Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default AppleTV - can it be used to stream music without being connected to a tv?

Just wondering if it is one of those devices that requires an active HDMI connection to work? Was thinking of picking one up just to stream music to my stereo (and control via iPhone).

Also do you think pre-ordering online is worth it vs walking into a store? Do pre-orders get priority?

The Apple TV has an optical port so if you can connect that up to your stereo then you should be ok.
    "Murder, she says. At a time like this?"

Wouldn't an Airport Express be cheaper? Does exactly what you describe...

Quote Originally Posted by fother View Post
    Wouldn't an Airport Express be cheaper?
    Airport Express is $149. New AppleTV is $129.

I was also thinking of replacing my recently deceased Airport Express with an AppleTV, but I don't have a HDMI capable TV or AV receiver. So I too was wondering whether it can be controlled 'blind' with no TV - only an iPhone.

Well I guess I need to do more homework
    Must have misread the appleTV pricing - apologies for the misdirection, and thanks for the correction

funnily enough I've been looking at doing the same thing - my current APEx is a bit flaky with its AirTunes, and its out of warranty. I was looking at buying a refurb aTV, but given the new one is a lot cheaper than that or an even a refurb APEx, I may give that a go, and try and find some other use for the APEx.

Wish Apple would put AirTunes on the AEBS as well....!!
    15" MacBook Pro C2D 2.6Ghz 6Gb RAM, 320GB 7200 HDD, 512 VRAM & 23" Cinema Display
    3g iPod 30GB & 4g iPod photo 60GB & 512Mb shuffle & 2g shuffle & iPod touch 8GB
    & 3G iPhone 16Gb

flickr

Quote Originally Posted by fother View Post
    Well I guess I need to do more homework
    Must have misread the appleTV pricing - apologies for the misdirection, and thanks for the correction
    No bother, fother...

At a guess you would need to have a screen on it to start with as you need to go through all the on screen prompts to get it connected if you are using WIFI. Also there is the initial connection code with iTunes when you set them up
    I love Cats, just could not eat a whole one

still wondering if the thing will power on without error without the hdmi plugged in... no problem setting it up with hdmi but only have one port on my archaic tv which is used for other things.

Saying all that displaying photos and videos from my tv has also got my interest piqued over the airport express, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by funky79 View Post
    At a guess you would need to have a screen on it to start with as you need to go through all the on screen prompts to get it connected if you are using WIFI. Also there is the initial connection code with iTunes when you set them up
    Hmmm... didn't think of that. Might have to upgrade the TV. Which means I'll have to upgrade the receiver. Which means I'll have to upgrade the PVR.

AppleTV is looking a little more expensive for me now...

Steve_D's Avatar Steve_D is offline Hold on.... Let me Google that for you.

Might have to upgrade the TV. Which means I'll have to upgrade the receiver. Which means I'll have to upgrade the PVR.
    Not really.

All that it needs you to do if people are correct is to plug it into "A" HDMI compatible TV.

So technically if that is the case it means that you can just plug it into someone else's TV and use a macbook or similar hooked up to the new TV to do the settings. Once connected just unplug and take it home.

sounds simple enough.

Unless the TV is "on" no sound will come out of the Tv, or a receiver via hdmi. If you have an order Atv with the component cables, you could connect them to a receiver and use remote/airplay/tunes to play and control the sound.
    The new Atv wont help you do what you want.
    Mac Mini 2.0ghz Intel 4GB ram (apple wireless keyboard/magic mouse) DroBo V2 Macbook PRO 2.33ghz Intel 3GB ram + 60GB SSD Imac G4 13inch 1.0ghz 1.25GB ram iPad 2 16GB Wifi AppleTV Gen2 iPhone 4 16GB iPhone 4S 16GB

The question then is will the Optical port work without a TV turned on?

Because then it would basically BE an Airport Express.

the only reason it doesn't work with hdmi is because the receiver in this case being the television is in standby mode and even if you had an optical out on the television wont pass-thru because the tv isn't on i pressume.
    The atv (gen1) is on all the time, by using remote or airplay from your laptop the screen doesn't need to be on (tv) but the sound should still play out of the composite.
    Mac Mini 2.0ghz Intel 4GB ram (apple wireless keyboard/magic mouse) DroBo V2 Macbook PRO 2.33ghz Intel 3GB ram + 60GB SSD Imac G4 13inch 1.0ghz 1.25GB ram iPad 2 16GB Wifi AppleTV Gen2 iPhone 4 16GB iPhone 4S 16GB

Quote Originally Posted by Devil rolla View Post
    the only reason it doesn't work with hdmi is because the receiver in this case being the television is in standby mode and even if you had an optical out on the television wont pass-thru because the tv isn't on i pressume.
    The atv (gen1) is on all the time, by using remote or airplay from your laptop the screen doesn't need to be on (tv) but the sound should still play out of the composite.
    So basically like i was hinting at. The optical on the new ones may support always on connection like the Airport Express currently do.
    And if this is the case then it means that you should be able to connect the optical out directly to your home theatre receiver instead of having to use the HDMI sound and also standby issues.

If this is the case it also means that its rendering the Airport Express kinda useless, other than to extend range and if thats the case buy a Time Capsule and an Airport Extreme and get the benefit of being able to use the ethernet and USB ports for other things and have a backup solution at the same time.

It almost seems like apple is currently looking at its product line up and is realising that it doesn't need to make 10 different things when you can integrate functionality so that 5 will do.

Correct Steve,
    Sorry i completely forgot about the optical port on the new atv. The AE is good if, for example you want external house speakers for a deck/alfresco area. Have the AE in the roof connected to power, and run the speakers off that and mount them in the roof. Connect to them from the remote app. But yeah, cutting afew products out wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_D View Post
    Not really.

All that it needs you to do if people are correct is to plug it into "A" HDMI compatible TV.

So technically if that is the case it means that you can just plug it into someone else's TV and use a macbook or similar hooked up to the new TV to do the settings. Once connected just unplug and take it home.

sounds simple enough.
    so if he sets it up at a friends place on there TV how would he get it on his Wifi Network at his house ???
    with out using a TV at his house??
    I love Cats, just could not eat a whole one

The airport express also has an audio analogue out so you do not need a reciever with an optical input. As stated earlier this makes it helpful when using them to run speakers in multiple rooms.

The fact that airplay can be incorporated into 3rd party devices, things will be interesting. There will be speakers that can connect directly to itunes, negating the need for an airport express or appletv. I'm hoping for a pure airplay box that can connect to wifi and output audio. Hopefully it'll be cheaper than an airport express. Although i suspect the cost of a good D/A converter means it'll probably end up only slightly cheaper than an airport express. Apple may not even allow such a box as it may hurt the sales of the Airport Express.

iHome have announced they will have airport compatible speakers before christmas, hopefully that'll shine some light on what's possible. My guess is that most ipod speaker docks will be airplay compatible in the next year or so. So perhaps wait and see what happens in this space before making any decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by funky79 View Post
    so if he sets it up at a friends place on there TV how would he get it on his Wifi Network at his house ???
    with out using a TV at his house??
    Surely that would just be a matter of putting the settings for his home network into the network settings. Even if it meant changing the network name and password on the friends network to suit his home specifications.

It just seems that a lot of people are looking at wifi devices as something that is difficult to set up.

Sure there will be difficulties by not knowing the specifics of his home network security settings but nothing is impossible.