Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

wow, from what i'm reading on most forums, the prices seem to be pushing folks towards "less traditional" means of acquiring ebooks. someone has made a rod for their own back!

I spend bucket loads on iTunes already, I for one, will be sticking with my local bookstore. there is just no incentive to buy an ebook.

I had a look and, like many here, I was a bit shocked at the prices. We all know it's cheaper to distribute eBooks than print so they're clearly just lining their pockets. They'd want to be careful about creating a black market for these on torrent sites with those prices!

Quote Originally Posted by kenexx View Post
    Holy crap! With those prices I will still be buying my books with my US iTunes account. Also my Amazon US account as well as I can then get them on my iPad as well.
    Where are you buying your credit from?

Vzzzbx's Avatar Vzzzbx is offline There is a god and his name is NOT Bob Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Ozracingwrap View Post
    Yes but the Amazon Australian book store has ok pricing, John Howard for example is $16.99 so this has a bit to do with Publishers and Apple.
    The iBookstore is operating on what's called the 'agency model', which is a euphemism for publisher-led price-fixing. Incredibly greedy and short-sighted.

Default iBook shop

Hardly any books to buy and the ones that are available are still way overpriced. A quick comparison has Girl With A Pearl Earring$7 cheaper at the kindle shop.
    I don't think apple are serious about selling ebooks in Oz. Only a fool would use the shop when you can probably even get the hardcopy cheaper.

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Seany View Post
    Hardly any books to buy and the ones that are available are still way overpriced. A quick comparison has Girl With A Pearl Earring$7 cheaper at the kindle shop.
    I don't think apple are serious about selling ebooks in Oz. Only a fool would use the shop when you can probably even get the hardcopy cheaper.
    As it is the publishers setting the price in the iBookstore that would indicate that protection of their existing business model is the driver. That it won't work is alesson they have trouble learning.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

Vzzzbx's Avatar Vzzzbx is offline There is a god and his name is NOT Bob Ellis

Borders has just slashed its ebook prices to undercut Apple. That didn't take long.

I am glad that finally there is some real content but those prices.......

Main issue for me with iBooks is no syncing between devices. I read my Amazon Kindle App purchased book at night on the iPad and if I find a few spare minutes during the day the same book on the iPhone. All beautifully synced.

No doubt with time Apple will match/improve on this feature but until then it's Amazon all the way.
    The bridge is crossed, so stand and watch it burn.

Thumbs down The truly ridiculous thing about iBooks ...

Do a search for "programming" or "objective" or "python" or "unix" and you come up with pretty much nothing. Even a search for "iphone" only comes up with a single lame survivor's guide title.

You'd think that a book store run by Apple would have a slew of programming/computer books available.

But you'd be wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Kap View Post
    Do a search for "programming" or "objective" or "python" or "unix" and you come up with pretty much nothing. Even a search for "iphone" only comes up with a single lame survivor's guide title.
    O'Reilly is a good place for those. Every now and again, they'll offer their titles for $9.99 USD each.

Quote Originally Posted by scar68 View Post
    I am glad that finally there is some real content but those prices.......

Main issue for me with iBooks is no syncing between devices. I read my Amazon Kindle App purchased book at night on the iPad and if I find a few spare minutes during the day the same book on the iPhone. All beautifully synced.

No doubt with time Apple will match/improve on this feature but until then it's Amazon all the way.
    Acutally, iBooks does sync between devices. Tested and tried on iPad and iPhone... but the prices are just stupid. I've no idea what the Australian publishers are thinking. They probably have cut their prices a *bit*, but Apple will still want its cut, whatever that is, and hence prices are staying the same or close to what you'd pay for a paperbook.

[edit] Just checked, seems that there is a ~$3 difference between the cheapest paperback version (Borders: Collins and A&R are around $8-10 more exy than Borders) and the iBooks ebook. Interestingly, have not been able to get ebook versions from Borders of some of the available stuff in the iBook store. CAN get from Amazon, the Kindle version, for less than half price in many cases. Given the state of the dollar... worth the purchase on Kindle, IMO.

"Non-traditional means of acquisition" is probably the least offensive way of saying to them "get your shit together, we are NOT paying those prices".
    Last edited by kyte; 6th November 2010 at 05:00 AM.

Something else I noticed is that you can spend $1.99 per, and get books which are free from other places. Pathetic ...really..

Well I bought my first iBook, Oreilly's "Cocoa and Objective-C: up and running". This was from US store.

Paid for it, downloaded it but I get the msg "Failed to load book. Requested resource missing"

First and last time I buy any iBook.

So much easier to go get them from other sources.

I gave it a try.... I usually use Stanza to read ebooks borrowed from my local library and found on Gutenberg etc. I have done this for a couple of years now via my ipod touch and find it a convenient way to read.

I was very disappointed by the iBooks app itself - on my 3G iphone it is slow, and too inflexible. The lack of night mode and rotation lock make it a dog of an app and unusable to start with. But... being able to buy local content was too much to resist trying...

The book I bought to try was $5.99 - "Improve your photography". The quality of this book was appalling. It was poorly written, had illustrations missing, sections repeated, sentences missing. There is no way I would shell out for a new release novel if this is indicative of the quality. Obviously there are different classes of books on there.

I agree that the more main-market books are way overpriced. Back to the Book depository I go.
    Macintosh SE (OS 7.1); 15" MBP Intel Core i5 2.4ghz (Snow Leopard); too many iGadgets

I can borrow a book from my local library for free and rent a DVD for the price of a couple of beers. I won't pay 'retail' for an ebook I am likely to read only once - besides there are no printing or distribution costs.

Gold Coast and Randwick libraries loan ebooks but my local library don't seem to be willing. Hopefully it will wake up.
    24" iMac - EyeTV digital dongle - satellite broadband - iPhone clone - 16G Wifi+ 3G iPad.

Well did a full restore. Still no dice. The book I bought $16.99 USD will not load.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with iOS 4.2 beta on the iPad.

Pleased to report that it opens ok on iOS 4.1 on the iPhone 4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2