Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: iPad and Wifi

Default iPad and Wifi

I have a 16G Wifi +3G iPad and a 24" iMac with a satellite ethernet internet. Trouble is I can't get the machines to talk to each other. Can anyone help?
    24" iMac - EyeTV digital dongle - satellite broadband - iPhone clone - 16G Wifi+ 3G iPad.

I have created a network in Airport which my iPad recognises, but I can't access the internet through the iPad (obviously I have a connection through my iMac). Maybe you can help.
    24" iMac - EyeTV digital dongle - satellite broadband - iPhone clone - 16G Wifi+ 3G iPad.

You need a WiFi router plugged into your ethernet cable coming from your satellite equipment... unless it already has a router.
    What networking equipment do you already have?
    2012 Mac Mini 2.6 w/ 1TB Fusion Drive & 16GB RAM, Dell U2713HM Monitor | 15" MBP Unibody 2.66 | iPhone 5s Space Gray 32GB on Vodafone & iPhone 5 Black | iPad Retina (3rd Gen) on Vodafone | AppleTV 3 | Original Airport Express

Many (most?) home satellite internet connections do not have a public IP address for the end user and instead run on a private IP network.

This adds some complications to setting up internet sharing and standard router settings normally need to be altered somewhat.

And even then programs which require port forwarding either won't work or will work at reduced efficiency.

OTOH many of the satellite internet providers do offer an option to get a public IP address (often at extra cost though) and I'd strongly suggest you take up that option if it's available, it makes life much simpler.
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Thanks for your responses - I need to mull this over and consult with a mate in the hopes he will have a better understanding than me.

Apple helped me out and I have Wifi on my iPad with no drama!

what did they do?
    Bennettnz
    Macbook Pro 13"/Mac Pro 2.66ghz quad/imac 24" x 3/iMac 21"/iMac 17"/G5 1.8 ghz/eMac 1.25ghz/Apple TV/iPad/iPhone... iDebt massive - (thanks Steve!)

I had created a network in the Wifi menu bar and Apple directed me to Sharing in Preferences. I selected Internet Sharing and saw ' Share your connection from: Ethernet' and ' To computers using: Airport' (both greyed out). But the green button above showed my internet sharing was on.

At least I think that was the procedure. My iPad now connects and I'm a happy chappy.

I hope this is of interest.