Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question How can I backup iphone contacts/email/addresses and transfer them to PC easily

Hey,guys!!!i have one quick question about my iphone contact backup ...

I have an iphone that has all my contacts stored in it.... (phone numbers, email, addresses, etc...) and I recently bought an new computer, but I don't have any of this information stored in it.

My question is, how can I sync my iphone with to my PC without erasing the info in the iphone. I don't want my system to think that since the PC is empty it should erase every contact in the iphone. I just want to transfer everything from iphone and have a copy on PC,especially the contacts.

Appreciated your early reply.

After entering the information of the first time and syncing for the first time, iTunes will create a back-up file with all that information just incase. This is the case for both Mac and Windows.

So for instance, if it's a new PC, then iTunes will start to "sync" with your iPhone and will copy any apps (if you have your iTunes account registered in that new PC), contacts, calendar events and such.

iTunes will NOT delete your stuff unless you checked the "Replace data on the iPhone with data from this computer"

Anything from iTunes ( music, ringtones, photos, videos ) will be replaced. Everything else will sync.
    .: iPhone 3GS - 32gig - black .:. iMac 24" Intel .:. iPad 64gig Wi-Fi + 3G .:. 2011 17" MBP :.

Quote Originally Posted by iGobbleoff View Post
    Anything from iTunes ( music, ringtones, photos, videos ) will be replaced. Everything else will sync.
    Hope it does. When I lost the entire contents of my hard drive a couple of years ago (user error) and had to reinstall the OS (because I had not been backing up, back then) all I got was an imperative from itunes that when I would sync, everything on the phone would be replaced. I did not have that option checked in itunes.

In the end, I bit the bullet and did it anyway and had to rebuild my contact list from scratch.

I'd be taking the external application option and trying to get the contents from the phone onto the computer before letting itunes do anything. I use Phoneview now, and I'm pretty sure there are similar apps for PC

I believe there is an option in the info tab that allows you to transfer information to the computer or to the phone only.

Since you are on Mac Themes I assume you are jailbroken. The best way to do this is via Cydia.

1. Open Cydia>Search>Chronus
    2. Launch Chronus and make backups of the stuff you want to backup - including saved games
    3. SSH onto your phone or use Phone Disk (tethered) and navigate to:
    root/var/mobile/Library/Preferences
    4. Copy the TimeCapsule folder to your desktop
    5. Restore your phone as a new phone via iTunes on your new computer
    6. ReJailbreak
    7. Place the backup of TimeCapsule into /////Preferences

Another way to do this is to sync your stuff via google account and then setup your new Computer to sync with google.

There are tons of tutorials with pix that can be found using google to search.

or you can try 3rd party transfer as asdttk introduced.

--Hope I could help

MobileMe is the saviour of my life. If you're happy to pay for it, I strongly recommend it. It pushes all my emails, contact, changes, schedules, everything, to my work PC, my iMac, my iPhone 3G, my iPhone 4 and my iPad seamlessly. Yes it costs, but gee it's so simple.
    Apple iMac 21.5" Apple MacBook Pro 15.4" Apple iPad 2 32GB WiFi Apple iPhone 4 32GB Apple iPod classic 5th Gen 32GB Apple iPod nano 6th Gen 8GB
    MY10 Ford Fiesta Zetec 'S' 3-Door Hatch in Frozen White

Quote Originally Posted by dannyhilton View Post
    MobileMe is the saviour of my life. If you're happy to pay for it, I strongly recommend it. It pushes all my emails, contact, changes, schedules, everything, to my work PC, my iMac, my iPhone 3G, my iPhone 4 and my iPad seamlessly. Yes it costs, but gee it's so simple.
    You could always sign up for a MobileMe trial, send your contacts etc across then uninstall it.
    Note: Any advertising image that may appear in my post is placed there automatically by this site and is not endorsed by me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaste View Post
    You could always sign up for a MobileMe trial, send your contacts etc across then uninstall it.
    agreed with this, just remember to copy them to your local address book instead of leaving them with mobileme, cause when the trial runs out, your stuffed
    .: iPhone 3GS - 32gig - black .:. iMac 24" Intel .:. iPad 64gig Wi-Fi + 3G .:. 2011 17" MBP :.

I think google will do much the same as mobileme, and its free.

To backup data from iphone to pc or Mac computer, you can use direct data transfer tool, itunes doesn’t allow us to transfer the data directly, I use MobiKin ios transfer program, it allows me to transfer contacts, texts, photos from iphone directly.
    See the detail contact backup guide: transfer contacts from iphone to pc
    Last edited by fenna; 13th July 2017 at 07:46 PM.

You can search guide on Google to follow iPhone command prompt. The easy way for you is to sync with iCloud. Otherwise, you can use a third party software to do that.