Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: Elgato hybrid

Default Elgato hybrid

Please except my apology if this has been discussed. I did a search but could not find anything.
    I have been having increasing problems with error messages you are connected to a usb 1.1 port and connect to usb 2.0 port. I was unplugging and leaving for a few min and it would then work. It then stopped working. Tried a powered usb hub and worked for a while. Then tried my Mac book Pro. I had officially declared it dead. Researching a new one on Ice TV site I stumbled on this article
    http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=1558.0[/URL]

Put in an oven for a few min at 70 degrees

I thought what have I got to lose it is dead and 2 years old. It worked and is now plugged back in.
    Thank you Elgato forums
    by Brewster March 30th, 2008, 6:44 am

This is a bit flakey but I have got my Hybrid to work by putting it a warm oven for a few minutes (about 70 C). It was that or the bin because I have given up trying to get it working any other way.

I had tried it on 3 Macs, 2 versions on OS X, zapped the PRAM on all the machines several times and plugged/unplugged the darn thing many hundreds of times. The vendor I had bought it from has disappeared and it's out of warranty so I was happy to take a risk.

If anyone else is equally desperate, try heating the thing up (at your own risk of course). I hope it helps.

Bean
    Bean

Haha, good trick !
    Not unlike putting a tea-light candle under the GPU on the logicboard of an iBook to fix the poor solder joins that plagued that model.
    Home repairs - love 'em.

Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

EDIT: Will speak to bean via PM.
    Something about Jimby.

I'm glad this weird fix is still of assistance. The newer Hybrid sticks are OK by all accounts but I think Elgagto are still denying there was a problem with the first version despite the evidence.

I did post this fix here but it was quite some time ago and not easy to find.
    MBP i7 2.2 & iMac 27" i5 & iPhone 3Gs & iMac intel 2006 & Macbook 2006 & Mac Mini & PM G5 & PM G4 & iPod mini
    Successful Trades; ipod man, Forgie, antechinus55, new2mac