Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thumbs up

Ok, here is what I am doing, maybe someone here can help me. I have 2 Macs (a G4 desktop and an iBook) and a Windows PC (XP Home) all on my Airport Network (the PC is on a LiinkSys USB box). I've been able to have the Macs network for quite some time, but I found the need to add the PC in there. I went on XP and created a network and let it call itself the default name (Workgroup). I turned Windows file sharing on on both Macs and low and behold, I was able to log onto both Macs from the PC. So far so good. Next I decided to to log onto the PC from the Macs. When I opened up the "Network" tab in the Finder window on the iBook, there was the PC network and I could log on just fine. When I do the same on the G4, it sees NOTHING. The Sharing and network settings are the same on the G4 and iBook. I tried shutting the iBook down to see if the G4 would then see the Windows network. Still nothing. This is getting a bit frustrating at this point.

Anyone have ANY advice....?
    1.3Ghz G4 (SawTooth)|1Gb RAM|OSX 10.3.5|2 X 200 Gb (RAID) HDD, 80Gb HDD, 2 X 40Gb HDD
    14 inch G4 iBook |768Mb RAM|OSX 10.3.5|40GB|Combo Drive|Airport
    www.iOnMac.com

Talking

what you need to do is go to finder, click on the go menu then connect to server. in server address type smb://(your pc's network name)/(a shared folder on the pc)
    then click connect!
    this worked for me, just put in the appropriate passwords for the windows box when it asks you to log on and it should be fine!
    Lots-a-stuff
    Wikipdeia "There are five fingers on the human hand (citation needed)"

Hey macman_99, THANKS! That Worked! Still don't understand WHY it doesn't show up on the desktop G4 under Network, but I can get to the folder now. THANKS AGAIN!
    1.3Ghz G4 (SawTooth)|1Gb RAM|OSX 10.3.5|2 X 200 Gb (RAID) HDD, 80Gb HDD, 2 X 40Gb HDD
    14 inch G4 iBook |768Mb RAM|OSX 10.3.5|40GB|Combo Drive|Airport
    www.iOnMac.com

Nowhere near as helpful as the last post but I have found that even when my machines decide not to 'see' each other. Try to connect using the IP of the target and voila; it's there. No idea at all why this is the case.

In summary, there is a good networking guide for XP to OS X at:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...threadid=54704