Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Using iPhone in USA

Hey Guys,

I'm off to the states for a few weeks to see family and do some business. Wondering if anyone knew which carriers offer pre-paid with the micro-sim that can be used with the iPhone 4?

Thanks.

Toby

None do.

You need to get your hands on an AT&T GoPhone pack (follow this guide) and slice up the SIM yourself.

Thanks, I will give this a go when I get there.

Couldn't you just pick up an AT&T iPad SIM?

Quote Originally Posted by matt231 View Post
    Couldn't you just pick up an AT&T iPad SIM?
    You could, but there won't be any calls, plus I'm pretty sure AT&T will ask for the IMEI of your iPad.

I saw on ebay recently microsim ATT Gophone packs, but it was like 5 times the price of the regular one, so don't bother, just chop up a regular gophone sim.

You'll need a US address + imei to activate it, I've heard that you shouldn't use your iphone's imei as ATT know and lock the sim or something, so use some old imei or a fake one. Head into LAX, hit a 7/11 or similar and get a card to chuck credit on it. $20 for 100mb data.

When I went to the US last month, I bought a AT&T sim pack to use in my iPhone 3GS. However, they would not activate data on it because the operator on the phone said that prepaid data doesn't work on the iPhone - so I had call and text credit but didn't have any data available on the phone. Just something to be wary of!

Get an iPad micro-SIM from an AT&T store, activate the data plan on an iPad (an Australian one is fine). Put the micro-SIM in your iPhone 4 - you now have data. Use Skype (which now backgrounds & has push) to receive calls and make calls.

Easy.
    paris buttfield-addison: co-founder of http://www.secretlab.com.au
    Author of Learning Cocoa with Objective-C Third Edition (O'Reilly, upcoming)
    and iPhone and iPad Game Development For Dummies (Wiley, October 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Paris View Post
    Get an iPad micro-SIM from an AT&T store, activate the data plan on an iPad (an Australian one is fine). Put the micro-SIM in your iPhone 4 - you now have data. Use Skype (which now backgrounds & has push) to receive calls and make calls.

Easy.
    Now there's a bloody good idea!

Could you activate with an iphone4 here though? Wonder would the phone simply see the sim and it's data...

I don't know if this is any help but when I'm in the US I use a prepaid T Mobile sim with my unlocked 3GS. It gives me both data and calls

Quote Originally Posted by brettdc View Post
    I don't know if this is any help but when I'm in the US I use a prepaid T Mobile sim with my unlocked 3GS. It gives me both data and calls
    Hi - care to elaborate on that? Plan, costs etc? Any special tricks!

Quote Originally Posted by Renoman View Post
    Hi - care to elaborate on that? Plan, costs etc? Any special tricks!
    Likewise. I can't find a way to add data to a T-Mobile pre-paid that's not just a flat $0.99/hour of use (which is not suitable for me when i'm there).

The AT&T Media Net option is probably the best, but it's hardly convenient.

Why does the US need to make pre-paid data so hard (I guess we do have it good here with our pre-paid data options).
    "Some say, that if you hold him in the wrong way, he doesn't work properly..."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Aladdin's Avatar Aladdin is offline Drink Coffee - Do Stupid Things Faster

I bought a Truphone SIM pack on the international flight (Qantas) over to the USA. Cost me A$20, which got me US$15 credit. It's pre-paid. Not as cheap as I had envisaged with data at US$0.50 per MB, but it's an easy option. Not sure what happens when I run out of credit, though (haven't got to that stage yet). Still, it's waaa-aay cheaper than international data roaming.

Only issue is that the SIM is a mini-SIM (therefore, iPhone 3G/3GS compatible, unless you've got a cookie cutter).
    Rise & Shine: the early spoon gets the morning wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I bought a Truphone SIM pack on the international flight (Qantas) over to the USA. Cost me A$20, which got me US$15 credit. It's pre-paid. Not as cheap as I had envisaged with data at US$0.50 per MB, but it's an easy option. Not sure what happens when I run out of credit, though (haven't got to that stage yet). Still, it's waaa-aay cheaper than international data roaming.

Only issue is that the SIM is a mini-SIM (therefore, iPhone 3G/3GS compatible, unless you've got a cookie cutter).
    This still makes the AT&T GoPhone pack with Medianet pack cheaper though.

These also need cutting to micro-SIM if you're wanting to use it in an iPhone 4.

Truphone are an MVNO also (I work for a company that's in opposition to them )
    - Jeremy Clarkson

T-Mobile pre-paid was the only option for short visits to the US for me when I was there last, but I didn't get it cause there was no data plans in it.

I'm not sure how up to date this is because it has been a few years since I was there - but my experiences of using data in the US match those of a few of the people above: CricketMX.com • Using an iPhone in America is not easy

Prepaid is (was?) unheard of in the US, let alone prepaid data. I reckon the iPad idea someone had above might be the best bet, unless T-Mobile and AT&T have updated their plans.

As drewbles said, we are very lucky here in Australia with our prepaid. Our mobile network and the mobile system as a whole is light years ahead of the US believe it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmammal View Post
    When I went to the US last month, I bought a AT&T sim pack to use in my iPhone 3GS. However, they would not activate data on it because the operator on the phone said that prepaid data doesn't work on the iPhone - so I had call and text credit but didn't have any data available on the phone. Just something to be wary of!
    Same thing happened to me when I was in an AT&T store. Was told that others from overseas have come and bought a pre-paid SIM for that purpose only to find data doesn't work on the iPhone and this is Apple's problem. I wanted to argue that point but saw it pointless.
    Twitter | Upcoming Pixar | Pixar Planet | Facebook | Flickr | ThomasHuxley.com
    2011 13" MBP 4GB RAM 320GB HDD | 16GB WiFi Black iPad 2 | 32GB Black iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by bawpcwpn View Post
    Same thing happened to me when I was in an AT&T store. Was told that others from overseas have come and bought a pre-paid SIM for that purpose only to find data doesn't work on the iPhone and this is Apple's problem. I wanted to argue that point but saw it pointless.
    As per Anthony's post in Post #2, It's entirely possible (just some dicking around required):

HOW TO: A guide for Australians using their iPhone 3G’s data services on AT&T in the USA. — perfectdarkmike
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by bawpcwpn View Post
    Don't go to a store, they won't help you.
    When I was in San Francisco and New York, I had 3G data on my iPhone.
    Follow this guide and you'll get AT&T's world renown fast mobile internet
    The key is to buy the prepaid phone from Walgreens and then chuck it out.

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Don't go to a store, they won't help you.
    When I was in San Francisco and New York, I had 3G data on my iPhone.
    Follow this guide and you'll get AT&T's world renown fast mobile internet
    The key is to buy the prepaid phone from Walgreens and then chuck it out.
    The guide has been down for a few days Anthony. I was unable to find a cached copy either. Looks like he's vanished off the interwebs
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast