Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Help me solve my storage crisis!

Hi

I should preface this by saying it's a bit of a ramble...

I recently filled up my 1.5TB media drive on my Mac Mini and I also need to replace my aging dual bay IDE case with 2x 500GB drives for TimeMachine backups. I'm really struggling to come up with something that is Mac based, low power, quiet and has high enough capacity.

Currently I have a Mac Mini which acts as an HTPC, torrent box and streamer for the PS3, iPad etc. and web server. It's an older C2D model and is hooked up to 1.5TB USB drive which is now full. Apart from the lack of storage it's great.

My current storage requirements are a second HD for media and dual 1.5 or 2TB drives for mirrored TimeMachine backups.

The options I'm considering are:
    * Multibay case hooked up to the Mac Mini replacing the box the 1.5TB drive is in, but most of these seem overpriced at around 500 AUD for 4 bays.
    * 4 bay Drobo connected to the Mac Mini.
    * A NAS box like the QNAP 410, but I'd rather use the Mac Mini for the NAS functions and it would mean having 2 machines running 24x7
    * A custom FreeNAS PC, same drawbacks as a QNAP but easier to upgrade in the future.
    * A second hand quad core Mac Pro which has room for 4 drives internally and I could easily add an E-SATA card and cheap E-SATA case in the future. But I'm concerned about the noise and power consumption.

Unless we start seeing drives over 2TB I'm not sure a 4 bay case would even cut it for that much longer. I'm sorting of leaning towards the MacPro as although it's the most expensive I'd get about 500 AUD if I sold the Mac Mini which would bring the cost down to around 700 and I was considering getting a 2010 Mac Mini anyway so I'd be killing 2 birds with one stone.

My limit is about 600 AUD without drives but I'll spend more if it includes replacing the Mac Mini.

I think my ideal solution would be a sensibly priced 8 bay FireWire SATA enclosure, or a Mac Mini with space for 4 3.5" drives Whatever it is I'd like official support for TimeMachine which either means something directly connected to the Mac Mini or one of a handful of NAS boxes. A Mac Pro seems like a fairly good option but at the moment the only noise I ever hear from the Mac Mini is the external HD spinning up and as it lives in the bedroom I don't really want anything much louder, at least under light loads.

I can't be the only one having this problem, does anyone have any recommendations? If I don't come up with something soon I'm going to have to fork out for a dual bay FireWire case but at around 160 it seems like a poor short term investment.
    2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, G4 Cube, 2 x Colour Classic, 840AV, iPhone, iPad

Last week I saw 4 bay NAS with 4T (included) for 480 dollars in Sydney city computer market near UTS...

What a price...

Ask yourself this instead: Do I really really need to have all those movies, TV shows, linux ISOs and other easily-replaced, low-value, disposable bytes on drives that are running 24/7 and constantly connected in case I want something immediately?

If the answer is "No", then you keep stuff on drives that aren't connected. It becomes a trivial task to yoink the USB external labeled "Movies A-Q" off the shelf, plug it into a handy computer port and grab what you want, then unplug it and put it back on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Brains View Post
    Ask yourself this instead: Do I really really need to have all those movies, TV shows, linux ISOs and other easily-replaced, low-value, disposable bytes on drives that are running 24/7 and constantly connected in case I want something immediately?
    Not all of it but a significant chunk, a lot of the content is accessible via the web and I want to be able to use TimeMachine over the wireless network in the house. Currently I have to manually hook up a drive and leave my laptop connected for an hour or so.

Also although I could connect drives on a temporary basis I'd much rather have a single large storage device than a stack of random HDs on a bookshelf.

Part of the problem is with current HDs limited to 2TB 4 drives really isn't that much. Even if I did archive most of my media I'd want a minimum of 3 drives, 2x2TB mirrored for TimeMachine backups (used by 2 laptops) and one more drive for the Mac Mini OS and media/other files.

My Aperture library is also growing pretty fast...
    2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, G4 Cube, 2 x Colour Classic, 840AV, iPhone, iPad

All i can add is that if your going to buy a NAS box, the QNAP's should have built in Time Machine support (i know mine does) and i use it as a TM box as well. And its uses very low power, esp if you buy the low power hdds as well.

Edit: I have a QNAP 695Pro using low power WD green drives (5200RMP) and the max power draw is just under 130W and idles at 38W. Raid 5 setup. It does get loud though but its tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by dingl View Post
    All i can add is that if your going to buy a NAS box, the QNAP's should have built in Time Machine support (i know mine does) and i use it as a TM box as well. And its uses very low power, esp if you buy the low power hdds as well.

Edit: I have a QNAP 695Pro using low power WD green drives (5200RMP) and the max power draw is just under 130W and idles at 38W. Raid 5 setup. It does get loud though but its tolerable.
    same! but 639Pro. I want to buy a second one. Or perhaps replace all the 1.5 disk's with 2TB disks. Then again, a second would make nice redundancy

i really like the look of these...

OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2 eSATA,FireWir... (MEQX2KIT0GB) at OWC

not sure if it solves you quandary though.

I use a Drobo for similar use (media, not the Time Machine part) and I like it.

Yes there are downsides, but thems the breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by natakim View Post
    i really like the look of these...

OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2 eSATA,FireWir... (MEQX2KIT0GB) at OWC

not sure if it solves you quandary though.
    I was looking at that and if it wasn't so close to the price of a basic 4 bay NAS or Drobo I'd have probably got one by now. They're about 510 here,I *think* I could import one for about 400.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothikon View Post
    I was looking at that and if it wasn't so close to the price of a basic 4 bay NAS or Drobo I'd have probably got one by now. They're about 510 here,I *think* I could import one for about 400.
    yeah, think you're right. attraction is they are so damn sexy. postage is only reduced by around $40 if order is for 2 units.

See External Drives Multibay options.
    With plenty of piccies.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockWork View Post
    whore?

you like the some sort of prostitute or what?

cw, do you have a rating on model specified?

btw, i'm in sydney after 19th sep, coffee and cigs?

Quote Originally Posted by natakim View Post
    btw, i'm in sydney after 19th sep, coffee and cigs?
    yes you tiny dog's pizzle - you keep saying you're on your way to Sydney - how many times now? Since when? 2009?
    Hypocrite - and no, it was to fire off another race war.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockWork View Post
    yes you tiny dog's pizzle - you keep saying you're on your way to Sydney - how many times now? Since when? 2009?
    Hypocrite - and no, it was to fire off another race war.
    2009 is yesterday in the public service, my partner has uttered similar for the past 18 month.

anger is a gift!!!