Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up

Hi

One of the few things I miss (slightly) from Windows is the ability to open multiple instances of the same application.

Is this do-able in OS X? I've never come across it.
    I believe it's do-able for unix apps...

How would this be done for a proper GUI app?

I can see an advantage in this for me... Some apps aren't multithreaded (at all/properly) and so don't use the full capabilities of my big fancy computer. As long as one processor is not being used, I would like to run another instance of the same app - and set it processing another file. The apps run in their own memory spaces, and shouldn't interfere with each other at all.

So, am I crazy, or can I do this?
    ...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

I might just add, I am able to start another instance of the same app through Terminal (by navigation through the .app directory and starting the executable manually), but I'd rather do it through the GUI...
    ...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

i have always just started a second copy of the .app (ie i have toast.app and toast01.app) used it for burning 2 cds at once.... maybe not the best way but it works

neil