Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default iPhoto upgrade from '08 to '11

Firstly my apologies if this isn't posted in the correct place or has already been asked.

I have just purchased a brand new macbook pro. I have all my photos on my old macbook running iphoto '08. I want to move them exactly as they are (modified and all) to my new macbook pro. I do not have a firewire cable but do have an external hard drive.

I have read lots of forums on this but no one answers my question exactly and don't want to screw it up. What do I do!?!?

Thanks in advance.

Have a read through here:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/14/6241...ween-macs.html

I'd offer more advice, but I don't use iPhoto.
    Trades: nez, step_andy, montfort, mikinoz, decryption, malfunction99, amstrad_mac, ZirconiumZephyr, Trabb, natakim, thatfilthyspringbok, skip73, SoVeReIgN, akshunhiro, jeremy warnock, alastair, NathR32, krasivy, everunman, areal, takamine

I guess what I want to know is do i move the iPhoto Library icon from old computer directly onto new computer in same spot. When I do it says " a newer version of iPhoto Library exist, do you want to replace it". Just want to make sure this is correct and isnt going to screw up iPhoto '11

when you say "iPhoto Library icon" you aren't moving the iPhoto.app are you? Or are you definitely moving the library itself?

If you are, then from what you are saying, its bringing up the default dialog when you copy and replace files on anything (Mac or PC).

From this, I would copy the library somewhere, and import it to the new iPhoto library, as I suspect the new iPhoto library might be a bit different to your old version
    .: iPhone 3GS - 32gig - black .:. iMac 24" Intel .:. iPad 64gig Wi-Fi + 3G .:. 2011 17" MBP :.

I go into my pictures folder and drag that icon (iPhoto Library). Main thing I want is the photos to be imported with changes I have already made to them.