Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    221

    Default Multitasking - quick close all needed

    I wonder if anyone else is irritated by the fact that there is no easy way to close all apps that are on the "multitasking bar" other than the hold each one and delete method.

    I'm constantly finding that I have numerous apps "open" for no reason ['cause I'd forgotten they are there] - a "one button remove all apps from the multitasking bar" app or switch would be a big improvement.

    Any comments/thoughts

  2. #2

    Default

    I have an app called Scan which closes all open apps and frees up memory.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    82

    Default

    @ Fitshaced, what is the app called?

    I did a search of the app store for "Scan" and couldn't find anything. Is it in the AU or US app store?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homodelphinus View Post
    @ Fitshaced, what is the app called?

    I did a search of the app store for "Scan" and couldn't find anything. Is it in the AU or US app store?
    Actually, all it says is scan. Cant remember what it was exactly called and cant find out. But I was looking for it whilst using my 3G iphone under 3.1.2 and was very slow. Think I searched for memory running processes or something like that. Sorry.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,182

    Default

    A: They're not open.
    B: It's not a multitasking bar. It's a recently used app bar.
    C. Unless it's playing audio, sending you directions or running a voip call, it's doing literally nothing, and there's no reason to close it.

    If you're running 4.0 on a 3G, any performance issues you're having are not caused by multitasking, and closing all apps won't help. Hell, it wouldn't help on a 3GS or 4. All the 'multitasking' apps are using no resources apart from some RAM, and if the system needs it it will close the app, so manually closing won't help.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Appleaday View Post
    I wonder if anyone else is irritated by the fact that there is no easy way to close all apps that are on the "multitasking bar" other than the hold each one and delete method.
    I agree completely and think it should also be possible to close an app and not minimise it (to borrow a windows paradigm)

    I suspect Apple already know the problem exists but would rather keep the interface intuitive, as we all knew instantly how to close an app and nobody told us. They'll correct it when the user base understands the problem and doesn't argue its necessity.

    I believe they call it over innovating if you try and introduce to much change. The interface desperately needs an interaction to perform either a true close or a multi-task close all but on top of all the other changes it would likely have confused to many up front.
    2007 24" Ali iMac | iPhone 4 32Gb | iPad 3G 32Gb

    Me on paper (well on electronic sheets)

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    How many threads have brought up this same issue? The apps aren't running like a minimised programme in a desktop OS, Neoricen has explained it perfectly. If the app isn't doing something specifically then it isn't doing anything at all.
    If it is hidden, it is the flower - Zeami, Noh playwright

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoRicen View Post
    A: They're not open.
    B: It's not a multitasking bar. It's a recently used app bar.
    C. Unless it's playing audio, sending you directions or running a voip call, it's doing literally nothing, and there's no reason to close it.
    This.

    I realise that it feels nice to have the recently used apps bar clean. It soothes your OCD. There's no real life advantage though. Learn to let it go and be happy with a nice line of recently used apps :laugh:

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Newcastle/Hunter Valley
    Posts
    713

    Default

    I agree. No need for close button (other than what is available now by touch and hold then hit the red minus if you actually want to "close" the app).

    The tray is just for fast switching of recently used apps.
    MacBook Pro 15.4"/2.4GHz i5/8GB/500GB/Hi Res, Mac Mini 2.4GHz/4GB/320GB, iPad 2G 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G
    iPhone 4 32GB, 3GS 16GB iPod 5G 60GB Classic, 6G 16GB nano, 4G 8GB nano, 2G 2GB nano, Nike+iPod
    Apple TV 2G Airport Extreme x2, Express x2

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    This.

    I realise that it feels nice to have the recently used apps bar clean. It soothes your OCD. There's no real life advantage though. Learn to let it go and be happy with a nice line of recently used apps :laugh:
    Seconded

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    18

    Default

    You know I disagree.

    I know how it's meant to work, and apps in the background shouldn't be making any impact on the speed of the phone.

    But a couple of times now I've noticed an app being laggy and as soon as I close them all it's fine. One example of this is an app like abc news being very jerky in scrolling, close all apps and it's fine.

    So put me down for a close all button too.

    Mind you coming from my slow as molasses 3G I still love the multitasking on the 4.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,897

    Default

    a mate of mine has a 3GS, and when he went to "show memory" / free memory app it said he had 55mb free ( after he "free'd" memory ), i closed down all of his "multitasking" apps and it went to 137mb of free'd memory.
    Not sure why, but it helped him.
    Mac Mini 2.0ghz Intel 4GB ram (apple wireless keyboard/magic mouse) DroBo V2 Macbook PRO 2.33ghz Intel 3GB ram + 60GB SSD Imac G4 13inch 1.0ghz 1.25GB ram iPad 2 16GB Wifi AppleTV Gen2 iPhone 4 16GB iPhone 4S 16GB

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cbo100 View Post
    You know I disagree.

    I know how it's meant to work, and apps in the background shouldn't be making any impact on the speed of the phone.

    But a couple of times now I've noticed an app being laggy and as soon as I close them all it's fine. One example of this is an app like abc news being very jerky in scrolling, close all apps and it's fine.

    So put me down for a close all button too.

    Mind you coming from my slow as molasses 3G I still love the multitasking on the 4.
    I agree. Texting from my iphone 3g was a nightmare most of the time. I'd run Scan to free up memory and texting would be much quicker. Much like the suggested fix of rebooting the device when upgraded to ios4.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoRicen View Post
    A: They're not open.
    B: It's not a multitasking bar. It's a recently used app bar.
    C. Unless it's playing audio, sending you directions or running a voip call, it's doing literally nothing, and there's no reason to close it.

    If you're running 4.0 on a 3G, any performance issues you're having are not caused by multitasking, and closing all apps won't help. Hell, it wouldn't help on a 3GS or 4. All the 'multitasking' apps are using no resources apart from some RAM, and if the system needs it it will close the app, so manually closing won't help.
    Close, but not COMPLETELY accurate. The apps are open but they are suspended, they consume little if any resources, however if they are IOS4 friendly they remain in the state you last left them. That may or may not be what you want next time you open it. For many applications, leaving them in their suspended state causes no issues and should allow you to sleep easy.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnq View Post
    Close, but not COMPLETELY accurate. The apps are open but they are suspended, they consume little if any resources, however if they are IOS4 friendly they remain in the state you last left them. That may or may not be what you want next time you open it. For many applications, leaving them in their suspended state causes no issues and should allow you to sleep easy.
    Not to mention their previous state is dumped the moment the system needs the resources.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    221

    Default Apple call it a Multitasking bar

    [QUOTE=NeoRicen;1018909]A: They're not open.
    B: It's not a multitasking bar. It's a recently used app bar.
    C. Unless it's playing audio, sending you directions or running a voip call, it's doing literally nothing, and there's no reason to close it.

    I didn't make any comment or express any concern on whether they are open, using memory or otherwise - my comment was purely to do with them all being there with no easy way to remove them.

    If you happen to have a lot of apps that you use frequently what is the point of having them all in a "recently used bar" that you then have to scroll thru to find the one you want as opposed to finding it in the usual place in a folder on your home screen.

    To me the "multitasking" concept needs some work.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    117

    Default

    I had the original misconceptions about the multitasking in OS4 too. I approached it like the Finder initially. I thought I should be able to close an app completely once I was done with it rather than something analogous to minimising or hiding an app in the Finder.

    Once you let go of the feeling that "oh, crap I've got all these apps running in the background sucking performance I'd better close some" it's pretty sweet.

    The OS seems to do a nice job of killing stuff when it needs the ram. It really is just a recent apps history. If apps have a save state they resume, If not they just get relaunched.

    I've had some instances where I've had to manually kill an app to fix some bug but like someone said, it was intuitive because it's the same mechanism for deleting an app from a home screen.

    I have alot of apps shown in my recently used apps list, but I've never felt there was so much stuff there that it was a hassle to find the app I was looking for because it orders the most recently used apps on top.

    You can even just use the phone like you always have and not even look in the app history , but still enjoy the benefits. It's pretty nice to bounce back to an instantly ready game of something like real racing when I've had to take a call or check the net.

    I dunno. I reckon for a phone I think it works well. I don't think my battery life has taken a hit since the upgrade to OS4 and the OS definitely feels faster.

    A close all button would be good though I reckon plus additional tasks that could be backgrounded. Anyone got the slide from the OS4 keynote?

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil rolla View Post
    a mate of mine has a 3GS, and when he went to "show memory" / free memory app it said he had 55mb free ( after he "free'd" memory ), i closed down all of his "multitasking" apps and it went to 137mb of free'd memory.
    Not sure why, but it helped him.
    Keep in mind the built in 'Apple apps' like the iPod app, Mail, Safari, SMS, Phone, etc do run in the background.

    If your friend is freeing up memory, it will be by killing some of these, not third party applications.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •