Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Minkey View Post
    If it comes in around $1000. What then for the MacBook?
    MacBook is the educational model, thus cheap. You've got a point. Perhaps the Air replaces the MacBook. That would be viable.

That so reminds me of the eMate! Pity that didn't take off in schools.
    Successful transactions with tintinaujapon, sillydog701, decryption, ken-f, macmine, LaPastenague, Jordan M, leon, NathR32, trickcycle, froggy, scruffie, benerrol, hawker, midnight_e, loc04t, fission.

Quote Originally Posted by Japester View Post
    MacBook is the educational model, thus cheap. You've got a point. Perhaps the Air replaces the MacBook. That would be viable.

That so reminds me of the eMate! Pity that didn't take off in schools.
    Exactly what I was thinking a couple of days ago. Perhaps the macbook 'air' will just become the standard macbook, no large hard drives and optical devices etc, just a simple great to use and practical notebook for the average consumer. Then it will be differentiated with the current 'macbook pro' models, higher spec, more powerful, optical drives, bigger screens, dedicated graphics etc.

Ollie

Assuming the Air is still a toy with slow ULV CPU, I wouldn't get one and don't understand the mindset of anyone that would.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Coxy View Post
    Assuming the Air is still a toy with slow ULV CPU, I wouldn't get one and don't understand the mindset of anyone that would.
    You have obviously never owned a MBA! They are no toy, despite owning a number of much more powerful macs, the MBA is my machine of choice, its my favourite machine for almost all my computing needs, hopefully the new MBA has increased battery life as that is the biggest drawback in comparison to other Apple hardware that has had more recent updates.

I do think people are dreaming thinking it will be as cheap as a MB, its always going to attract a premium price, the form factor, design and engineering means its not going to be a cheap item. For those of us that understand the desirability of the hardware, the price premium represents real value.

If this question popped up about a month ago, I would have said HELL YES! The iMac + MacBook Air combo worked really well for me, for a time.

Now, I'm in the process of selling off my 24" iMac and buying a MacBook Pro. Just waiting to see if there's a refresh to the MBP line after this event. I've decided two Macs is overkill for my needs. Only want the one (plus iPad), and in that scenario, it has to be a powerful-enough MacBook of some description. So I'm going to wait and see exactly what's in this new MacBook Air, and take it from there. It's still an option, but I'm guessing the Air will continue be marketed as a secondary on-the-go computer, rather than a desktop replacement.

Then again, C2D 2.4GHz and up, 4GB RAM, and a SSD, all in a small, compact, light-weight enclosure is pretty appealing. With the SSD, it'd run faster than my iMac ever did, and that's been my main workhorse computer for the last 3 years.

Tempting.

11.6-inch MacBook Air detailed

Smaller 11.6-inch display.
    - 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (with a 2.33GHz option possible).
    - 2GB of memory in the base configuration.
    - No optical drive, naturally.
    - Mini DisplayPort, USB, and SD card reader along the left-hand side and USB and power on the right (that's 2x USB).
    - The trackpad has been updated to match that of the new MacBook Pros.
    - Although smaller due to the 11.6-inch display, it's still about the same thickness as the current MacBook Air.
    - A black power key now sits immediately to the right of a smaller eject key on the MBA's keyboard -- the round aluminum power button is gone. A design decision that might support the MBA's rumored instant-on capabilities though our source didn't see this functionality exhibited (possibly because it was running OS X 10.6.4).
    Bit disappointing they are still using C2D chips...may make it much cheaper thoough?
    Cheers
    Mick

If there is any truth in that rumour it would be disappointing - no one I know wants a smaller screen.

Most of the rumours say both a 13" and 11" screen available. Can't believe they would even think about sticking to the C2D though.

Should have 3G built in, but Apples doesn't seem to have taken that idea up.

By the way . . .

- A black power key now sits immediately to the right of a smaller eject key on the MBA's keyboard
    What does one do with an eject button on an Air?
    Last edited by Dust For Eyes; 20th October 2010 at 09:48 PM.
    "Murder, she says. At a time like this?"

Quote Originally Posted by tom5955 View Post
    Most of the rumours say both a 13" and 11" screen available. Can't believe they would even think about sticking to the C2D though.
    Certainly does seem old tech, however there may be thermal limitations preventing a mobile core i3 or core i5. On the other hand, they might just be trying to keep the RRP down to make it an attractive buy.

