Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default The "I'm buying the new Macbook Air" Thread

I've been so looking forward to the new Macbook Air (MBA) for the past month! This is probably the product refresh or launch that has the least leak for the last 2 years. There are so many possibilities on this MBA, but regardless how it turns out, I will get one primarily because I'll be travelling for some months and will need a light alternative to my 15" MBP.

Regarding buying a Macbook at the best prices, the Coop Bookshop option is the cheapest I know of, since the student develop option is no longer valid.
    However, even when priced against what you can get in the US, the difference is just too stark!

I'm even considering using a ship forwarder + paying tax if it gets released in the US before AU.

Comments and suggestions appreciated!

I'm going to be getting one. I love a portable option to use on the bus/couch etc and want the full OS over the iPad option which I got bored of as I already have an iPhone.

Undecided whether to go for the 11.6" or 13.3" if the rumours are true and two models are released.

My SO uses my original MacBook Air and the sound has died (have to use a USB sound adaptor) and the hinges are both bent and it feels pretty sluggish next to my current generation MacBook Pro but it's still chugging along and she refuses to trade the form factor of the Air for a more powerful Apple laptop.

We'll be buying one of the new ones, if there are new ones
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Yup - a new MBA if priced right will replace my Core Duo MBP, my HackBook Mini uni note taker and my iPad (which doesn't get much use now that the novelty has worn off). Just have to ensure it has 4GB RAM, a 128GB SSD and a 1.2KG weight for under $1.2k...
    13" MacBook Pro retina: i5 2.5GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD; Mac mini: i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM Fused 240GB SSD and 500GB HDD; iMac: G4 17" 1.25GHz 2GB RAM 160GB HDD; iPhone 5 64GB; iPad mini 64GB LTE; Apple TV 3

Absolutely, I have been waiting ages for this one, flicked my iPad because it didnt do it for me, in comparison with the MBA which is so much better in every way EXCEPT battery life!

My old version A MBA is still powering along, with a new screen after the hinges finally died, but I would give my first born for a new one with 10 hour battery life, a 250GB SSD and 4GB RAM.

I reckon Apple will be using the Sony Vaio X as a target. With a carbon fibre casing, the Vaio X weighs about the same as an iPad (or just a bit more with the optional 7-hour battery) is incredibly thin and has an 11.1" screen.

However, Apple's not gonna use an Atom processor like the Vaio X, and presumably would want a decent-sized keyboard, so something would have to give.

I seriously lusted after the Vaio X. The only thing holding me back was that it isn't really Hackintosh material. I have enough of a learned aversion to Windows, and I still appreciate the relatively luxurious experience of using my Rev. B MacBook Air.
    "He could already picture the YouTube page…and, underneath the little video pane, the first of many thousands of all-capital-letter comments sent in by all the world's useless fuckwits." --Neal Stephenson, Reamde

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

Hmm, perhaps it is time to consider the apple product cycle?

You chaps are all getting a bit ahead of yourselves.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

If it's priced right and @ the 11.6 inches, probably yes.

Yeah, maybe I'll get one in 10 years or so, if it becomes collectable. Any interested MBA Rev-1 owners out there, make a note and drop me a line in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post

Perhaps it is time to look at the leaked pictures and specs?

I will buy an 11 inch model if it runs 1280x800 and is under $1200

Quote Originally Posted by NathR32 View Post
    Perhaps its time to look at the link he posted before jumping to conclusions!!

i'm looking forward to the new 13" macbook air. Hopefully 128G SSD is standard, and the price is no more than $1700.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Perhaps its time to look at the link he posted before jumping to conclusions!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NathR32 View Post
    Amen to that

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

I think you guys missed the point of the apple product cycle.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

I think you guys missed the point of the apple product cycle.
    Obviously my hint was too subtle! Looks like no one actually followed your link.

delux's Avatar delux is offline It helps to have a mirror in the room

Ahahaha, its so true. But still I want it.

I'll be buying, to replace my current MacBook Air. My Rev B with SSD has been the best notebook i've owned.
    troll
    n. A supernatural creature of Scandinavian folklore, variously portrayed as a friendly or mischievous dwarf or as a giant, that lives in caves, in the hills, or under bridges.

You're still assuming they will release one. In 2008, there was no iPad. The iPad now pretty much fills that niche of ultraportable. If you need Mac OS X, there's a 13" MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Remember that a key feature was a full-size keyboard. You can't fit that on a machine with an 11" screen unless the screen has one hell of a margin.

I think you should all consider the possibility of no more MacBook Airs equal to new models.
    Successful transactions with tintinaujapon, sillydog701, decryption, ken-f, macmine, LaPastenague, Jordan M, leon, NathR32, trickcycle, froggy, scruffie, benerrol, hawker, midnight_e, loc04t, fission.

Quote Originally Posted by Japester View Post
    You're still assuming they will release one. In 2008, there was no iPad. The iPad now pretty much fills that niche of ultraportable. If you need Mac OS X, there's a 13" MacBook or MacBook Pro...
    If an Air comes in around $1000. What then for the MacBook?
    iMac 21.5 i3 3.2 12GB RAM
    iPhone 6 64GB Gold
    iPad Air 2 64GB Wi-Fi + Cellular Gold

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast