Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

All I can say is that I was wrong. They've managed to make a laptop smaller than 13" without compromising the keyboard. Nicely done.
    Successful transactions with tintinaujapon, sillydog701, decryption, ken-f, macmine, LaPastenague, Jordan M, leon, NathR32, trickcycle, froggy, scruffie, benerrol, hawker, midnight_e, loc04t, fission.

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post

Just shitty that if I want the 2.16Ghz CPU, I have to pay a lot more for it.

1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    128GB Flash Storage
    $1749

2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    256GB Flash Storage
    $2248.99

$500 just for the slightly faster CPU and double the SSD storage isn't worth it IMHO. If it was $150 just for the faster CPU, I'd take it, but I don't need 256GB of storage. Even 64GB would be plenty for me.

For a non-computer geek, correct me if I'm wrong - but it's all about RAM right? If I wanted to be economical, but want a good, fast machine, I would go with higher RAM than a higher spec CPU?

Not sure about what I want with a HDD. I only know that my 80GB in rev A MBA is paltry. Not sure if I should pay more for more HDD so I can put ALL my iPhoto and iTunes on it (pretty much mirror my main computer, the Mac Mini that is permanently connected at home) and have something more portable
    Last edited by Reubania; 21st October 2010 at 07:10 AM.
    | MacBook Air 11" | Mac Mini 2011| iPhone 5 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB | iPod Nano 4GB | iPod Hi-Fi | AirPort Extreme |
    | Traded | Huy | Alessiman | DagrtheSnide | alan7948 | iCameron | chris | dsiew |

Quote Originally Posted by Reubania View Post
    For a non-computer geek, correct me if I'm wrong - but it's all about RAM right? Based on the prices, I think it would be more economical, and hence a "faster" machine with more RAM than a higher spec CPU?
    Both the 1.8 and the 2.1 have 4GB of RAM... so you pay the extra $500 for 300mhz and 128GB extra of storage.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanCorp View Post
    Just ordered 13" 2.13GHz MacBook Air with 4Gb Ram ships 3 business days.
    Me too. Added a 27" cinema screen to go with it. That is going to be one sweet set up.

$500 just for the slightly faster CPU and double the SSD storage isn't worth it IMHO. If it was $150 just for the faster CPU, I'd take it, but I don't need 256GB of storage. Even 64GB would be plenty for me.
    That's exactly the reason why I ordered the 1.86 GHz / 4 GB / 128 GB model. For a while, I was seriously considering the 64 GB model, but I figured jumping to 128 GB would allow me to install Windows via Boot Camp and still have some breathing room. The 1440 x 900 resolution also appealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrymr View Post
    That's exactly the reason why I ordered the 1.86 GHz / 4 GB / 128 GB model.
    Yep, same model I'll be grabbing as well

So is the RAM user upgradable? I prefer to buy with basic RAM and upgrade as it works out a better tax deduction from a business perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    So is the RAM user upgradable? I prefer to buy with basic RAM and upgrade as it works out a better tax deduction from a business perspective.
    Nope, RAM is soldered on the logic board going by the promo shots.

Backlit keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by areal View Post
    Backlit keyboard?
    Nope. Not backlit.

Quote Originally Posted by m_242 View Post
    Me too. Added a 27" cinema screen to go with it. That is going to be one sweet set up.
    I have a 30" Cinema Display!

Indeed it will be awesome. The reason I went for this model is I was looking at buying the 256GB SSD from our supplier at work and staff price was $670 just for the drive. As Anthony pointed out for $500 you get a faster processor and double the space.
     Mac Pro 2x2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB/3x1TB WD (Black) + 80GB Intel X-25M G2 |  24" LED Cinema Display |  MBP 13" 2.26GHz/4GB/120GB Intel X-25M SSD + 500GB (Optical Bay) |  Mac Mini 2.0GHz/4GB/320GB/256MB 9400M.

Nope. Not backlit.
    Really?? Would be surprising considering the current one is.

I was going through whats included in the box of the MBA and it claims theres a Software Reinstall Drive.

And then they also included a picture of a Flash Drive http://images.apple.com/au/macbookai...e_20101020.jpg

I haven't bought a MBA before, but was this included prior to the latest verison?

So the 11" model offers RAM upgrades on the Apple store from 2GB to 4GB - suggesting the RAM is upgradable - hello 8GB module when cheap?

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    So the 11" model offers RAM upgrades on the Apple store from 2GB to 4GB - suggesting the RAM is upgradable - hello 8GB module when cheap?

JB
    I dont think so, thats a CTO upgrade just like processor upgrade. The specs say it is "onboard" RAM whereas if you look at all the other MB's & MBP's they talk about RAM slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaxbon View Post
    I haven't bought a MBA before, but was this included prior to the latest verison?
    No,

If anyone hears news about the new MBA being physically available for sale in the Apple store, please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    I dont think so, thats a CTO upgrade just like processor upgrade. The specs say it is "onboard" RAM whereas if you look at all the other MB's & MBP's they talk about RAM slots.
    It is a little crazy - making the new MBA still seem a bit like a toy, or fashion item. 2GB these days is the bare minimum, the additional AUD $150 for 4GB is a bit rich - about 2 - 3 times the price of a generic stick of DDR3.

Still, the new 11" MBA is the first new Apple product that has had me excited over the past few years - reasonable speed in a form factor I want.

JB

Default Are the new Airs in-store?

Has anyone seen a new Air in the stores? Are they available to touch and fondle?

no backlit keyboard is a big turn off. taking this feature away to get the extra 2 hours battery life is stupid, i can turn off the keyboard light on my current macbook air, and get 7 hours usage.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast