Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Is the new MBA MagSafe connector compatible with earlier MBAs?

Thinking of buying a HyperMac battery with an old-style MBA MagSafe connector before they stop selling them, but just want to be sure it'll work with the new MBA if/when I upgrade from the Rev. B.
    "He could already picture the YouTube page…and, underneath the little video pane, the first of many thousands of all-capital-letter comments sent in by all the world's useless fuckwits." --Neal Stephenson, Reamde

No, they're not - the revised MagSafe design on all new MacBooks is not compatible with the older, original style on the HyperMac batteries.

HyperMac offers the type B (original MBA) right-angled connector as an option. So to clarify, the original MBA MagSafe won't fit or work with the new MBAs?
    "He could already picture the YouTube page…and, underneath the little video pane, the first of many thousands of all-capital-letter comments sent in by all the world's useless fuckwits." --Neal Stephenson, Reamde

No, it won't; all shipping machines now share the newest (type A, or rev 3) connector.

The adapters are all electrically compatible, the actual connection point is exactly the same, the only difference is to make sure the output of the adapter is the same or more than the stock adapter (so you can use an 80W adapter on a machine that needs a 65W, but you can't use a 65W adapter on a machine that needs 80W).

The exception is using a white Type C adapter with any MacBook Air other than the new models. Although it works, the adapter doesn't fit under the machine when it's resting on a flat surface.

So, to answer your question, if you're looking to buy a HyperMac Battery that has an old style MacBook Air connector on it, or any of the three MagSafe connectors for that matter, then you will be able to use it with your new machine when you choose to upgrade. Since the new MacBook Air has its MagSafe port on the side of the machine as well, you should even be able to use the Type C, but opt for a Type A or B just to be sure.

$%#@! After all that, I thought they were going to stop selling the HyperMac batteries at the end of November 2, not at the very start of it, i.e., when November 1 rolled over into midnight.

Serves me right for not reading more carefully. At least I saved myself a couple of hundred bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brains View Post
    No, they're not - the revised MagSafe design on all new MacBooks is not compatible with the older, original style on the HyperMac batteries.

My 13" MBP Came with Adaptor A. So im not 100% Sure if this is correct.
    www.warcom.com.au - Apple iPad Gear, ISP Deals, Networking, VoIP

Win a Lunatik iPod watch just by liking our facebook page! www.facebook.com/warcom