Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

First of all automator has hardly any usefull functions, Good in theory but is a white elephant for the most part. It doesnt have all the functions I need but loads of useless ones Ill never use. The one function I crave is a Jpg quality script. Does one exist?
    Sick of Bullshit? Go here
    www.youngausskeptics.com

iBook 14'' 1GB Ram, MBP(santa) 15" 4GB ram, iPod Nano(3G) 4gb, iPod shuffle 512mb, iPod Touch 8gb.

What exactly do you want to do?
    Are you after a script that converts to JPG (or re-compresses) with a set quality setting? Or do you want it to ask you each time or something?
    I assume you just want to select the file(s) and have it do it's thing...

I've found Automator to be very clever, but it's hard to know what I do often enough to make a workflow worth creating. Plus you have to look through the list of functions to see what's available before you realize it's do-able.
    It's kinda a case of you don't know if you can do it till you try, and you don't try if you don't know you can do it.
    It has great potential though, and I'm glad it's there... even if I only use it for my one workflow - "Email File(s)"
    ...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

If you have a recent version of GraphicConverter installed, it offers a "Convert into JPEG" action that has a variable quality setting. Feeding this with a Get Selected Finder Items would be a good start.

Personally I use a macro in ImageReady CS2.
    See wineweek.com.au for rapid tips on which wines are worth buying and drinking.
    Follow me on twitter: wineweek or uncyherb

it already has a resize but a jpg quality one would be helpfull.
    Sick of Bullshit? Go here
    www.youngausskeptics.com

iBook 14'' 1GB Ram, MBP(santa) 15" 4GB ram, iPod Nano(3G) 4gb, iPod shuffle 512mb, iPod Touch 8gb.