Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Best Network(carrier) for iPhone4

Hello all. Just new to this forum.Have not owned iphone before..want to get one...just wanted to get peoples opinion on networks in australia. What are the 3, Vodaphone, Optus and Telstra networks like to use iphone on. Telstra is probably going to be the best...more interested in hearing from people on the other networks. If on 3 do you get charged much for when you are roaming? Any other info anyone can provide would be much appreciated.
    Thanks. Andy

TELSTRA HANDS DOWN.

FAST PHONE. FAST NETWORK.

Pay $$$ but get quality.

Pay for what you get!!
    iPhone 4G 32gb Black , MBP 13-inch: 2.26GHz
    24" iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro,320GB HD  iPad 64gb Wifi + 3G

It all depends on what you define as best. I prefer Optus. There is no doubt that the Telstra data network is larger and faster but, for the uses I have, Optus does everything I need for less money.

However, if a network doesn't do everything you need then, if what you need is available, it is probably going to cost you more. If you are a heavy data user and you move around a lot, particularly outside of capital cities, Telstra is probably your best option, assuming the extra cost isn't an issue.

Telstra if you can afford it, Vodafone if not and if you are not going to be using a lot of data and coverage if good in your area; Optus.

I used my iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS all on Optus.

Pretty good outdoors, very poor indoors and when moving. On the freeway driving, or on the train, totally drops in and out of coverage and GPRS and 3G. I could never hold onto a call on the train. Depends on your area as to network congestion of course. Country areas or when driving through the outer suburbs, reception was usually EDGE but it would still work (just). Data speeds pretty poor compared to Telstra, 1.5Mbps at most I'd say. Sometimes it would take an age just to kick in even though reception was full, data just took forever to get started (this would happen ALL the time).

I just ditched Optus at the end of my contract (which ended on the 29th July) for Telstra. The network speeds are MUCH better, around the 5-6Mbps range. Coverage looks to be excellent too. I don't think I'll have issues on the train although I didn't try on Friday however my iPad 3G is on Telstra and it seems to be fine during the train ride.

I chose the $49 Business Cap plan. Happy with the plan/data allowance. Some people will claim it's more expensive since you pay $149 up front for the iPhone 4 16GB.. well that works out to be $6.20 per month. Vodafone has a similar plan (49 cap), and you get $50 more of calls, handset repayments are $1.20 less, and you get 300MB more (or 1GB more if you compare with Telstra's consumer $49 Cap). That might seem more worthwhile but I don't think you can compare to Telstra's network at all.

If you want best coverage and data speed, Telstra is a no brainer. Their network is superior to any other in Australia.

If you want budget, look at Optus. They have coverage but it's speed/reliability has been less than good lately.

Telstra's plans are now sensational value for the service you get. Up until beginning of November, they're bumping data caps significantly as well.
    "Some say, that if you hold him in the wrong way, he doesn't work properly..."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

I was with Optus on 3G and would always drop calls, and some parts of Brisbane wouldn't even get a signal.

I changed to Telstra and very happy so far. I also didn't pay any up front charge, will be paying $25 month for 32GB handset over the 24 Months, this gives me the option to change to any plan no charge. So down the track if Telstra bring out a new cheaper plan I can change accordingly.

Also don't be sucked into getting a 3GS because you have to wait for Iphone 4 like one guy last Friday was, be patient you will be much happier.

Camera is amazingly fast and good quality, and screen is just so crisp

Also be careful with others offering higher call allowance, as they are most likely charging in 60sec blocks, not 30sec like Telstra, I compared my old bills and this makes a huge difference in the course of a month, Telstra won hands down.

Just finished 2 years with Optus for my 3G and the service for my use was terrible (Melbourne). Now on Telstra and while it does cost more the coverage and data speeds blow Optus away. Just depends on your budget, patience etc.

On Optus I dropped calls, couldnt access data, missed calls, it was frustrating.

Hellooooo Tel$ra...

Quote Originally Posted by andy271131 View Post
    Hello all. Just new to this forum.Have not owned iphone before..want to get one...just wanted to get peoples opinion on networks in australia. What are the 3, Vodaphone, Optus and Telstra networks like to use iphone on. Telstra is probably going to be the best...more interested in hearing from people on the other networks. If on 3 do you get charged much for when you are roaming? Any other info anyone can provide would be much appreciated.
    Thanks. Andy
    Roaming on 3 is charged at 50c per megabyte, used to be $1.50. I was with 3 for the last two years with my iPhone 3G and 3GS. 3 were pretty good here in Sydney but seemed to have gone downhill after the 3/Vodafone merger. They did improve a little lately but I'm on Telstra now with my iPhone 4 as the Telstra plans in my opinion now represent outstanding value.

As a comparison, I was paying $69/month on 3 for a $550 call cap and 1.25GB of data.
    Now on Telstra I pay $79/month for a $750 call cap and 1GB of data.

Telstra won me over, only $10/month more for more calls, slightly less data and a vastly superior network!

I'd recommend Telstra to everyone.

Actually, on second thoughts, I don't want my lovely network overloaded.
    Telstra is rubbish. Hopeless. Spotty coverage. Slow data speeds. Constantly dropped calls. Massive fail!!
     Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8 core  MacBook Air 1.6Ghz  iPhone 4 32GB black  iPad 3G 32GB
    My  controlled model railway "Byron Creek" at http://www.byroncreek.com

Telstra. This coming from a guy who said I would never go back, but I have tried Virgin/Optus and all I can say is they were rubbish. Telstra is much faster, coverage is better, plans are competitive (not as great as Optus though) and best of all their customer service has improved massively. Telstra have come a long way!
    Apple iMac 21.5" Apple MacBook Pro 15.4" Apple iPad 2 32GB WiFi Apple iPhone 4 32GB Apple iPod classic 5th Gen 32GB Apple iPod nano 6th Gen 8GB
    MY10 Ford Fiesta Zetec 'S' 3-Door Hatch in Frozen White

I swapped from Optus to Telstra 2 months ago and the difference is like night and day...

Telstra has the network of choice (and their customer service has improved a bit too lately).
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

No-ones plugged Vodafone yet, so I will. All the features and benefits of Optus with a better network. A good compromise if you don't want to send money to the evil Telstra.
    2013 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4/500GB, 2x 27" iMacs, iPhone 5 Black, several iPads.