Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi Everyone,

Last night my G4 1.5 Superdrive 12" Powerbook was stolen form my car in Northbridge, Perth.

If anyone sees one for sale from Perth could you let me know so I can check the serial number.

Serial Number is: S4H51708LRJ7.

Only 5 months old

Thanks,

Chris
    MacBook Pro C2D 2.4, MacPro Dual Quad 2.8, MacBook Dual 1.83, PowerMac MDD 1.25, PowerMac Quicksilver, eMac 1.0

:/

That sucks man. All the best with finding it.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

Sorry to hear that mate. :o

It's not nice when stuff is stolen (that's kinda stating the obvious)...I've had a very expensive Mountain Bike stolen off the back of our car when we were staying overnight at Air on our way up to Cairns. (and yes, it was padlocked onto the car)
    http://samuelclarke.com
    Successful trades: iSlayer, aequitas, James, froggy, loc04t, MightyAtom, macintoshix, areal, therevenge, Razer, clockwork, chrissara, bartron and garrymacdonald

They didn't take the power adapter - so it would be pretty easy to spot if someone tried to flog it.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
    MacBook Pro C2D 2.4, MacPro Dual Quad 2.8, MacBook Dual 1.83, PowerMac MDD 1.25, PowerMac Quicksilver, eMac 1.0

That sucks.

I live in Northbridge. Was it in plain view? Where was the car parked?

I will keep an eye out for it, in case anyone is offering it for sale in the street.

Dan

It was in the Francis Street Carpark and the laptop was in an STM sleeve inside a bigger bag behind the drivers seat - they wouldn't have seen it until they had broken into the car. They left the bigger bag and took the Laptop/sleeve.

Police came and did forensics this morning - came up with nothing of any use.

Thanks for keeping an eye out.

Chris,

That's a real pain. You used to be able to register an Apple product as stolen through Apple's support staff. If you contact customer relations on 133-622 they should be able to let you know the process to register the serial as stolen.

Adam.
    OS X doesn't need viruses. The users **** up the system by themselves.

You'd be best to check out the local pawn shops, Crack Converters and trading post for anything suspicious. Sorry to hear of your loss of one PB.

JB

You live in Perth, take Roto's PB :P. Sorry to hear about the loss though.
    2.66ghz MacBook Pro i7, 23" Apple Cinema Display.

Arrow

Sorry to hear about that Chris, if you need an OSX you could borrow my B&W until you get it back.... very sorry indeed. People that do this need to be shot <_< <_<
    Antec 1200 Tower - 3.4GHz i7 | 16GB | 2TB | Win 7 Ultimate
    iBook G4 1.33Ghz | iPad Mini Wifi 16GB | iPhone 4S 16GB | Apple TV Gen2 | iPad 2 Wifi 16GB

dang.. what pricks..

northbridge is dodgey&#33; i&#39;ll keep an eye out in perth for ya.. next person i see with a PB i&#39;ll pounce..
    "WHERE&#39;D YOU GET THAT?????????? WHATS THE SERIAL NUMBER???????"

That sucks dude, It&#39;s going to be mighty hard to track down again

Thanks for the tip blakat - I will do that.

Roto - thanks for the offer mate. I have a PowerMac at home that will suit for the moment.

It sucks because I use it for presentations when I go to interested clients (I am a wedding photographer).

Good thing all my stuff is safely backed up on my tower and on DVD.

Thanks again for all your help.

Chris

I rang Apple and they said that there is no such register now. They just took my details but said that it would not be tracked or anything.

It seems like this would be a great idea as sooner or later someone is going to ring Apple and have to quote that serial number.

is times like these you really needed to have that little app installed that dials home when your mac connects to the internet. Then you report it stolen to the app makers and they track your mac every time it connects to the net. I just can&#39;t quite remember the name of the service/app.
    garethtownsend.info

Melbourne Cocoaheads! - we're cuckoo for cocoa apps!

Originally posted by Quamen@Oct 21 2005, 12:42 PM
    is times like these you really needed to have that little app installed that dials home when your mac connects to the internet. Then you report it stolen to the app makers and they track your mac every time it connects to the net. I just can&#39;t quite remember the name of the service/app.
    they have a version for mac - http://www.pcphonehome.com/

Originally posted by montfort@Oct 21 2005, 01:06 PM
    they have a version for mac - http://www.pcphonehome.com/
    Would that not be totally useless if they just formatted the machine? Obviously theifs are dumb though so the chance of it happening is minimal.
    "Some say, that if you hold him in the wrong way, he doesn't work properly..."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

MacPhoneHome doesn&#39;t allow the hard drive to be formatted or the OS to be reinstalled... apparently....
    Pain is temporary. Quiting lasts forever.

Wow - that looks really quite good - horse has bolted of course

Thats sucks mate, my 15" just packed it in and I was gutterd at least now I know why people back up&#33;

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast