Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: Spinning Gears

Default Spinning Gears

Hey Guys,
    Sorry, but I have alot of close people on my social networks and I needed to vent out abit without their BS retorts.
    So in Dec 09 I moved with my wife to Qld. Bought a house, got jobs and its been great. I got a job with a very small company ( me as the creative, and the owner ) and 2 timeshare receptionists. Got through the interview, did a test period of 2 weeks and I got it. It was advertised at 50-60k, based on experience. When the boss asked me what I want to start on, I say the least, so I can prove my worth to you and the company.
    So my 6 month review is coming up, and Mrs Boss walks in acting sus, and gives the receptionist a letter to type. I have a sift through the newest doc's, find the letter and it is my pay review. Im pretty gutted, the offer is only 55 ( which i know is alot, i do ) But I feel like I have worked pretty hard and in my time proved my worth. Since I have been here I have..
    Implemented a job-bag system to organise and streamline workflow
    Installed and maintained a new network setup with automated and physical backups.
    Added the ability to supply websites to our customers, which was previously not possible
    I show up 30mins before my shift everyday, I do overtime whenever its required. I am polite, keep my area clean and have done every task asked of me...

So im in abit of a daze.
    1. Are pay reviews negotiable ?
    2. Am I being unreasonable to think that the things I have implemented give me the opportunity to be paid more..?
    3. My wife and I are thinking of starting a family soon, and with one income and a mortgage I feel that if I don't strive and work harder for a better pay situation that that will leave me in a bad financial position when we do have a family.

background:
    I have worked as a creative for atleast 5-6 years.
    My training and experience directly fit the requirements here.

I guess I am after some similar experiences, some do's and don'ts of corporate contract negotiations, or if I am flat out in the wrong to be rectified.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Mac Mini 2.0ghz Intel 4GB ram (apple wireless keyboard/magic mouse) DroBo V2 Macbook PRO 2.33ghz Intel 3GB ram + 60GB SSD Imac G4 13inch 1.0ghz 1.25GB ram iPad 2 16GB Wifi AppleTV Gen2 iPhone 4 16GB iPhone 4S 16GB

So you started at 50k and just got 10% pay rise? In my experience, pay reviews are negotiable, so if you want more, go in and ask for more. At worst, they will say no, at best, you still get the 55k.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does a 'creative' do? Is it a position you can just leave this company and be a creative at another company? I find its the only way to get a pay-rise.
    .: iPhone 3GS - 32gig - black .:. iMac 24" Intel .:. iPad 64gig Wi-Fi + 3G .:. 2011 17" MBP :.

my title would be mid-weight graphic designer, but as I am the only creative for this company, I have been given the Senior gd position.
    It is a position that I can get with another company, but as i live quite aways out of the city, the location of this company is very much preferred.
    Mac Mini 2.0ghz Intel 4GB ram (apple wireless keyboard/magic mouse) DroBo V2 Macbook PRO 2.33ghz Intel 3GB ram + 60GB SSD Imac G4 13inch 1.0ghz 1.25GB ram iPad 2 16GB Wifi AppleTV Gen2 iPhone 4 16GB iPhone 4S 16GB

im not trying to make it a greed thing, I haven't been in a company that has had pay reviews before, so I wanted to know the do's and don'ts of them.
    And im more concerned about being able to pay my bills and keep afloat, as i assumed that my good turn of asking to be paid less at the start would be returned by my employer from the hard work I have put in, in the first 6 months.

Go in there with what you have done, and what you have planned, and say you're worth more than what you were just given.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil rolla View Post
    as i assumed that my good turn of asking to be paid less at the start would be returned by my employer from the hard work I have put in, in the first 6 months.
    Never happens... I hate to sound cynical, but I've been doing what I do for almost 20 years (which isnt long also), and you soon learn, you're just a number and that what they pay you, they have to get back two-fold or more.
    .: iPhone 3GS - 32gig - black .:. iMac 24" Intel .:. iPad 64gig Wi-Fi + 3G .:. 2011 17" MBP :.

thanks gobble.
    some points i have been given from outsiders.
    get job adds for similar positions and see what they are paying ( industry standards )
    get quotes on the extra roles i've performed ( to show the savings I bring to the company as a one man band )
    talk about the points i've mentioned above and see if there can be some negotiations.

Pay reviews are completely negotiable.

Here is your approach:

Assemble your KPI's and KA's with any results and project work you have completed, The key here is make it measurable. i.e. Increase customers by 10%, increase sales by 25%, decrease turnaround of materials by 30%.

Put that into a ROI or CODB framework, for instance, i saved the company $x by turning around my project 30% faster/better which generated $x more for the business.

A boss needs to know you are making him more money having you there than not if you ever want him to pay you more.

If you didn't have an KA's or KPI's set refer back to your job description and try to create your own, If you don't have a job description refer back to conversations you have had with your boss about what he expects from you.

Refer back to the fact that the role was 50 - 60 based on experience, ask him, have i met your expectations of someone who is experienced in a role like this?

My biggest tip is to not compare your self to closely to what people are getting paid in other business' unless you can show your Boss you do EXACTLY the same job

(by the way... its only been 6 months... most pay reviews are after 12. was this agreed to when you started that it would be within 6 months? maybe you will have another review after 12?)

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    Pay reviews are completely negotiable.
    Refer back to the fact that the role was 50 - 60 based on experience, ask him, have i met your expectations of someone who is experienced in a role like this?
    i like this. As from the job description, I feel like I have well exceeded it. But, i could be 1000% bias as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil rolla View Post
    i like this. As from the job description, I feel like I have well exceeded it. But, i could be 1000% bias as well.
    Doesnt matter if you feel like it... how can you show tangible/measurable evidence that you have?

Can you refer back to weekly catch up's or interim reviews where your work was praised?

i've had calls out of hours from my boss saying how impressed he was with some of the work I have left for him before I went home, whilst he was in a meeting.
    I have helped him with work outside of hours and on weekends with no mention of payment which he has appreciated.
    I have redesigned supplied artworks that the clients have had done, and both boss and client have noted the work to me.

Write it all down and present it too him, bring up specific times when he commented, diarise them for the future if you dont already

Pay reviews are negotiable in the sense that if you're not happy with it you can look for another job. They don't have to offer you more if they don't want to.
    You will need to talk to your boss and let him know how you feel, and hopefully he will come to the table. If not, then you need to be prepared to look for another job. If there is no threat of losing you then there is no need for the company to offer you more pay.

i don't really want to threaten to leave, its not really my personality either. Hopefully he will come to the table, but he is abit of a mild mouse and most times just shrugs at things that need answers. And thats no way to run a business / treat employee matters.

Vzzzbx's Avatar Vzzzbx is offline There is a god and his name is NOT Bob Ellis

In my experience, if you join a company on a reduced figure to get your foot in the door, they forget about it within days; if you get a job on a high figure, they never ever shut up about it.

If you think you're worth something and you're not getting it, hit the market. Don't ever expect that your selfless motive in accepting a low salary will be honoured in the future.