Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thumbs down Mac Repair in Melbourne (Flinder St)

My 17" Macbook Pro froze! After four weeks the Mac Repair Centre told me that the Logic Board is faulty and I better buy a new one pointing towards the shop! I don't have money to get a new one but I found a guy on Ebay claimed that he might be able to fix it! HE DID! in two days I got a call that I can pick up the machine with 2 month warranty!!! It works beautifully!!! Mac repair centre put a dint on my Mac and lost 2 screws as well!! 6 months ago when I first went there with a camera issue they gave me a quote for 1200$ My friend ordered the part costing 65$ and installed it for a beer! I was there waiting when a lady in front of me was told that because her warranty was expired the repair will be dearer than her 15" Macbook she was guttered and judging by my experience they are RIP OFF merchants with one finger permanently pointing towards the shop for us to buy a new one!! Be careful and DO NOT trust them! Send me a PM if you want the number for this dude that fixed my baby!!!!

More exclamation points than an episode of Batman. Good job.

I've seen those logic board repairers on eBay. It's great to know that they work, but that doesn't mean Apple Authorised Service Providers are trying to rip you off by making you buy a new machine, it's simply in the fact that they don't have the ability nor approval from Apple to do any circuit level repairs to logic boards and the cost to replace a logic board is usually more than a new computer (usually $1200 to $1500 or even more from Apple, and that doesn't factor in any profit to the store doing the repair).

That said, if you've found someone that can repair logic boards, more power to you and i'd be keen to try one of them myself if it means one less machine in landfill because it wasn't viable to repair it.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by timobee6 View Post
    My 17" Macbook Pro froze! After four weeks the Mac Repair Centre told me that the Logic Board is faulty and I better buy a new one pointing towards the shop! I don't have money to get a new one but I found a guy on Ebay claimed that he might be able to fix it! HE DID! in two days I got a call that I can pick up the machine with 2 month warranty!!! It works beautifully!!! Mac repair centre put a dint on my Mac and lost 2 screws as well!! 6 months ago when I first went there with a camera issue they gave me a quote for 1200$ My friend ordered the part costing 65$ and installed it for a beer! I was there waiting when a lady in front of me was told that because her warranty was expired the repair will be dearer than her 15" Macbook she was guttered and judging by my experience they are RIP OFF merchants with one finger permanently pointing towards the shop for us to buy a new one!! Be careful and DO NOT trust them! Send me a PM if you want the number for this dude that fixed my baby!!!!

Mate, if your computer is under warranty Apple and resellers will repair for you free of charge. Apple charge you for replacement parts and labour if your computer is out of warranty, I can't see anything wrong with it!

Plus how can you compare a proper Authorised Apple store to eBay! You can buy dodge cheap fake iPod from ebay for $25 then you may wanna complain Apple "rip off" you by charging you $199 for a real iPod. Apple Authorised repair shop using Apple original parts and your computer is service by certified technician. Can you get same level of service from eBay?
    MP 2.8, 12G, 4TB, 8800, BT/APX, BRay SDDLx2, 2 x 23" ACD. TS 1TB. iB G3G4. PB Ti 1G. MM G4 1.42,1G,100G,SDDL. Every Gen of iPod. PM1.4GCube. MBA SSD64G. APP for everything, Of course. Successful trades with: mivory,mvjs,Gothikon,William,iGOOSE, sanjay, stewiesno1, astr0b0y, [MREVO8], p53. Thanks very much.

Default wot?

Read my thread properly! My Macbook Pro is working beautifully, thanks to the Ebay repair man. Had it been for the Apple Shop it would be in the bin!! Once the warranty done a 20$ repair costs 1000's so what ever, I will never bother with those dudes who kept my Mac for 4 weeks, loosing screws, dinting the side. Very unprofessional and as I said they are more sales people than repair people. My thread is for the after warranty people who have no hope and cant find 1000 dollars for a small Mac issue. There is hope and there are people that can save a good Mac from the grave.

How do i get hold of this guys number. I've had the same problem with my MacBook. Desperate for a response. Thanks. George.

Quote Originally Posted by Orasy View Post
    How do i get hold of this guys number. I've had the same problem with my MacBook. Desperate for a response. Thanks. George.
    Send me a PM if you want the number for this dude that fixed my baby!!!!
    Doyou think this guy would be able to fix my eMacs color issue? When I changed the HardDrive I did something or touched the wrong thing and now my red is like a chocolate brown. I've been told it's fixable but don't try it myself, well I wouldn't know how to try it myself anyhow LOL
    27inch 2011 i7 12GB Ram iMac
    What Else Could I Ask For?

Default yes i need help

can you let me know where you sent your computer? I'm in a similar situation, it would be much appreciated

Cool Dead Logic Board

I agree. Apple are more than happy to sell you another computer or make an expensive repair. There seems to be an enormous failure rate with there Macbook Pro Series of Computers just check the threads out. I am all for work arounds. Power to the people.

Also I'd like the Melbourne contact for my Sister who is in need of a repair. Please PM me if you have the details. Thanks.
    Last edited by Karlsranch; 31st May 2011 at 10:55 AM.

Trolls much???

You got lucky.

/thread

edit: looks like a spaml thread. Name of ebay merchant should appear from a 1 or two post account in coming hours.

Hi there

I am looking for a smart dude who can repair old macs cheaply. Is your guy still in business?

Dear tomobee6, does your guy do cosmetic repairs? I have a fairly old MacBook Pro that was dropped, the computer is working fine but the casing surrounding the screen is badly cracked. If he can help me I would appreciate his address. Many thanks.

Hi there

Do u still have the contact details of your repair man ?