Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    33

    Default Iphone 4 - Reception issue barely noticeable

    Just got my iphone 4. The first thing I wanted to test was the reception issue. I am with Telstra and hardly noticed anything noticeable.
    Wrapping my hand around almost all the phone looses 1-2 bars.

    Other then that the retina display really looks awesome and phone feels really nice in hand.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    624

    Default

    That's good news.

    Don't suppose you've got an Optus sim you could test out?
    Alumimum iMac iPhone 4 Unibody Macbook

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rosshire View Post
    Just got my iphone 4. The first thing I wanted to test was the reception issue. I am with Telstra and hardly noticed anything noticeable.
    Wrapping my hand around almost all the phone looses 1-2 bars.

    Other then that the retina display really looks awesome and phone feels really nice in hand.
    though they would had been locked..?!
    or did u get it from the UK?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I got it from the UK

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    742

    Default

    eBay or you living there?
    iPhone 4G 32gb Black , MBP 13-inch: 2.26GHz
    24" iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro,320GB HD  iPad 64gb Wifi + 3G

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    33

    Default

    ebay

  7. #7

    Default

    That's the network and the frequency working in tandem.

    The 850MHz frequency is ideal for penetrating objects and buildings which is why you barely notice any difference inside buildings on Telstra, along with the room on the network for the customers that use it.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thre3dee View Post
    That's the network and the frequency working in tandem.

    The 850MHz frequency is ideal for penetrating objects and buildings which is why you barely notice any difference inside buildings on Telstra, along with the room on the network for the customers that use it.
    Well the AT&T network is 850mhz too but they seem to be having th most problems.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rosshire View Post
    Well the AT&T network is 850mhz too but they seem to be having th most problems.
    Because phone networks in the US are generally shit compared to here in OZ, we have much better and more consistent reception. And that's comparing AT&T to OPTUS, Telstra's network is one step above that again.

  10. #10

    Default

    anyone using vodafone. How do they compare to telstra?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Thats what id like to know, cause my 3G with Vodafone (in Sydney) is so bad i have it turned off.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rosshire View Post
    ebay
    how much did you pay?If you don't mind
    Microsoft Developer by day | iPhone Developer by night

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Warrnambool,Victoria
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Sold his Soul.
    Imac 27" 3.4 Quad Core i7,12GB Ram,
    Macbook Air,2011,13inch.1.7,4GB Ram,128,SSD.
    iPad 3, Waiting,iPhone 4 16GB,Airport Extreme.Airport Express,Apple TV 2.

  14. #14

    Default

    I have no problem with mine. The reception is full 5 bars even when I wrap my left hand around the phone.

    FYI I am a Telstra prepaid user with a UK import iPhone 4.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    3,781

    Default

    Leaked: Apple’s internal iPhone 4 antenna troubleshooting procedures Boy Genius Report

    This is the way Apple are handling Applecare enquiries from people. It really seems to be more of a US and UK issue at the moment...so I'm hoping the bands here will help us out.

    Interesting that there's no mention of the elusive software fix.
    2013 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4/500GB, 2x 27" iMacs, iPhone 5 Black, several iPads.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Melb
    Posts
    232

    Default

    I tried 'cupping' the bottom right of the 3GS with iOS4. The signal dropped to almost nothing. There was a Three card in there.

    I swapped to a my Telstra Prepaid. Did the same thing, signal stayed full.

    So, it's definitely a network reception issue.

  17. #17

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    550

    Default

    "However, as an engineer I can propose a useful theory
    to explain what everyone is seeing, and not seeing
    and even why Apple shipped the iPhone as it is
    "

    Quote - Steve Gibson

    iPhone 4 External Antenna Problem | Steve(GRC) Gibson's Blog

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skritter View Post
    "However, as an engineer I can propose a useful theory
    to explain what everyone is seeing, and not seeing
    and even why Apple shipped the iPhone as it is
    "

    Quote - Steve Gibson

    iPhone 4 External Antenna Problem | Steve(GRC) Gibson's Blog
    This article seems to contradict that: Detailed Analysis of iPhone 4 Signal Strength Dropoff - Mac Rumors

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    120

    Default

    I am also interested to know if anyone has an iPhone 4 on Vodafone in Sydney yet.
    Have considered switching to Telstra purely because they have better reception, their prices are much better than they used to be as well, though still need a bit of work.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •