Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

It all sounds harder than it really is. The go phone packs are about 30 bucks US which is about 30 buck australian now I suppose... I have encountered the sim card becoming locked to the fist phone I activated it in so it does happen sometimes. One quick phone call to AT&T sorted it without much hassle and into the old iphone it goes. As others have said you'll be on one of the most crappy and expensive networks you could ever wish not to be on.

There was mention that there are many open wifi networks in America, to a certain extent this is very true but getting your iphone to connect to them is very hit and miss. If you're anywhere near a Starbucks (and it's hard not to be) you should be able to connect to their network - other networks in airports etc I have had very little success even though they might be labelled a public wifi spot. Don't know why I imagine it's to do with routers, security and god knows what else. It is better in the end to go onto a an AT&T plan if you're spending a large amount of time over there, e.g. a month or so.

The risk of using your local data plan while overseas is fraught with danger. I have paid extraordinary amounts for doing this and have learned a big lesson.
    Bennettnz
    Macbook Pro 13"/Mac Pro 2.66ghz quad/imac 24" x 3/iMac 21"/iMac 17"/G5 1.8 ghz/eMac 1.25ghz/Apple TV/iPad/iPhone... iDebt massive - (thanks Steve!)

Quote Originally Posted by bennettnz View Post
    other networks in airports etc I have had very little success even though they might be labelled a public wifi spot. Don't know why I imagine it's to do with routers, security and god knows what else.
    If you're talking about networks with names like "Free Public WiFi" it's actually because of a stupid design decision in Windows XP. If you connect to an adhoc network it remembers it and unless you tell it not to continues to be part of that network every time it isn't connected to another.

So one person creates "Free Public WiFi" and people connect. Later those people are unwittingly also creating ""Free Public WiFi" to which more people connect. Suddenly it's spreading all over the place.

I had wondered why there are all these "Free Public Wifi" networks all over the place which don't give you and IP and don't work.
    2012 Mac Mini 2.6 w/ 1TB Fusion Drive & 16GB RAM, Dell U2713HM Monitor | 15" MBP Unibody 2.66 | iPhone 5s Space Gray 32GB on Vodafone & iPhone 5 Black | iPad Retina (3rd Gen) on Vodafone | AppleTV 3 | Original Airport Express

hmmm... typical, it s amazing how many times the word stupid and windows are used in the same sentence.
    Bennettnz
    Macbook Pro 13"/Mac Pro 2.66ghz quad/imac 24" x 3/iMac 21"/iMac 17"/G5 1.8 ghz/eMac 1.25ghz/Apple TV/iPad/iPhone... iDebt massive - (thanks Steve!)

faarrrkkk i hate AT&T... What a bunch of useless fools - makes optus customer service look good!!

Have tried the ipad sim activation url trick using a wifi ipad and the firefox ipad user agent - one freezes the att system and one doesnt work as the laptop doesnt have a touchpad...

att see the problem in their system, promise me the partial accou t creation has been deleted (it hasnt) so i can start over (cant because the uncompleted failed activation attempt is there and there is no option to edit).

aquired a US credit card, US address the works, no joy. ATT cant/wont activate it manually, the stores are USELESS (can you beleive the store staff have no special access to att??!!!!!! They call customer service like everyone else!! Couldnt belive it...)

will try gophone tomorrow activated with my nokia. then i will give up...

Good god damn having data would be handy !!! I reckon we blew at least two hours in the last two days getting lost in Manhatten

Quote Originally Posted by fompsweeva View Post
    That was mine. Should be back up soon.
    And I thank you for your brilliant how-to Brilliant work sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Renoman View Post
    faarrrkkk i hate AT&T... What a bunch of useless fools - makes optus customer service look good!!

Have tried the ipad sim activation url trick using a wifi ipad and the firefox ipad user agent - one freezes the att system and one doesnt work as the laptop doesnt have a touchpad...

att see the problem in their system, promise me the partial accou t creation has been deleted (it hasnt) so i can start over (cant because the uncompleted failed activation attempt is there and there is no option to edit).

aquired a US credit card, US address the works, no joy. ATT cant/wont activate it manually, the stores are USELESS (can you beleive the store staff have no special access to att??!!!!!! They call customer service like everyone else!! Couldnt belive it...)

will try gophone tomorrow activated with my nokia. then i will give up...

Good god damn having data would be handy !!! I reckon we blew at least two hours in the last two days getting lost in Manhatten
    Order a replacement iPad SIM online, pay the $15 fee, buy your credit, and go for it. All online. And you can use an AU credit card on the AT&T site, but you just need to know how (I'm in the US at the moment using a GoPhone SIM in my iPhone 4 with data no problems, using my AU CC to pay for it, do a search around on how to use a AU credit card with American Airlines (yes, AA) using google and you should get the drift )
    "Some say, that if you hold him in the wrong way, he doesn't work properly..."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by toholio View Post
    It's not uncommon at all. Networks don't normally do it for locking but they do track what kind of handset a SIM card is in. Telstra get antsy about iPad SIMs in other devices for instance.

As for why AT&T would care, I have no idea but then a lot of what they do doesn't make sense.
    Carriers can easily get your IMEI when your phone registers to a network, that itself tells the carrier what handset you're using (similar to a MAC address on an ethernet card where it's easy to identify the manufacturer).

This is what lets them detect your handset. I've not seen SIM locking to an individual handset anywhere (not even here in the US).
    "Some say, that if you hold him in the wrong way, he doesn't work properly..."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Gophone activated with my nokia IMiE and unlockit.nz ATandT carrier settings worked a charm. 100 meg goes a suprising distance for google mapping etc - have only chewed half of it in the last two days being lost in manhatten... Will not bother with iPad sim anymore, even though it turns out the att store gave me the wrong sim. Still doesnt work on my oz credit card with address changed to an American one. I'll cope over the next couple of weeks with wifi and another 100meg top up.

Must note though that ATandT service makes Vodafone look good!!! Google maps rarely had a clue where I was and general 3G web access was sloooow....

Still no way to have iPhone 4 work in the US? Was thinking of using mine when i go over, however, it obviously uses a micro sim..has there been a work around (no cutting of sim)
    Imac 20" Aluminium 2Ghz 1Gb Ram 250HDD
    Mac Mini 2.0Ghz 1GB Ram 120Gb HDD
    Macbook 1.83Ghz 2GB ram 80HDD
    iphone 3G 16GB Black (Virgin)

Quote Originally Posted by led-zep View Post
    Still no way to have iPhone 4 work in the US? Was thinking of using mine when i go over, however, it obviously uses a micro sim..has there been a work around (no cutting of sim)
    I can't believe I'm considering it...
    but for complete convenience...
    I'm on the verge of using the Telstra International Roaming data pack next week. I know it is terrible value $29 for 10MB???? but if I turn off push mail (and only use free WiFi for emails)... will 10MB last me a week of minor browsing?
    e.g. Facebook / FourSquare / Google maps / the odd browsing for specific local information?

$160 for 60MB seems even more ludicrous... but if $29 for the week gets me through... and I don't have to waste time finding a shop, attempting the other options mentioned in here (I don't have a non iPhone to do the activation).

thoughts? I fly out Monday.
    I did buy my iPad in the USA, and think I still have the AT&T microSIM here somewhere... I wonder if I could activate that somehow either in my iPad or iPhone for data? Or do you still need a USA credit card?
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

Just spent some time surfing at MacRumors...
    and even it seems recent threads in there - still aren't convenient or easy for us international travellers.

Maybe I do what I posted above?
    I will might try putting my original AT&T microSIM in my iPad when I get there and see what happens... but suspect AT&T still require a US address on your credit card (there seems to be conflicting information on that one)...

As for my iPhone 4 -and I don't have a non iPhone here at present... lots of things that people have done involve lots of time, mucking around, and fake EMEI numbers.

I think I have my old iPhone 3 G S here somewhere - so I wonder if that makes it easier - just putting in a local SIM for a smartphone on a pre paid?

I'm only in San Francisco for a week... and my hotel has free WiFi.
    I leave tomorrow
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

I don't know why you're having such a hard time?

• Go to walgreens, buy a gophone starter pack
    • register the service as normal (don't use the iPhone's IMEI)
    • once the SIM works in the shit phone, put the SIM in the iPhone (will require cutting)
    • add the AT&T APN on your iPhone via unlockit.co.nz
    • go back to Walgreens, buy $30 of credit
    • on a computer, log in to the AT&T prepaid portal (https://www.myprepaidrefill.com)
    • add the coupon code in (or use your credit card if it works - mine did)
    • purchase 100mb of data for $20 and a use the rest of the credit for calls
    • done

Then when you return to the USA, you have a prepaid SIM, ready to go. I loan mine out to friends travelling to the USA, so that way it stays active.

Decryption, that wont work with iPhone 4 however. Needs to be a micro Sim
    Imac 20" Aluminium 2Ghz 1Gb Ram 250HDD
    Mac Mini 2.0Ghz 1GB Ram 120Gb HDD
    Macbook 1.83Ghz 2GB ram 80HDD
    iphone 3G 16GB Black (Virgin)

Quote Originally Posted by led-zep View Post
    Decryption, that wont work with iPhone 4 however. Needs to be a micro Sim
    Yes it will - just cut up the regular SIM - easy

Thanks decryption.
    Maybe I will give that a try... Might even take over my old iPhone 3 G S so I don't even have to cut the SIM up, and leave my current iPhone 4 with my Aust SIM in it... As I already have 3G Data Roaming option turned OFF on that but Cellular Data ON. That way people can still easily reach me on my normal number - but use the gophone/iPhone 3GS for AT&T network.

Two Walgreens 4-6 blocks from my hotel!!!! Let's hope for either a friendly shop assistant there or a cafe with free wifi next door... that helps me use their internet to activate/recharge/ add data!!!!

Hopefully this time tomorrow (well US Mon afternoon) I will be up and running.

Like the other poster above (Renoman) - I'm not confident though in being able to use my AT&T microSIM that came with my iPad via using an Aussie credit card.

now to decide whether to take my shiny new MBA as well as iPad, iPhones... mmm hang on that will be three iPhones?!?!!
    new pers iPhone 4 (leave on Aust SIM), work iPhone 3GS (work), and old personal iPhone 3 GS (to use domestically for data / calls using AT&T SIM)
    Last edited by DJY; 31st October 2010 at 04:09 PM.
    Mac OS X

Well I'm close.
    Bought a gophone - had to use a land line to activate it (and get the mobile number).

Added voice and data credit via the website.
    Logged on to the unlock NZ site and the config file wanted to open in air sharing?!? No "install" button, so I tried via the email option - emailed it to myself on my iPhone, got it installed (I thought but maybe not!?!?), but phone still showing "No Service"?!?!?!

Has Carrier set to automatic, and attempts to change it to AT&T proving unsuccessful?!?!? It comes up with that dialog box - "You cellular network is no longer available!?!? And then either Dismiss or Settings!?!?!?!?

Any ideas?
    Last edited by DJY; 2nd November 2010 at 09:22 AM.
    Mac OS X

Update to the above post.

I tried my AT&T sim in my work iPhone and came up with Invalid SIM (suspect it is locked)... So me getting No Service on my other iPhone seems to indicate the APN settings haven't worked?

I tried using tetherme link but couldn't install the profile....
    Unlock NZ I can see the greyed out profile there... But still no service, and it wont let me get onto AT&T?

This isn't looking good.
    Last edited by DJY; 2nd November 2010 at 07:36 PM.
    Mac OS X

Anyone?
    Ideas?

Sure the dodgy Samsung phone only cost USD$15, and the I added $15 calls plus the $20 data for 100 MB, but I don't want to be tied to only free wifi at my hotel.

From what others have commented I doubt an AT&T shop is likely to be any help either?
    Mac OS X

Some threads on howardforums suggest that gophone packs that include a bonus credit amount are sim-locked to the included phone for six months. If your gophone pack came with bonus credit, then my guess is that your sim is now locked to the phone it came with.

Best bet might be to cut your losses and procure another gophone sim that doesn't include bonus credit, and try activating the new sim online using a non-iphone imei. Can't speak from experience though so not sure of the exact steps required.

Mmm thanks for the info! The packaging said it included talk time - but after I activated it - it said my balance was $0.00?!?!?

Might try an AT&T shop first to see if they could just give me a new sim using the phone number and credit I've already put on this one today.
    Mac OS X

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast