Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New MBA missing eSata?

Anyone feel that an eSata/USB combo port would have been more appropriate than just your run of the mill USB, especially considering the space limitations of the flash storage used?

edit: or even a USB 3???
    Last edited by paragon69; 25th October 2010 at 04:38 PM.

you're so right, or even fibre optic. i mean sh*t,  didn't even offer us RAID SSD

Quote Originally Posted by paragon69 View Post
    Anyone feel that an eSata/USB combo port would have been more appropriate than just your run of the mill USB, especially considering the space limitations of the flash storage used?

edit: or even a USB 3???
    Wot! No fibre channel!?

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

Seeing as how apple designed the motherboard on the MBA, it could have put USB3 on with little effort. Apple didn't of course, as then the MBA would transfer data quicker than all their more expensive models.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

I honestly thought it would be thicker and powered by a G5 chip, not a measly Core 2 Duo

Some things needed to be compromised to make it thin and sexy. Just the way Steve likes it....
     Steve Jobs: Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

I think if Apple wanted to implement USB3, we would have had it by now.

I don't accept compromises.  probably have the ability to make a 11" MBA with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, 3.2GHz CPU, back lit keyboard etc.. but they'll wait till next year or year after. Its called milking the  masses, $$ for each iteration, upgrade, spend more $. What do you think they have in their R&D unit? - Several generations of Mac Pros, MBA, MacBook Pros and iPads

many companies use tape drives for backups, and with this being a small, portable laptop, perfect for a network admin, i would have liked to see a tape drive - such is life, i guess

If it was thicker it could have had dual firewire ports as well as esata, tapedrive, USB 3, RAID, and a few more cameras as well. I think a few built in modems, 3G, a wifi router, and a TV tuner and external aerial would have made it more functional. Sadly Apple's obsession with weight loss at the expense of functionality has crippled this device. In this day an age a 13" screen is a disgrace too, why not 27" like the iMacs?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
     probably have the ability to make a 11" MBA with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, 3.2GHz CPU, back lit keyboard etc.. but they'll wait till next year or year after.
    i'm sure they could make it now, but no one would buy it (except you it seems) cos it would cost way too much money

would you pay 6k* for an 11" MBA with those specs?
    i'm sure these more people willing to pay $1200 for the current one

*pulling this figure out of my arse for arguments sake
    iMac 21.5"| 13" MacBook Air | iPad 2 | Apple TV 3 | iPhone 4 | iPhone 4 | iPod HiFi | Drobo | 7D

Should have a full sized umbrella port as well for rainy days.

Trading Feedback: El Guardo

What they should do is make a slightly thicker version with FireWire, an ethernet port, backlit keyboard and optical drive.

Oh, wait...

USB3 will debut on the MBP before any other devices, and a port for eSata? No way! Will never, ever see that.

Exactly, I mean whats wrong with a 20" MBA? People diss this idea, I for one would buy it. Or imagine a 27" MBA - great for presentations.

I'm not going so far as to say I want my Mac Pro squeezed down to a profile of a MBA, now that would be silly

Quote Originally Posted by gameon View Post
    i'm sure they could make it now, but no one would buy it (except you it seems) cos it would cost way too much money

would you pay 6k* for an 11" MBA with those specs?
    i'm sure these more people willing to pay $1200 for the current one

*pulling this figure out of my arse for arguments sake

I reckon for that spec, it outta be about the 4K mark. Trust me, despite the GFC there are people who will buy it, not just me - though I'd have to think more than twice at this price bracket

I dont think apple will incorporate firewire/esata in the mba anytime in the near future. We will probably see usb 3 in the next macbook air update. I would also bet usb 3 is coming in the next mbp update that is no doubt on its way.

i will be sad to see  kill FireWire. It would be like killing one's own offspring

I can't believe Apple didn't include an inbuilt DMX output in the new MBA, Get with it Apple!
    Meh 626 - Meh626.com
     MacBook Pro i7 2010  iMac 21.5" 2011  iMac G4 17"  iPad 3 64GB  iPhone 4 32GB  AirPort Express' - Successful Trades.

I can't believe it doesn't come in hot pink.

Or bamboo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast