Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Any reason not to buy from Dick Smith?

was going to order my new MPB on the Apple Online Store but noticed Dick Smith are selling them $100 cheaper than Apple.

Would anyone have any reasons why not to buy from Dick Smith?

If i buy it and it is faulty, do they replace it straight away like Apple do, or do they send it away for assessment?

hmm.. i think i've just answered my own question! - maybe i'll just buy from Apple and be done with it.

I bought my macbook from DSE in Feb this year because they were selling it $100 cheaper. You could always use the $100 for Applecare. Never had a problem with the macbook so can't comment on their after sales service etc. Mind you some of those DSE boys can be a little too blaze in their customer service skills....

I think it would be fine. Personally I have bought all my Macs from JB Hifi and I have never once paid RRP. In fact in most cases they offer a discount before you even open your mouth.

I've had no issues with products bought from Dick Smith, even their no-name products are of a reasonable standard. They do seem to be slightly more expensive in some areas though....cables, tools and media for example.

hmm ok then i might check out JB as well...

thanks for the advice peeps.

I have bought our last two MBP's from DSE both at 10% off.

One of them went back within 24 hours due to a sticky key and was replaced on the spot, otherwise it's all still covered as expected by Apple and/or extended Apple Care.

Also great if you want accessories at the same time since they tend do discount those more heavily.
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

If any retailer has 10% off (or similar), just go to the apple store and see if the guys are willing to price match. I know one guy in perth (whom i do not know personally)who offered it to me despite not even showing any intention of buying a mac.

I like buying from DSE as you get bonus Frequent Flyer points with your Everyday Rewards card

Dickies also have a 14 day change of mind policy as well.
    MacBook Pro | 2.26 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD

DSE have always offered to price match/offer lower than RRP when I've asked...

If you dont want to pay RRP, just find a shopping complex with lots of Apple outlets, and do the rounds. Ultimately only saved $150 on my fiancée's base model MBP after asking at Myer, then DJ, then JB (then back to Myer)... but still, that's $150 in my pocket not theirs.
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Yep I always prefer DSE over JB.....The dick offers much better service usually and 14 day change of mind policy.....JB on the other hand with its crack head sales people is a nightmare to deal with if you try any returns

We had both of our power cables replaced under DS extended warranty, it was a little bit of fooling around but because we bought 2 macbooks on sale they gave us a good price on the extended warranty ($150 each), not Applecare but still covered us for faults.
    Before I retired we spent quite a bit on updating our electronics over a couple of years and we ended up getting most of it through DS and because we managed to get the same salesperson who remembered us, we got great deals and good service.

DSE is good for many things, but like mentioned by others, you should be able to get 10% off RRP no worries.
    Cheers
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by idiesel View Post
    DSE is good for many things, but like mentioned by others, you should be able to get 10% off RRP no worries.
    Do u mean an EXTRA 10% off the current shelf price which is already $100 less than if i bought it from Apple?

If they give more than $10 off be careful to check what you're getting. Often they have stock of superseded models. The other day I bought an i3 iMac from DSE, they also had the C2D for $100 or $150 off.

Cheers
    Steffen.
    It's Unix, Jim, but not as we know it...

Print off the price and take it to the Apple Store - they'll match it and you're on a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by ts10 View Post
    Print off the price and take it to the Apple Store - they'll match it and you're on a winner.
    Why go to the trouble to get the same price from Apple when you're already at the DSE store?

Quote Originally Posted by macbj View Post
    Why go to the trouble to get the same price from Apple when you're already at the DSE store?
    Stock levels, no dickhead salesmen, One to One etc.

Stock levels can be an issue with DSE, and like dotnet mentioned make sure your comparing apples with apples when buying as the older models are often discounted to move stock whilst the newer models are the same price as anywhere else - except the current MPB which is $100 off RRP ATM
    Cheers
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by ts10 View Post
    Thanks TS10..
    thats exactly what i did..

the Apple guy took a look at the DSE website to confirm the lower price and matched it.

Thanks for the suggestion.