Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Don't people use hidden docks? I always do.
    Dave

No, I find them popping up and down annoying. I much prefer a smaller size dock but have it permanently anchored at the bottom.
    | MacBook Air 11" | Mac Mini 2011| iPhone 5 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB | iPod Nano 4GB | iPod Hi-Fi | AirPort Extreme |
    | Traded | Huy | Alessiman | DagrtheSnide | alan7948 | iCameron | chris | dsiew |

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOZ View Post
    Don't people use hidden docks? I always do.
    Yep. You can have a window down lower and see the status bar, or grab the corner to resize. Both of these are impossible with an always-shown dock.

Not to mention it makes the person look like a newb to have the dock showing.

no backlit keyboard is a total deal-breaker for me.

I was willing to overlook the Core 2 Duo (lack of any i3 or something) and yeh USB3 probably wasn't an absolute realistic expectation but that i was still not overly concerned about because i just want a sweet-ass 11.6" MacBook! Now it seems i'm up for waiting 12 months for a refresh that would god damn wanna have a backlit keyboard otherwise i'll have totally lost faith in Apple! Unique SSD is nice.. hopefully they make these standard on all MacBook Pros and have then different 2.5" drive options as your 'storage' drive Of course i'm dreaming... actually dreaming would be having more configurable upgrade options.... like why can't we tell Apple - Hey i want your sweet as MacBook Pro 13".. but god damn it don't put any shitty old 2.5" drive in there.. put in a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT! Yeh!

Quote Originally Posted by Reubania View Post
    Damn. I played with both the 13" and the 11" MBA at Apple Doncaster, and I have to admit I am sold on the 11" being a capable "netbook". I need people who've purchased the 11" to tell me if the slower processor is adequate, and if it heats up under long usage, and the extent of the battery life. I am thinking of "upgrading" my old 13" MBA with the 11" one, but bump up the RAM to 4GB and selecting the 128GB SSD - however might wait till next year when Lion is released.

Also, any cool 11" sleeve/bags? We need an accessories thread!
    I honestly do not think that the 11" is in any way a netbook.

I owned a Dell Mini 10 running Windows 7, 1GB of RAM. That is truly a 'netbook'. Very limited screen real estate, compromises with the keyboard and mouse, and slow after you open two Applications.

My 11" MBA feels faster than my 2.0 Ghz C2D iMac (3GB RAM). Apps open almost instantly. There is a lot of screen real estate (because of the high resolution). When you open it, the full size keyboard and large track pad make it 'feel' like it's a real computer, to me. But when you close it it's ridiculously thin and portable.

I don't find it to be heating up that much. The Battery Life is significantly worse than my old netbook, but I can usually get the advertised specs.

Judging by the benchmarks posted on macrumors.com it definitely seems like the 11-inch would be an 'upgrade' in actual speed terms, too.
    | iMac Alu.| 11-inch MacBook Air | iPhone 4S 64GB

The Macbook Air does look awfully tempting. Especially considering my MacBook WIFI is basically stuffed, it keeps dropping out and is a pain. So I have to use a Cat5 cable if I want to stream movies etc.

But I need more of an excuse than than in order to fork out the money for an 'Air. My Macbook is still fine for another 2 years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by dolbinau View Post
    I honestly do not think that the 11" is in any way a netbook.

I owned a Dell Mini 10 running Windows 7, 1GB of RAM. That is truly a 'netbook'. Very limited screen real estate, compromises with the keyboard and mouse, and slow after you open two Applications.

My 11" MBA feels faster than my 2.0 Ghz C2D iMac (3GB RAM). Apps open almost instantly. There is a lot of screen real estate (because of the high resolution). When you open it, the full size keyboard and large track pad make it 'feel' like it's a real computer, to me. But when you close it it's ridiculously thin and portable.

I don't find it to be heating up that much. The Battery Life is significantly worse than my old netbook, but I can usually get the advertised specs.

Judging by the benchmarks posted on macrumors.com it definitely seems like the 11-inch would be an 'upgrade' in actual speed terms, too.

I have read that. Despite the lower processing speed, it still trumps the rev A MBA. I am still debating whether to get the 11" and bump up the RAM to 4GB. I'm just really sick of the spinning ball with my 13" MBA. It has been noticeably better since I stopped streaming any video/watching youTube on it. I think the lack of video card (and HDD) really slows down an otherwise, capable machine.

My term of a "netbook" was more in terms of the size of the laptop. A laptop in my definition is pretty much a "portable" desktop in a 13"+ size.

Anything below a 13" laptop with significantly reduced specs would be deemed as a "netbook". I agree that Apple has produced a capable laptop, but just in a thinner, smaller casing. But in terms of portability, it's miles ahead of any "laptop" out there.

I have used a netbook before (can't remember which brand) and even though I have thin pianist fingers, it was a nightmare to type on that thing. And the screen was so cramped! I am loving the full size keyboard, but I am unsure if I can get use to the smaller screen size (from the 13" to the 11"). I had a quick play with just the 11" MBA today at Apple Doncaster, and didn't really find it to be much of a hindrance, but I really need a bit more time to do what I normally do to see if there is such a difference. I did notice that CoverFlow on iTunes significantly took up most of the screen without displaying the list of track names below. I love CoverFlow, so I might have to get use to it.
    | MacBook Air 11" | Mac Mini 2011| iPhone 5 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB | iPod Nano 4GB | iPod Hi-Fi | AirPort Extreme |
    | Traded | Huy | Alessiman | DagrtheSnide | alan7948 | iCameron | chris | dsiew |

I still reckon the 11" is a perfect size for a laptop on the go. 13" may have better performance, but the overall surface area is still larger and close to the 13" MBP IMO.

I'm just concerned that I'm so used to the 13" MBA that I probably would get annoyed with the 11"...but I must prefer a faster machine that's more portable (lighter and thinner). I think I will just have to sacrifice the screen real estate and backlit keyboard

I went for the 11" for portability. I leave my 17" MBPro at work most of the time and I've been taking my iPad everywhere in my backpack. The MBAir 11" is the SAME weight as the iPad in Vaja case except you get full OS X functionality. No brainer for me. Since I cycle to work the less I have to carry the better.

I went for the full spec 11" with 4gb RAM. Will be here today.

The iPad will now stay on my bedside table for reading.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by eilaneer View Post
    I still reckon the 11" is a perfect size for a laptop on the go. 13" may have better performance, but the overall surface area is still larger and close to the 13" MBP IMO.
    I always have a bag that an A4 page would fit in, and for me the very small difference in footprint between the 11 and 13" is easily worth the screen real estate. For me it is the height of the screen... I need to still be able to view enough of whatever I am working on - and smaller laptops and netbooks i find annoying as you cant see alot above or below what you are working on. I like being able to read several paragraphs / or have sufficient height on the screen reading, viewing, and working on things - whther that be a spreadsheet, word document, photos or even just viewing a web page.

13" is perfect!
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

hey guys, wow.. been reading all the posts and I'm so excited! What do you reckon the chances of me getting it today?! when it states for a thursday delivery?!

01 Nov 2010 06:57:50 Melbourne Shipment In Transit.
    01 Nov 2010 06:53:58 Melbourne Shipment Received At Destination Depot.

LaMMi

Quote Originally Posted by jonhas View Post
    Thats exactly what I did (late 08 MBP > 13" MBA with max specs) and after two days usage I couldn't be happier. Super portable, decent performance and the same screen resolution.
    Sounds good. The only thing I'm wondering is the pricing difference for selling the MBP and getting the MBA.

Has anyone tried running Aperture, Lightroom or Photoshop on your shiny new machines? Can anyone comment on how it performs using 2Gb or 4Gb ram. Thanks.

I have an 11 with 4gb RAM and Aperture library on a 500gb USB drive. It works fine.
    Dave

Well the Genius Bar in the San Francisco Apple store suggested I ring Apple when I get home, and get a new machine... I told them I couldn't really leave it with hem to run further diagnostics for a couple of days, and when he worked out my machine was only 14 days old, he suggested I get a new one.

First Apple machine that has died on me. Went to watch an avi movie via VLC the other night and neither the movie or VLC would open. Mail then crashed, and when I tried to re boot, it now gets stuck on the grey Apple logo. Isn't the drive the Genius Bar told me today, but they weren't sure what was wrong with it.

Love this new MBA, significantly faster than my Rev B, and the new SSD seems a lot faster than my last one. Leqve hearer Mon night but don't arrive ohm till Wed. Hope they send me a replacement quickly!
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

Not good news DJY! But I'm glad that when it did work it was faster than your rev B. If the 11" is faster than my rev A, I'll happy. Happy to sacrifice the SDD space (getting the base model) for a faster machine. Might bump it up to 4GB RAM to be on the safe side.

Let us know how it all pans out!

The Flash memory is insanely fast.

It takes just as long to wake from sleep that it does to boot up from shutdown. Seriously, it's nuts.

I know, as it's evident with the iPhone 4. I guess for me is actually the absence of "spinning balls" whenever I open several applications or tabs. It really churns on my rev A MBA.

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum today. I live in Hawaii and have a MBA 13.3" with 2GB RAM. I gave my wife my MBP and to be honest this air is much better. I had all of iLife open, iTunes, all Office programs, 5 different tabs with youtube playing and using the share drive on my wife MBP to download bejeweled. The machine never skipped a beat.

Now I just hope I win one of the parallel copies, that would be the icing on the cake.

BTW great website so far, think I might take a trip to Australia soon since I'm so close.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast