Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Thinking of voting for Abbott? Mmmmmmm

Would we really want making reading the bible compulsory for our kids?

I thought we were a multicultural country. Does this mean our kids will have to read every religions texts?

If you want to believe then fair enough, that's your choice. To make it compulsory is beyond ridiculous.

Your best of going swimming sunshine. Stick to what your good at!

All kids must read the Bible, federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott says | Adelaide Now
    Trades with, Huy, PatrickH, tkilik11, chris, Taezar, bennyling, Simo, stewiesno1, MissionMan, cgollner, napes, mechcon, lama323, snagage, ClockWork, Beau, Rasta, Freeze, Petecario, Simmo, Tokevmur, Beaner, thebookfreak58, Boddiz, neg2led, Foxy

I'm sure that if it looks like it's going negative he'll say that it's not policy, but one of his spur of the moment lies ;-)

And that is something that really cracks me up.. Girl at work is thick as a brick liberal voter and her comment on that gem is "At least he's honest about lying".

Stupidity like that makes me hate compulsory voting - as in the UK she would probably not bother to vote!
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

wolfie is offline It's times like this, you need a quarter pounder.

ill be voting for abbot and i dont follow the bible.

labor party is same shit, different face, and im generally a liberal suporter.

while i dont agree with many of abbots views, i think he will do a better job than the labor.
    Entertain me!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    ill be voting for abbot and i dont follow the bible.

labor party is same shit, different face, and im generally a liberal suporter.

while i dont agree with many of abbots views, i think he will do a better job than the labor.
    Yeah your right. He says he will stop the boats too.

Like Liberal did last time they were in.

I hate the way any opposition party says that they will fix everything this time they are in when it's always the same. They dint do it then and won't do it now.
    Trades with, Huy, PatrickH, tkilik11, chris, Taezar, bennyling, Simo, stewiesno1, MissionMan, cgollner, napes, mechcon, lama323, snagage, ClockWork, Beau, Rasta, Freeze, Petecario, Simmo, Tokevmur, Beaner, thebookfreak58, Boddiz, neg2led, Foxy

Ugh.

Now I have even less faith in our system of government. Whoever wins the next election... one thing is for sure... we lose.

You are reading it the wrong way. It's suggesting they read excerpts to have a basic understanding of christianity, and not just christianity, all religions. This does not mean you have to preach and believe it, it's about educating yourself on the different religions of the world.

If one don't have a basic understanding of different religions and religious beliefs in this world they would be really uneducated.

Ollie

I think I may just vomit.
    Pretty  gear: 27" 2.66GHz i5 iMac, 4GB | Mid-2010 MBP 13" C2D 4GB | 16Gb iPhone 3GS; white.

It's cool, I don't have kids

I dislike both parties.
    Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

Why do we need to learn religions to be educated?

They are all fairy tales and should be treated as such. Not taught compulsory in our schools.

you can't vote for Abbott,or the red headed woman, in Australia we don't have the ability to vote for the PM, we have to vote for the local party.

This is not America, and we are not one nation under God.

They won't let children read the Bible, theres too much sex and violence in it.

"I think everyone should have some familiarity with the great texts that are at the core of our civilisation," said the Federal Opposition leader.
    I hope he keeps going with this plan to get Australians familiar with the Quran. Vote winner for sure.

The Bible, Quran, and MacWorld Magazine. Booyah!

While I am a Christian and I don't have a problem with Abbot wanting to give out Bibles (changed my life for the better). This is not why I will be voting for him. Labour has done nothing but spin spin spin, every new policy they put in place, they back flipped on. Don't say it was all Rudd, Gillard was 2nd in command, she is just as much at fault as Rudd. She is not to be trusted, has everyone already forgotten what she did to Rudd, she stabbed him in the back. She can't be trusted and Abbott is the only alternative.

As for the boats comment, have you even looked at the stats for the number of boats that came during Howard's time? The policies they implemented worked, we had the lowest number of boat people during those years. As soon as Rudd came in and relaxed the laws, they started coming again. So in my mind, yes, the Liberal party had fixed the issue and it was working, until it was stuffed by Labour.

It's not a religious debate, it a debate about who you can trust. Who cares if he brings in bibles, he cannot force people to read them, as long as you can trust him, and I trust him a thousand times more than Gillard, who has proven she is un-trust worthy and is from the spin party.

Don't let the bibles be the reason you vote against him. It's not that big of an issue. Seriously.
    32GB iPhone 4, Apple TV, Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66GHz Early 2009 model, Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad Core late 2007 model. I also have a 12" Powerbook G4 (My first Mac), White Macbook and a 20" iMac, but they are used by other family members.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeddi View Post
    Why do we need to learn religions to be educated?

They are all fairy tales and should be treated as such. Not taught compulsory in our schools.
    Obviously you don't know your history very well. The bible is a proven historical document. No fairy tales there.
    32GB iPhone 4, Apple TV, Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66GHz Early 2009 model, Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad Core late 2007 model. I also have a 12" Powerbook G4 (My first Mac), White Macbook and a 20" iMac, but they are used by other family members.

Quote Originally Posted by jared79 View Post
    Obviously you don't know your history very well. The bible is a proven historical document. No fairy tales there.

I never seen a bible in history class

Science and History in the Bible

The Bible is a joke, historically and scientifically.

Some of my favourites:
    God creates light and separates light from darkness, and day from night, on the first day. Yet he didn't make the light producing objects (the sun and the stars) until the fourth day (1:14-19). And how could there be "the evening and the morning" on the first day if there was no sun to mark them?
    God led the Israelites through the land of the Philistines, hundreds of years before the Philistines were established in Canaan. 13:17
    The Israelite population went from 70 (or 75) to several million in a few hundred years. 1:5,7, 12:37, 38:26
    "The whole earth was of one language." But this could not be true, since by this time (around 2400 BCE) there were already many languages, each unintelligible to the others. 11:1, 6
    How many soldiers did Israel have? This verse says that Judah and Israel had a total of 1,300,000 fighting men (1 Chr.21:5 says 1,570,000) in this battle. Of course, this is a ridiculously high number for a battle between two tribal armies in 1000 BCE. (The United States had about 1.37 million active duty soldiers in 2001.) 24:9
    In Joshua 8 the Israelites destroy Ai and make it a desolate heap. But Ai was an abandoned city by the time of the Israelites and this story is a myth invented to explain the ruins of an ancient city that the Israelites encountered. See Archaeology and Biblical Accuracy by Farrell Till. 8:1-29
    It took the Israelites 40 years to travel from Egypt to Canaan, yet such a journey, even at that time, would have taken no more a few weeks. 2:7, 8:2, 29:5
    Joshua says that those who try to rebuild Jericho will be accursed by God, and will have to sacrifice both their oldest and their youngest sons in its construction. Well, Jericho still exists today, and is often considered to be the world's oldest, continuously occupied city. 6:26
    Jesus believed the story of Noah's ark. 17:26-27
    Jesus also believes the story about Sodom's destruction. He says, "even thus shall it be in the day the son of man is revealed." This tells us about Jesus' knowledge of science and history. 17:29-32
    When Jesus was crucified, there was three hours of complete darkness "over all the earth." It is strange that there is no record of this extraordinary event outside of the gospels. 23:44-45
    The prophets have spoken "since the world began," which means that humans have been around since the creation of the world. But humans are recent arrivals on an ancient earth. There were no prophets when the earth formed 4.6 billion years ago. 3:21
    Paul shows his ignorance (and God's) of biology by saying that only dead seeds will germinate. Actually, a seed must be alive to germinate. 15:36
    God set the earth on a foundation; therefore, it does not move. 1:10
    "And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth...." To John, the stars are just little lights a few miles away that can easily fall to the earth. 6:13
    I think that'll do for now, but you see, not exactly up to the standards of the modern curriculum, is it?
    Last edited by NeoRicen; 19th July 2010 at 01:18 AM.

as long as you can trust him, and I trust him a thousand times more than Gillard
    And if you cannot trust either of them???

In my view trust should be a prerequisite when selecting the most powerful person of the country. And currently... here in lies the problem.

Stealing your wifi somewhere in southbank

Oh Politiks!

Seriously, Abbott has my vote because he won't whore himself out to get votes. He has his plans and morals and he won't change them to get votes.

And as for the bible what is so wrong about learning what 2,000 years of our culture is based on. Maybe have one RE class a week for grade 6s or something like that?

But don't mind me, I'm just a young Liberal.
    I'm the conduit through which the world views the soft underbelly of women's erotic desires.

Liberal's - tony abbot = win.

Julia gillard is a rat.
    Tony abbot is a twat.

And I'm going out to say this here, if it is too offending to some people I will remove it.

Religion = fail.

If there was no religion there there would be no wars.
    If there was no wars there would be no suicide bombers.
    If there was no suicide bombers there would be No boats.
    http://forums.mactalk.com.au/27/8587...der-200-a.html
    buy your apple stuff from the mactalk apple link

Abbott will scrap the national broadband network. For that reason alone I will not vote liberal.
    At some point I need to admit I have an Apple addiction. Just after I update my Imac, Macbook, Iphone, Ipad, Ipods and Apple TV.

I have to agree with minski, the NBN is the most important technological leap this country is going to have in a long time. I'm usually a Liberal voter but I cannot vote to kill the NBN; It would ruin this country.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast