Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Transfer video from iPhone 4 to iMovie on mac

Title says it all. Is there a trick to doing this? So far i can only work out how to download the video files into iPhoto and then have to transfer to iMovie. Can I do this directly and skip the iPhoto step?

Cheers.

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

well all iphoto is doing is acting as the database for the media, be it a photo or a movie file. In other words just the same as if you dumped the movie file on your desktop.

I think you have come across one of the inflexible 'features' of an iDevice, where the origin purpose of limiting what you do with media files is to protect copyright (ducks).
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

route74 Guest

Its a piece of pi$$ mate - I use Image Capture. In your APPS folder, Select your iphone, highlight the file you want to download, select a folder for it to go to and press IMPORT SELECTED!
    Easy.

Yeah. That'll work. I just wonder why the iPhone is not recognised as a video device in iMovie from which you could import directly. Seems a bit odd.

route74 Guest

hmm.. Not sure either! Just part of Apples grand plan to never allow people to fully utilize all the possibilities of their products until they want us to!!

I'd expect this feature in the next iLife refresh.
    Get your dev groove on!

Looks like being a lefty causes me a further problem. I record video in landscape with the record button on the left. this means video comes out upside down in iMovie, yet are the right way up in iPhoto.

Is it possible to readjust these? I promise I'll conform.