate with my iPhone which stops me buying duplicates. With close to 1000 DVD titles its hard to remember what I have and what I dont.

See here Collection Database Software for Windows, Mac OS X, iPhone, iPad and Android

But the greatest thing with these programs is that you can use you Mac's inbuilt iSight camera as a bar code scanner. I personally use a plugin USB camera ( Agent V5) as I have Essential Tremor in my hands.

Yes, it does have a "Borrowed" facility which will send of an email to the borrower when it is due or overdue.
    Those two features are worth the purchase price alone.
    Good write-up FineWine !
    I'm sure you could customise the email message to the borrower to something stronger too - along the lines of " hey dipstick - gimme my frigging book back ! "
    This feature alone would have saved me countless lost books/DVDs/CDs/tools over the years , that's for sure.

Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------