Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Almost a week and still no patch

What is Apple doing? It's has almost been a week with known vulnerabilities in iOS that almost make Microsoft look secure. They need to get their finger out and fix this before it damages their reputation especially in the business would.

This is the problem with the way apple have designed the iphone software update process. No doubt it's a very minor fix but it will require everyone to download a full iOS update to apply the patch.

4.1 hit beta 3 earlier in the week, it won't be long before it's released officially. There are a few bugs in iOS4.0.1 that need to be squashed, not just the security bug.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    This is the problem with the way apple have designed the iphone software update process. No doubt it's a very minor fix but it will require everyone to download a full iOS update to apply the patch.
    And it should have been pushed out within a few hours of the exploit being discovered.

If Apple want to be in this market they need to respond appropriately to security issues.

Edit: I agree the method of upgrading should be looked at. It would have been better if the system was designed to push out deltas.

Shut Up! I don't want them to fix it before I get an iPhone4. :P

While I never condone slow security updates, aren't the vulnerabilities dependent on going to a website that exploits it?

And speaking for myself, I really don't visit many risky sites on my iPhone unless this one counts :P

But yes, mainly the first point. It is slow.

Quote Originally Posted by resonance View Post
    Shut Up! I don't want them to fix it before I get an iPhone4. :P

While I never condone slow security updates, aren't the vulnerabilities dependent on going to a website that exploits it?

And speaking for myself, I really don't visit many risky sites on my iPhone unless this one counts :P

But yes, mainly the first point. It is slow.

Scary thing is, I could exploit this vulnerability, and you wouldn't even know. By going to my blog (or some other site... heck if someone could hack a well known popular site), I could be exploiting the vulnerability and stealing your data... and you'd have no idea it was happening.
    MacBook Unibody 2.4GHz // iPhone 4 32GB (Telstra) // iPad 2 64GB Wifi+3G
    twitter | lifestream | last.fm

Hey spring

What are they fixing? Dio you have a list?

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    This is the problem with the way apple have designed the iphone software update process.
    No; Apple could just place the patch in a PDF file, place it on their website, and allow us all to download and auto-install it.
    It's better to burn out than it is to rust.

Infact, you're actually safer after you jailbreak and install a patch that prevents autoloading of PDFs.
    Jailbreak Your iOS 4 Device To Protect Against Its PDF Exploit | Gizmodo Australia
    MacBook Unibody 2.4GHz // iPhone 4 32GB (Telstra) // iPad 2 64GB Wifi+3G
    twitter | lifestream | last.fm

almost a week? seriously?

didnt the jailbreakme thing only come out on wednesday...
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” -James Marshall Hendrix

I'm waiting more for the proximity sensor patch. It's starting to piss me off.