Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

In both of those links I saw only on person who said they got it work by getting the APNs. Now, I'd have to do more research but it might be that he managed to alter the information being sent to AT&T, basically telling the central server than it wasn't an iPhone. I don't think that's really possible...
    iPhone 6S Rose Gold 642GB | iPhone 5C Pink 32GB | iPhone 4 White 32GB | MacBook Pro 2013 | Time Capsule 1TB |

Quote Originally Posted by Kionon View Post
    In both of those links I saw only on person who said they got it work by getting the APNs. Now, I'd have to do more research but it might be that he managed to alter the information being sent to AT&T, basically telling the central server than it wasn't an iPhone. I don't think that's really possible...
    Fair enough, i just sent him an email asking how he does it etc. He lives in sydney, has links to his twitter and linkdn accounts on his page and also is happy for anyone to call him and or meet up with him, this is what makes me half think he is legit, i wouldnt want angry people knowing all my details etc if i was selling a dodgy product.
    iMac 27' - iPhone 4S 32Gb - iPad 3rd Gen 64GB 4G

His email responce;

"Hi Matthew,

It definitely works. There's no trick. I've done it myself a number of times, and so have other customers - check the testimonials on the website!

There's just a lot of misinformation online, and in particular, AT&T stores have no idea and actively tell you it won't work (that's why I sell them so people can buy them here before leaving and set everything up).

I don't think it's possible to cut the sim down to nano sim size - that's what I've read online. And I would say it would basically be IMPOSSIBLE to get a prepaid nano sim out of AT&T at a store in the USA. It's hard enough getting them to give you a micro sim.

Anyway, I can get you micro sims for your 4S and iPad by the end of week - will send Express Post."

Quote Originally Posted by fuller View Post
    His email responce;

"Hi Matthew,

It definitely works. There's no trick. I've done it myself a number of times, and so have other customers - check the testimonials on the website!

There's just a lot of misinformation online, and in particular, AT&T stores have no idea and actively tell you it won't work (that's why I sell them so people can buy them here before leaving and set everything up).

I don't think it's possible to cut the sim down to nano sim size - that's what I've read online. And I would say it would basically be IMPOSSIBLE to get a prepaid nano sim out of AT&T at a store in the USA. It's hard enough getting them to give you a micro sim.

Anyway, I can get you micro sims for your 4S and iPad by the end of week - will send Express Post."
    Hmm...

I'd still like to know if he's saying it will "just work" or if you need to put in the APNs and tweak settings like the one positive review I saw said... It sounds like this guy is legit, but if so, I really wish he'd explain it step by step. Unfortunately, if it really does "just work" then that's all he'll tell you, and if you have any support issues, you won't be able to get help from AT&T. You also might find yourself unable to contact him. I'd suggest if you do this, that you have a back up plan. You might consider picking up barebones plan from T-Mo as well, just in case the AT&T sim doesn't work. If it doesn't, you can change your plan, and you will be limited to Edge speeds (which will suck), but you'll have unlimited data and no contract. Just US$50/mo or so. If the AT&T sim does work, you spent an extra $10 to have a back up plan...

The main reason I am suspicious is because the color differences of the microsims between my own AT&T microsims. SoftBank here in Japan does the same thing. You have your black sims, white sims, and gray sims. Black is for iPhone, white is for prepaid, and gray is for all other smartphones. If you mess with the APNs, sometimes you can get it to work, and sometimes you can't. Even if it does work, you still might not be on the right APN, and SoftBank's answer to this is to basically charge you "APN roaming" of sorts for data packets, and not even tell you you're racking up a huge bill until you hit $400:

Without the right APN, you could be throwing your money away.
    iPhone 6S Rose Gold 642GB | iPhone 5C Pink 32GB | iPhone 4 White 32GB | MacBook Pro 2013 | Time Capsule 1TB |

Detailed instructions can be found here.

I wouldn't quite say that it's a just works situation as there's some insistent phone calling to make as well as APN settings to change.
    "Murder, she says. At a time like this?"

This all jives with other stuff I know about changing out SIM cards on the iPhone, so thanks for the above. Having read the directions, I'd say this sounds completely legit, yes. Looks like AT&T just keeps their service personnel in the dark about this to try to prevent people from avoiding contracts.

Oh AT&T... You so silly.

I cant access your dropbox to view the instructions? Im logged into my dropbox still says i dont belong here.

I orderd 3 sims off him, so ill report back when i get home if it worked or not, all things point to yes but always good to have someone confirm it.

Quote Originally Posted by fuller View Post
    I cant access your dropbox to view the instructions? Im logged into my dropbox still says i dont belong here.
    Try this.
    "Murder, she says. At a time like this?"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6