Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default problem with airport and mobile broadband

I have set up an extreme network and an express is connected as well. At the moment there is no other computer in the house and I am using a usb plug in broadband in my g5 imac.

When I set up the network I said I was not connected to the net because I could not see how the usb broadband would work.

At the moment I have the usb mobile broadband plugged into a usb port on the computer but in order for it to work, I need to switch off airport.

Is there some way that I can have airport on and still use the usb broadband?

I'm not sure of your set up but have you tried this...

Plug the usb stick in your mac. Go to sharing in the system preferences set up internet sharing (you can add a password if you want). You mac will now broadcast a wireless signal out over airport. Your wireless devices should be able to see this signal.
    Set your airport extreme and express up to join an existing network (bridge mode I think). They should be able to "see" the wifi network coming out from the mac.

That should work... others will chip in if I'm wrong or have it confused.
    Bennettnz
    Macbook Pro 13"/Mac Pro 2.66ghz quad/imac 24" x 3/iMac 21"/iMac 17"/G5 1.8 ghz/eMac 1.25ghz/Apple TV/iPad/iPhone... iDebt massive - (thanks Steve!)