Quote Originally Posted by benji View Post
    Certainly does seem old tech, however there may be thermal limitations preventing a mobile core i3 or core i5. On the other hand, they might just be trying to keep the RRP down to make it an attractive buy.
    Yeah. Definitely. The last MBA was not popular mainly because of its price.
    If the form factor stays or becomes smaller, yet remain as usable, and is priced relative to the 13" MB, then it'll be definitely a seller.

I'm using C2D and have no problems at all. Technology will come to a time when it's relative cheap for usable, good performance portability. I'm not talking about Atom processors though. I have one and it's barely tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by eron View Post
    .... The last MBA was not popular mainly because of its price.
    I am not sure about that, I suspect the sales figures were within Apple's expectations. I dont think it was ever intended to be a high volume unit like the consumer grade MBP's.

If they do dumb it down to keep the price low, I hope that there are plenty of BTO options to improve the specs. I think most current MBA owners are like myself, we love the current MBA, but we want some improved specs like battery life, RAM, graphics and processor, more than happy to pay a premium for it too. I dont expect it to be a netbook, a lightweight MB, or an iPad with a keyboard. I expect it to be an upgrade of the MBA!

Quote Originally Posted by eron View Post
    Yeah. Definitely. The last MBA was not popular mainly because of its price.
    If the form factor stays or becomes smaller, yet remain as usable, and is priced relative to the 13" MB, then it'll be definitely a seller.

I'm using C2D and have no problems at all. Technology will come to a time when it's relative cheap for usable, good performance portability. I'm not talking about Atom processors though. I have one and it's barely tolerable.
    For the Air's target audience the C2D is definitely a more than able chip. Price will definitely be an interesting factor. Too cheap and you eat MB sales, too expensive and it won't sell. I'm unsure where the sweat spot lies for them.

Well considering that our current MacBook Air cost $2400 all of the models seem cheap.

Having said that I suspect we'll buy either the high end 11 inch model or the low end 13 inch model.

I wasn't really thinking about the possibility of an 11 inch version and now I face the issue of needing to actually hold them in my hands and work out if 11 inch is too much of a size sacrifice (I suspect so, but I'm not sure).
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Just ordered 13" 2.13GHz MacBook Air with 4Gb Ram ships 3 business days.
     Mac Pro 2x2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB/3x1TB WD (Black) + 80GB Intel X-25M G2 |  24" LED Cinema Display |  MBP 13" 2.26GHz/4GB/120GB Intel X-25M SSD + 500GB (Optical Bay) |  Mac Mini 2.0GHz/4GB/320GB/256MB 9400M.

Random Thoughts:

I wonder if 1440*900 will become an option in the 13.3" MBP.

Bit surprised they didn't manage to squeeze in 3G, particularly in the 13.3" MBA.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanCorp View Post
    Just ordered 13" 2.13GHz MacBook Air with 4Gb Ram ships 3 business days.
    Just ordered the 13" MacBook Air (1.86GHz, 128 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM). Same shipping time of three business days.

Is there a "I'm thinking of selling my MacBook Air" thread? LOL. I kid I kid. A little underwhelmed with the new specs (besides upgradable option of 4GB RAM). Is there comparison between the rev A (or B) MBA with this new one? Watching the video and reading the specs, there's only minute differences. Not sure if I should sell my rev A MBA and wait for the iPad 2. I rarely use my MBA ever since hooking my Mac Mini to my HDTV.
    | MacBook Air 11" | Mac Mini 2011| iPhone 5 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB | iPod Nano 4GB | iPod Hi-Fi | AirPort Extreme |
    | Traded | Huy | Alessiman | DagrtheSnide | alan7948 | iCameron | chris | dsiew |

This little beaudy makes me want to sell my i5 MBP 15" and iPad and get an 11" MBA. Way fucking cool.
    Main: 2011 iMac 3.4Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB, 1GB 6970
    Macbook: 2010 Macbook Air 11" Ultimate Ed.
    Misc: iPad 64gb WiFi & 32gb iPhone 5.

Looks like I will buy one, 1.86Ghz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 13" - I like being able to move my computer around easily. Might need to work in a different desk, or a different city and an iPad isn't always the best option. So the iPad is with me when I don't want a laptop and the laptop is around when I want Mac OS X.

Hook the MBA up to a Dell 27" LCD with an external KB & mouse and it should perform quite well.

Just shitty that if I want the 2.16Ghz CPU, I have to pay a lot more for it.

1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    128GB Flash Storage
    $1749

2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    256GB Flash Storage
    $2248.99

$500 just for the slightly faster CPU and double the SSD storage isn't worth it IMHO. If it was $150 just for the faster CPU, I'd take it, but I don't need 256GB of storage. Even 64GB would be plenty for me.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast