Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Magic Trackpad: has it replaced your mouse ?

Hi there all.

I've had the Magic Trackpad for a while now and on occasion I have used it to replace my mouse completely (I use a Logitech G9X laser) .. but I always find myself going back to the mouse. I can't seem to make the permanent shift to the trackpad.. maybe it's the 20 years of mousing.

Has anyone made the switch permanently ? I use the trackpad just for gestures, two and three fingers etc.. has anyone found themselves being able to give up their mouse permanently ?

iMac 27" i5 | iPad 3G 64gb | Macbook Pro 13" (2011)| iPhone 4
    ....."There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't"

Yup, I've given up my desktop mouse altogether and just use the Magic Trackpad.

Me too - gave up mouse in favour of trackpad.

To make it happen I had to put the mouse away entirely (nowhere near it's normal position) to force myself to use the trackpad only. After a few weeks, I find myself easily more productive on the trackpad than a mouse - multi-touch gestures being almost entirely the reason for the improved productivity.

Default I still use both

I still use both. I use the trackpad for general computer stuff but still need the mouse when making my podcasts in Garageband. I find I have finer control in Garageband with my Logitech multi-function mouse especially when navigating the recording. My podcasts can be up to 1.5 hours long and I find the mouse gives me quicker and more precise control when editing the track. I even bought a Griffin Powermate but have found that it is not precise enough either (I think I'll put it on ebay!). It moves in increments when trying to locate precise points in the recording whereas the mouse allows me to pick a point in the recording to the precise second.

I'll still keep the trackpad though as it's great when I plug my laptop into the TV - the bluetooth trackpad and keyboard work a treat in this situation.

Paul
    iMac 27 inch 3.4 i7 32 GIG RAM / Macbook Pro C2D 2.33 / 32 GIG iPad 2 / 8 GIG Nano / 32 GIG iPod Touch
    Podcasts - Originz and Mysteries Abound

Yep, I seem to have moved totally to the trackpad as well. Just seems more natural to me.

My mouse is still sitting near my iMac, in the same spot I moved it to when the trackpad arrived. Never even considered switching back to it though.
    Get your dev groove on!

I use both side by side - no good reason and sometimes confusing

For the Mac Mini (which is a HTPC) there is only a trackpad, although it's mostly controlled by a remote.

For the MBP I use the builtin trackpad whenever I'm out, but have a mouse hooked up when I'm at my desk. I use a lot of gestures so find I am always switching between the two. To be honest I don't know what I would replace the mouse with a trackpad... something very comfortable about a mouse
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Yes, replaced my Magic Mouse with the Magic Trackpad.
    2012 Mac Mini 2.6 w/ 1TB Fusion Drive & 16GB RAM, Dell U2713HM Monitor | 15" MBP Unibody 2.66 | iPhone 5s Space Gray 32GB on Vodafone & iPhone 5 Black | iPad Retina (3rd Gen) on Vodafone | AppleTV 3 | Original Airport Express

Nope, went back to the Magic Mouse. Not enough precision with the trackpad, and I found an issue in trying to drag something across the desktop when the length required to drag exceeded the surface area of the trackpad.

Tried, but went back to my Magic Mouse. Trackpads don't seem accurate enough for designering.

I have replaced my mouse with the trackpad. It feels more consistent now going from imac to MBP an back.

Only bring out the mouse for gaming now.

Pretty much replaced the mouse with the trackpad. Only time I get the mouse out is for photoshop stuff and games.

Yep - mouse has been officially retired.

Mouse is gone. It sits on a shelf with all the other obsolete gear.

The trackpad is good enough for photoshop which is my most "mouse" intensive app so Therefore the mmouse is gone for good.

Yup, my mouse now sits on my desk in pieces. I may or may not have thrown it at the wall.

Replaced the mouse on day one with the trackpad and haven't looked back

Just bought one an hour ago - still getting used to it...

Seconded about a trackpad being annoying for dragging things a long way - mouse for that.

Replaced my Magic Mouse with the Magic Trackpad after about 2 days.

Using the Trackpad full-time now, happily on a 24" iMac.

I tried one out last Thursday night at the Apple Store. I was skeptical, but I found it very intuitive and much easier to use. I, for the first time, am starting to think the mouse may be obsolete.

I found it very easy to use, and very accurate as well, which I was not expecting. I am seriously considering getting one...
    Boxed: Original 128K, SE, LC, Quadra 700, PM5500 DE, PM6100, G4 Cube, AppleCD 300e, Newtons *** Unboxed: //e, //c, IIGS, 128K, 512K, Beige ED, Platinum ED, Plus, SE FDHD, SE/30, Portable, II, IIx, IIfx, Performa 250, LC575, 2 x TAM, 2 x TechStep

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast