Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default The worst publicity possible

I've been watching Foreign Correspondent on the ABC tonight. I would imagine it was the worst exposure Apple could have wished for. If you didn't see it, I suggest that anyone interested gets a copy, replay...whatever. After I've been buying Apple products since the first, I'm seriously thinking about whether I should buy another.
    See it through till the end...suddenly Apple are changing their practices.
    Last edited by aussieglyn; 26th October 2010 at 07:30 PM.
    20" Core Duo

Pleasse provide a synopsis. I really do dislike teaser threads like this.

Agreed, what are you talking about

Accusations of employees in sweatshops making apple products falling very very sick from n-hexane chemical or something.

SHould be on iView on ABC.

N-Hexane?
    Any alcohol will harm you if you breathe it in enough!

I'd hazard a guess at it being the usual generic Apple related post to gain views / hits.
    Last edited by mtny; 26th October 2010 at 08:29 PM.

Yep, gone and had a look, and so did Apple put those working conditions in their contract?

Workers poisoned while making iPhones - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Nothing like a beat up on Apple, when clearly the issue is with the contracted companies.

Yes, it is now with Apple to respond, and I'm sure they will respond heavy and hard, and so should any other company that contracts to these and similar companies.

More FUD, superb.

Watch the show
    20" Core Duo

Quote Originally Posted by mmulhern View Post
    Yep, gone and had a look, and so did Apple put those working conditions in their contract?

Workers poisoned while making iPhones - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Nothing like a beat up on Apple, when clearly the issue is with the contracted companies.

Yes, it is now with Apple to respond, and I'm sure they will respond heavy and hard, and so should any other company that contracts to these and similar companies.
    So Apple don't know what's going on... give me a break....or maybe they don't want to
    20" Core Duo

Quote Originally Posted by aussieglyn View Post
    I've been watching Foreign Correspondent on the ABC tonight. I would imagine it was the worst exposure Apple could have wished for. If you didn't see it...
    Ignoring the fact that Foreign Correspondent's viewership be counted on one hand, said viewers are likely smart enough to know that nearly every multi-national company is doing something that further disadvantages the disadvantaged. No real news here...
    Trading Feedback: El Guardo

Quote Originally Posted by aussieglyn View Post
    So Apple don't know what's going on... give me a break....or maybe they don't want to
    Now, now, don't get so defensive.

Apple aren't the only company that uses these suppliers and assembly plants, but it always seems that they get the bad press, not Nokia, Lenovo, HP, and so on.

Yes, it is serious, but a beat up none the less.

Well one problem for Apple (throws flame proof suit on) is that the also trumpet how great the margin is on their products. Which is a large part of where they elect to get their products made and what they are prepared to pay their suppliers and the manufacturer.

So for that reason I suspect they attract more attention on this than the other companies.
    An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

[QUOTE=El Guardo;1049040]Ignoring the fact that Foreign Correspondent's viewership be counted on one hand................(so I guess if it was reported on ACA or The 6.30 report it would be more plausible) Being one of the handful of viewers, of course I realise they all do it but it still isn't a good rap.
    20" Core Duo

We can either pay more for our electronics (and other things) to be made ethically, sustainably and environmentally friendly - or we can buy them cheaply... Welcome to the 21st century. It's terrible, but unless you heavily modify the lifestyle you live, it's incredibly difficult to avoid.

You can lessen the burden by buying less stuff, less often.

Working in a Chinese sweatshop for HP, Microsoft, Dell and IBM | The Observers Apple is the only corporation that gets so much attention from the media over this, others don't. I don't think anyone is saying that it's okay or that Apple doesn't know, it's just that every large (and small) corporation does this and the others don't have the media blaming them alone.
    Yagan Kiely
    Website || IMSLP || Pirate Party Australia
     2008 MacBook Pro 15" — 2010 MacBook Air 13" — iPhone 4 (32gb) — iPad 3G 64gb— etc.

Here is the link to the video:

Foreign Correspondent

Everyone in the first world benefits from exploiting and abusing the second and third world countries, thats how we have a such a good quality of life, we know how to screw up their countries, steal their resources and drop bombs on their houses.

If you don't like it then kill yourself, cause theres nothing else you can do, is there?
    27' iMac 2.8 i7 8gb 2tb, MacBook Pro, Power Mac G5, iPhone 4 32gb, iPod Classic 80gb, iPad 3G 64gb, Airport Extreme, Drobo.
    www.faberman.com

If you don't like it then kill yourself, cause theres nothing else you can do, is there?
    Well, you could not buy Apple products or any that you believe are being produced under such conditions. You could help form a fair trade alliance for the computer industry. You could spread the word about such conditions and demonstrate against them. You could firebomb Apple/Dell/IBM etc. premises.

There is plenty that we as individuals *could* do and we are all morally culpable for what does happen.

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Is this another one of those stupid "Apple uses Foxconn, therefore Foxconn = APPLE!!!1one" pieces? Because seriously, anybody who uses "Apple" in place of "every consumer electronics manufacturing company in America" loses my respect as a link/viewer/readership-baiting jerk.
    Last edited by Exocet; 26th October 2010 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim Litvinov View Post
    Well, you could not buy Apple products or any that you believe are being produced under such conditions. You could help form a fair trade alliance for the computer industry. You could spread the word about such conditions and demonstrate against them. You could firebomb Apple/Dell/IBM etc. premises.

There is plenty that we as individuals *could* do and we are all morally culpable for what does happen.
    I don't think you understand what I said, everything we have in our country is at the expense of another poorer country. I'm not just talking about computers, our country is very happy to go to other countries and rape them ecomonically.

We are Americas lapdog, we will even go to war to help establish an illegal government, and sell every resource that country has to foreign companies. We kill their citizens and complain if they come here.

It is cheaper to have china to build our computers, then to have slaves build them.
    27' iMac 2.8 i7 8gb 2tb, MacBook Pro, Power Mac G5, iPhone 4 32gb, iPod Classic 80gb, iPad 3G 64gb, Airport Extreme, Drobo.
    www.faberman.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast