Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default iPhone Developer Program

Hey guys ...

Got a question for those ppl who have started their own iPhone business.
    When you sign up for the developer program, it asks you to choose between an individual or a company. I want to start a business with a couple of friends but was wondering if we need to start a "company" or can we do a "partnership"? I'm not sure if what apple means by "company" is in its strictest sense of a business structure, or if company does include "partnerships". Couldn't find anywhere on the website that would answer my question. I've sent apple an email but they haven't gotten back to me. So I'm reaching out to you guys.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by elhuynh View Post
    When you sign up for the developer program, it asks you to choose between an individual or a company. I want to start a business with a couple of friends but was wondering if we need to start a "company" or can we do a "partnership"? I'm not sure if what apple means by "company" is in its strictest sense of a business structure, or if company does include "partnerships".
    Enterprise and universities aside, Apple's use of "company" encapsulates all non-individual entities. So, in your case, you would want to enrol as a "company". But you will need to supply business documentation in order to do so, so decide on your business structure and register your business before applying for the developer program. If you're unsure of the implications of each business structure, it's best to consult an adviser.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have some understanding of the differences between a "partnership" and a "company". Out of curiousity ... did u do a company or partnership?

Quote Originally Posted by elhuynh View Post
    Yes I have some understanding of the differences between a "partnership" and a "company". Out of curiousity ... did u do a company or partnership?
    Company.

thanks buddy

You have to be incorporated (i.e. Pty. Ltd. or like) to register with Apple as a Company. You can't be a partnership, since they require an ACN.

Paris
    paris buttfield-addison: co-founder of http://www.secretlab.com.au
    Author of Learning Cocoa with Objective-C Third Edition (O'Reilly, upcoming)
    and iPhone and iPad Game Development For Dummies (Wiley, October 2010)