Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Apps for taking notes

There's a separate thread for Whitenote, specifically, which is a LOT of notepad, very sophisticated and more than I need.

In the end I settled on Smartnote with which I was very happy until I went looking for a similar app for the iphone and found Mental Note Lite. Had not tried it until this morning, and I find that its got absolutely everything one needs for a note taking app, and its just a whole lot more intuitive than anything else I have seen. So I have just bought the full version for iPad, based on what I saw for the lite version on iPhone.

Anyway, it seemed like it might be time to make a general thread for note taking apps, what people are using and what they are recommending.

It would be good if people are using a particular app, if they could list the features which are most useful to them, and general pros and cons if they become aware of them.

I, for one, would like to know more about Penultimate and Paperdesk from those who use them extensively, or even just a bit.

I plan to be using a note taking app during Ward Rounds (which isnt rounds, we all sit in a meeting room discussing clients)... I work in the community and attend rounds weekly. I haven't done it yet, I am waiting for my pogosketch.

Default Mental Note for iPad

I'll start with a quick list of the features of Mental Note, taken from the zymbiotic Website:

The digital notepad for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. Combine pictures, voice recordings, drawings, and text all on the same page.

FEATURES

* Draw with your finger using multiple colours and widths on top of pictures, text, or anywhere else on the page
    * Take a photo (iPhone, iPod touch) or choose one from your album and add it to the page
    * Add audio to the page by recording with the built-in microphone (iPad, iPhone) or an external microphone (iPod touch); perform other note actions while audio records (2.0)
    * Note organization (2.0): tags, flag important notes, password protect sensitive notes
    * Change the size and font of the text in your notes (see Settings)
    * Undo/redo lines while drawing
    * Delete note sections using the toolbar button or by swiping any note section
    * Length of a note is limited only by device memory
    * Email the complete note directly from Mental Note (use QuickTime to play audio)
    * Post notes directly to Twitter (2.0)
    * Numerous configuration options (see Settings)
    * Supports all device orientations
    There's more information on their blog

From my own minimal experience right now, the feature I most appreciate is the capacity to switch easily from finger writing to text and back. theres a few different sizes for writing with, and you can change colours, like in most of these apps

Orientation can be portrait or landscape of course

My pref is for writing in portrait, but typing in landscape. Those keys arent in the right place (for me) for typing in portrait mode.

Its a decent app, I like the way its put together, and the email as PDF is a decent option to combine all input methods. I'd like to see email as text added too, if you only use the keyboard input... then again, there are other apps that do that well already.

Thats it for now.

Default Smartnote

This youtube video gives a rundown on the Smartnote features better than I ever could

I'm looking for a good note taker and tasks manager with, "to-do's".

I want to be able to use my iPad in a meeting to take notes, or take notes into the meeting, and during the meeting enter tasks (to-do's).

I'd also like one that can sync to the web/cloud. I want to be able to access all this information on my work PC (windows).

I don't ask for much heh heh

Hm I guess depends on what you want from it.. I'm quite happy with SimpleNote or Evernote (more advanced) because they are free and enough to do what I want (even more with Evernote)

Both of them auto sync to the cloud too

I use a notepad and pen, then take a photo of the page and save it into evernote.

Most of my hand writing is picked up, so it becomes totally searchable and I add tags for the meeting / project / event etc
    Get your dev groove on!

Hey you lot, how about a bit more detail!!!
    It would be good if people are using a particular app, if they could list the features which are most useful to them, and general pros and cons if they become aware of them.
    [edit] Hmm, that went well. lol.
    Last edited by kyte; 19th June 2010 at 06:12 PM.

I'm using Daily Notes.
    Allows for automatic date entries, multiple custom tabs to allow me to separate meetings, clients, phone, personal, etc etc

Working well for me so far. I didn't want to have to keep transcribing notes I was taking everywhere - and this seems to be doing the trick!

Professional app, looks good, delivers.
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

Subsequent to my first post, I bought Penultimate. Its a smoother application for writing with the pogosketch, I just wish it was OCR as well so I could send to my work email and then copy paste notes to client files. Oh well, can't have everything. Almost have it in WritePad but... my writing must be dreadful, it barely recognises anything.

Check out Evernote as well. You can sync Evernote with your iMac, PC, iPhone, iPad and MacBook. This way you will always have the notes you made on all computers.

well I use ido-notepad which is free when I download. you could try that out.

I was using "Notes" as it allowed me to do a few things from it, though I find Evernote a lot more useful now.

As ugly as it is, I use Note Taker HD. Works well with scribbling notes rather than just typing. Can draw as well.
    Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Unibody goodness
    20 Inch Cinema Display
    8Gb 3G iPhone, 3rd gen iPod Nano 4Gb, 3rd gen U2 ipod 20Gb

I use Simplenotes because I can also use the web application and everything syncs up.

Penultimate is good, maybe there are some other better note taking apps can help you...

I think the intention of my post was misinterpreted.

I'm not looking for help, I am looking for people who are using various note taking apps to actually do more than say "i use <whatever>". give a bit of information, there are many more readers here than posters and it might help someone (but not me, I have what I need, and I have posted a small review as well... I was kinda hoping others would do the same)

I like sound paper. Think of it like a basic note taking app that also records sound. Then when you go back to your notes, tap on a word and the recording starts from 7 seconds before you typed that word.

Handy for uni notes.
    Check out this app and maybe use it to book a restaurant or order some munch. Owned by an Aussie :) App Store link

Are there any true note apps with OCR?
    I know a few can search the text you type, some what you write.
    Are there any that convert hand writing to text though? A full transcribed like on windows mobile?

Quote Originally Posted by Aignome View Post
    Are there any true note apps with OCR?
    I know a few can search the text you type, some what you write.
    Are there any that convert hand writing to text though? A full transcribed like on windows mobile?
    The only one I know of is Writepad. Its not bad, but not great.