Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Having pulled apart the gen 1 Air I can say there really isn't a reason why the current generation (13" or 11") couldn't have a backlit keyboard. The entire backlight unit takes up maybe 1/2mm thickness. for those wondering, it essentially consists of a sheet of perspex (like an overhead slide) and a row of white LED's on one edge. The sheet sits under the keyboard and has a set of notches under each key to reflect the light up done in such a way as every key gets lit evenly without disrupting the light path to the keys further along. It's a pity that it's not in the current model. The power requirements for running 5 white LED's wouldn't be much either.
    This opinion intentionally left blank.

Yesterday/Today I flash from the Air as I was getting the shits with 70 degree CPU temps from watching youtube!

That combined with a HTML5 youtube extension has given me about 1hr more battery life and significantly cooler temps!
    Main: 2011 iMac 3.4Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB, 1GB 6970
    Macbook: 2010 Macbook Air 11" Ultimate Ed.
    Misc: iPad 64gb WiFi & 32gb iPhone 5.

Well I upgraded from a rev A MBA to the new 11" MBA and haven't looked back! Although I was heavily disappointed with the lack of a backlit keyboard, the quick processing power (thanks to the SSD and increased RAM) and improved battery life (from 2-3 hours to 5+ hours) makes this the best machine I've owned. I do not miss my old MBA at all.

Though utterly tempted to get the new iPad 2, I type so much that I prefer the chicklet keyboard to the touchscreen. Plus the thinness and size and fantastic screen resolution makes it a permanent machine that I hope to keep and not have to continually upgrade.

I haven't noticed the fan noise or heat, only when I am doing a lot of processing for several hours, especially when I'm using screen sharing and running multiple apps and browser windows. I haven't installed Flash, and do not miss youTube at all. Because of that, I consistently get 5+ hours on my wonderfully thin and beautiful device.
    | MacBook Air 11" | Mac Mini 2011| iPhone 5 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB | iPod Nano 4GB | iPod Hi-Fi | AirPort Extreme |
    | Traded | Huy | Alessiman | DagrtheSnide | alan7948 | iCameron | chris | dsiew |

My MBA is used on battery most days. Lowest time to flat so far is about six hours. Beyond that I've found the figures, for me, become meaningless because it includes period where the MBA goes to sleep. For example, last week it went off charge on Thursday afternoon and didn't go back on charge until Saturday afternoon. Obviously it spent some of that time asleep (and instant-on isn't quite there yet on the MBA) but incredibly happy with the battery life - particularly as it's a fully optioned 13" (upgraded RAM and CPU) which I expected to give me reduced battery life.

David

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22