Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by supafly View Post
    Oh I completely agree with what your saying, I was just commenting that the media are really using this 'bar' thing as their argument. Of course your going to lose calls in a poor signal area. I was just stating that the argument the media is using is ridiculous and full of crap.
    now that I couldn't agree more with. +1 berzillion on that
    "Some say, that if you hold him in the wrong way, he doesn't work properly..."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

iphone 4 has a slight redesign,coating applied to prevent issue, australia delayed until August (prob last week).

what about current owners ?
    • Mac Mini 2.0ghz Intel 4GB ram (apple wireless keyboard/magic mouse) • DroBo V2 • Macbook PRO 2.33ghz Intel 3GB ram + 60GB SSD • Imac G4 13inch 1.0ghz 1.25GB ram • iPad 2 16GB Wifi • AppleTV Gen2 • iPhone 4 16GB • iPhone 4S 16GB

Quote Originally Posted by BowieNIN View Post
    australia delayed until August (prob last week).
    I hope not, but in a way it will be good - it'll give me more time to sell my other stuff that I am flogging off to fund the outright purchase of the iPhone 4

So no ones going to try and guess that something else might be announced? *hint*

i hope so. just about everything in the apple line is out of its refresh time
    http://forums.mactalk.com.au/27/8587...der-200-a.html
    buy your apple stuff from the mactalk apple link

Maybe iPad ios4 update...?

Quote Originally Posted by Keving View Post
    Maybe iPad ios4 update...?
    It's a press conference about the iPhone not the iPad. I highly doubt it will include any other products.

i'll be switching to something else if iphone 4 is pushed back, cant afford to buy a cheapy in the mean time until apple get their act together, so will probably end up on a plan with an android device. apple need to sort themselves out.
    MacBook pro 17" i7, iPhone 4, 32GB
    iPod classic 160GB, iPad wifi only 32GB

Quote Originally Posted by ruegen View Post
    So no ones going to try and guess that something else might be announced? *hint*
    Doubt it will be anything else as Apple said it's a press conference about the iPhone 4.
    twitter | flickr | Blog | My Website
    20" Aluminium iMac • 16GB White iPhone • Black MacBook • Apple TV

Steve_D's Avatar Steve_D is offline Hold on.... Let me Google that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by drewbles View Post
    To 'save face'. The media have blown this out of proportion badly.

Design flaw? sure. Phone killer? no way.

They'll say there's a problem, hand out free bumpers to people who want them (or swap them out if they change their manufacturing process) and the world will be as one again.

It's not about the reality of the problem, it's about the media beat up and public perception. This is Apple's PR working on this, not their engineers.

Spin Doctors to placate those who are stupid enough to believe everything (blindly) that they read in places like nonews.com.au
    Its basically the blogosphere all clambering for hits and knowing that if they can harp on about something that may or may not be true about apple they get hits from the fanboys that want to defend apple and the haters that want to bag them. either way its a win win for ad revenue and page hits.

Quote Originally Posted by chopper389 View Post
    Haven't Apple already BS-ed by claiming that it was a software problem? Do you swallow that?

The posts of Apple devotees/fanboys who haven't returned or - so far- refuse to believe that Apple could get it so wrong, wouldn't convince me....and nor would the general media, for that matter .... but when leading respected consumer watchdogs start asking questions and give less than glowing reports, I reckon it's time to take notice and stop the blind faith ...
    Did you actually read the articles on these so called issues or just look at the pretty pictures?

The ONLY thing that they claimed was a software problem was the fact that the bars were showing incorrectly. It was the blogosphere and media that said it was going to be a software fix. Just like how people are now claiming that the 4.1 beta is not fixing the sensor issues or the antenna issues. even though anyone that actually reads and understands how apple product updates work would know that the actual update will come out with 4.0.1.
    The 4.1 beta is to allow devs to test the new designed game centre with their apps.

Quote Originally Posted by redtapemedia View Post
    The bars do not mean SFA. People are reporting dropped calls and slower download speeds.
    Is it just me or does it seem strange that ATT are keeping really quiet over the whole dropped calls/bars issue?
    They put out a press statement about data speeds and then quietly backed off into the shadows again.

Just seems a little suspicious to me. Maybe once the iPhone4 is on more networks and not ones that are already at breaking point we may see different results.

Personally i think that the conference will be them stating that they have found that there was a "production fault" and a batch of phones were released with issues, but the ones that are now being shipped into the stores are fixed (re: this rumour).
    They will probably offer a free replacement phone for those people that have already received the iPhone4 (mainly USA and UK) or at least a free bumper to those that do not want to replace or feel their current phone is fine but will help prevent any issues in the future.

These old phones will then be refurbished and resold.

Its an easy fix and one that will keep a majority of people happy (basically everyone other than Google,HTC,Nokia,Microsoft,Hit and Run Bloggers or anyone else that profits from Apples demise).

It could be very interesting for a lot of US customers… it’s a wild guess

Verizon? You're kidding?
    Successful transactions with tintinaujapon, sillydog701, decryption, ken-f, macmine, LaPastenague, Jordan M, leon, NathR32, trickcycle, froggy, scruffie, benerrol, hawker, midnight_e, loc04t, fission.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

My guess is one of two options:

1. They offer free bands to anyone who wants one
    2. They offer people the option to swap the phone for a newer model with a polymer coated band which gives the same antenna reception without the contact issues. This would be different to a complete recall as recalls are normally reserved for items which have safety issues.

The modification of the band could probably be done quite easily onsite by people so it may even be a case of leaving your phone with them for an hour while the tech replaces it quickly.
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

Quote Originally Posted by iZuloo View Post
    i'll be switching to something else if iphone 4 is pushed back, cant afford to buy a cheapy in the mean time until apple get their act together, so will probably end up on a plan with an android device.
    Hear, hear! All of you guys should do the same.

(I hate queues)

Cheers
    Steffen.
    It's Unix, Jim, but not as we know it...

Default Suspension

My thought saying that the press conference is abour.

1. A temporary suspension for iPhone 4 until they fix the problem.
    2. Next 18 countries launch will be delayed.

Both of above reason is to contained the problem from spreading even bigger and difficult to rectify. So holding or suspend the sales temporarily would be the best thing and the next batch of iPhone that come out from the factory will have the antenna issue fixed.

3. Whoever have already purchased the iPhone will be able to return theirs and they will fix it or replace it.

Just my hunch...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_D View Post
    Did you actually read the articles on these so called issues or just look at the pretty pictures?
    Yes and what I read wasn't pretty

The ONLY thing that they claimed was a software problem was the fact that the bars were showing incorrectly.
    And that doesn't smell to you like BS masking the real problem?

Is it just me or does it seem strange that ATT are keeping really quiet over the whole dropped calls/bars issue?
    Yes, it's just you. Don't you know that ATT have been in bed with Apple for years?

Steve_D's Avatar Steve_D is offline Hold on.... Let me Google that for you.

i cant see the suspension thing happening.

Think back to what happened when the SATA issues cropped up in the MBPs or the iMacs had issues with their 27" panels.

They were not recalled.

The customers were issued a software fix and Apple put out a statement stating that there was an issue and then gave customers a chance to return if unsatisfied.

It will be the same deal here.

Here is software fix 4.0.1 for those with only proximity sensor issues (and 3G iPhone stability too hopefully). for those with Antenna issues take your iPhone to the store and they will replace with a newer model that doesnt show these problems.

They would announce this at a press conference to basically rub it in the nose of the media that bash apple for being so secretive.

Foxxcon had a "production issue", We see that and so heres the fix, lets all hold hands and sing Coom By Yah.

So the whole thing was contrived. Apple designed the phone to have flaws on AT&T. The iPhone will be announced to be on Verizon, and iPhone's on V are guaranteed to have no reception issue. Thus ALL AT&T users will terminate their contracts thanks to the 30 day return policy and move to Verizon.

Very silly.

Quote Originally Posted by malim View Post
    1. A temporary suspension for iPhone 4 until they fix the problem.
    Really? It's their best product launch ever and they're going to stop selling it? Hardly. This issue is massively overblown, there was probably a production fault with a very small number of iPhones, & they'll replace those iPhones for free with new iPhones with no fault and everyone's happy.

Seriously the majority of people whinging about this issue are people who don't even have an iPhone 4 and have no evidence to suggest this will be a major issue anyway here in Australia with phone networks that actually work properly. If you buy an iPhone 4 and discover that the problem still exists in day-to-day life here in Australia then your complaints are justified & and you can return it with the 30 day refund. But until then stop assuming that this is a major problem that affects everyone with an iPhone 4.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast