Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Telstra Family & Friends Offer - NO CONTRACT - $39 Cap with $400

I saw this posted on the OzBargain site today and it's a pretty great deal for anyone who wants to switch to Telstra. Possibly better than the Prepaid deal.
    $39 cap, no contract casual plan, min $10 per month.

Here is the link to the OzBargain description.

And the link to the offer on the Telstra site.

Call rates are 30c per 30 sec with a 27c flagfall.

The plan comes with $15 of "Member Credit" which you can use to pay for a $10 data pack for 200mb of data. Unlike a regular cap plan, the excess data comes out of the cap at $0.25.. meaning you could potentially use up to 1800mb per month.

The voucher number is "TF2OFFER" which you must enter on the shopping cart when asked for a Promo code. Nothing else is necessary.

This is a GREAT deal for those that don't want a contract on Telstra.

Telstra Family & Friends Offer (Again) - $39 Cap with $400 Worth of Calls!

For a limited time, new customers of Telstra who are family and friends of Telstra staff can connect to the $39 Telstra Staff Mobile Cap Plan that includes $400 of eligible national calls and data p/m

This plan has a minimum monthly fee of $10 per month and once you spend $39 on eligible calls, you will get $400 worth of calls to most Australian numbers and data (excl operator assisted, premium number and international calls, content and subscription charges). Of course, standard charges apply after $400 and for calls/usage not included in the cap. This cap lets friends and family of Telstra staff enjoy a great calling rate of just 30c per 30 second block for eligible national calls and a low call connection rate of 27c. With low rates like these, the included value goes further.

There are a number of handsets to choose from and if you take up a Mobile Repayment Option (MRO) you can also get up to $15 per month for 24 months off the price of the handset. If you cancel your cap plan you must repay all outstanding amounts payable on your handset.

Make sure you quote the voucher number TF2OFFER when asked for a Promo code

This looks good but can you please clarify a couple of things?

I'm currently on prepaid and use a $10 data pack every month

-You said it comes with "$10 member credit $15 of "Member Credit" which you can use to pay for a $10 data pack for 200mb of data"
    Is this really correct? I thought this MRO only applied if you purchased a phone as well and if you didn't then it wouldn't apply
    -Are SMS included in the cap?
    -Can I go to a T Life shop and sign up for this?
    -I'm on Telstra Prepaid..can I order this SIM and then port to it? It says "Only new Telstra mobile customers are eligible for this offer." so I suspect that it can't be done?

I added a $10 data pack to the cart, and it comes out at $5/mth as it takes out $15 monthly credit. Wow? is this correct? Seems like an excellent plan if that's the case

So is this really better than the prepaid? With prepaid your unused credit and calls actually roll over so I would think that's even better, especially if you always reach the $39 monthly amount (which with a few calls and SMS most people would)
    Last edited by drzeus; 16th June 2010 at 12:24 PM.

Not trying to be rude, but mate c'mon!

Camson has just posted this up here as a heads up to do us all a favour. As he says, it's just a promo he stumbled across on another site, so what makes you think he knows all the finite details of the plan? He knows just as much as you would from clicking on the links and reading the pages yourself. Why not try contacting Telstra for the answers?
    Mac Pro 2012 upped to 3.46GHz 12-Core, 80GB RAM, 1TB PCI-e SSD, 20TB internal RAID, GTX680, Decklink 4K Extreme; 31" 4K LG and 30" Cinema; 15" 2.5 i7 Retina MBP; Mac Mini "Unibody" HTPC; AppleTV; iPhone 6; Touch; Nano 6G; Time Capsule, etc etc

Looks pretty good. My girlfriend works for Telstra corporate and sent through information about it which said you can sign up anywhere that does Telstra. I rang up because I wanted to port my number and the guy was more than happy to do it.

They took me from my last remaining month on optus and rolled it over quite nicely.

Now just have to wait and hope they do something awesome with iPhone4.

Can say I'm quite happy to see Telstra testing the water with half decent plans.

This seems like a pretty good option if you're planning on grabbing the iPhone 4 outright.

Shame it's only valid until the 29th of June.

ordered three of these
    with a starting point of $5 credit a month ($10 min. - $15 member credit) sounds like a brilliant plan.
    will see what comes of it.
     iMac revA 233mhz. iBook (clamshell). iPod Photo. MacBookPro. Mac mini. iPad. iPhone 4S 
    "It's better to be a pirate than to join the Navy" - SPJ

Grrr, just credited my telstra prepaid with $40
    Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Unibody goodness
    20 Inch Cinema Display
    8Gb 3G iPhone, 3rd gen iPod Nano 4Gb, 3rd gen U2 ipod 20Gb

I'd get one of these, but I just have no idea how it works, no matter how many times i read it.
    It says its a $39 cap plan..but you only pay $10 per month ?
    then you choose a browsing pack ?
    anyone can explain it to me i'd be very grateful.
    cheers,
    Steve
    Mac Mini 2.0ghz Intel 4GB ram (apple wireless keyboard/magic mouse) DroBo V2 Macbook PRO 2.33ghz Intel 3GB ram + 60GB SSD Imac G4 13inch 1.0ghz 1.25GB ram iPad 2 16GB Wifi AppleTV Gen2 iPhone 4 16GB iPhone 4S 16GB

You pay $10 regardless. So if you don't use it $10. It then has a top level of $39 for the cap tup $400. So between .01 and $400 of usage you pay $39. After that standard amounts for additional.

You're also give $15 member but that just seems to confuse things, but i took it to mean you could get a $10 data pack for nothing. (I think the $10 might come out of the cap amount)

. As far as iPhone4 goes, this plan is contract less so I can jump out if need be when it comes. It just gives me a few more options paying a bit less than what I was with optus. I might only be on it for a month but it's no harm done really

as I understand it
    casual month to month plan, no contract,
    $39 cap with a $10 minimum spend

so $10/month,
    then upto $39 you pay what you use, $11, $12, $13,...$39.
    $39-$400 is capped at $39
    charged at 30c/30sec, 27c flagfall, 25c sms.

there seems to also be a $15 credit per month reducing all of the above payable amounts by $15.

no data included, although casual browsing is charged at $2/MB is included in the $400 capped at $39.
    you can also buy browsing packs for $5 (30MB), $10 (200MB) or $20 (500MB) on top the $10min-$39cap.

If you want to take a handset theres a repayment option for the handset you choose, putting the whole thing on a 24 month contract.
    Last edited by gikku; 16th June 2010 at 04:34 PM.
     iMac revA 233mhz. iBook (clamshell). iPod Photo. MacBookPro. Mac mini. iPad. iPhone 4S 
    "It's better to be a pirate than to join the Navy" - SPJ

so, is this right?
    minimum spend $10
    maximum spend up to $39 bucks and the cap covers to to $400
    and the browsing pack, is that $X ontop of the $10pm or what ?
    Mac Mini 2.0ghz Intel 4GB ram (apple wireless keyboard/magic mouse) DroBo V2 Macbook PRO 2.33ghz Intel 3GB ram + 60GB SSD Imac G4 13inch 1.0ghz 1.25GB ram iPad 2 16GB Wifi AppleTV Gen2 iPhone 4 16GB iPhone 4S 16GB

thanks gikku, i get it now.
    cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by gikku View Post

no data included, although casual browsing is charged at $2/MB is included in the $400 capped at $39.
    Be aware that a guy has posted on whirlpool that the Telstra rep on the phone has told him that the data once you use your data pack does NOT get deducted from your $400 cap but is additional charge on top of your $39. This seems to contradict most of the info I've read on this already.

Quote from Whirlpool:
    "Guys, just want to share the info that I found out. I was interested in getting this plan with a Desire, but not so keen anymore after speaking to the phone sales team.

- $39 cap with a min spend of $10 only (which is great for someone like me who make very few calls), and have up to $15 MRO towards a new handset
    - The included $400 value can be used for calls, text & data;
    - HOWEVER, the casual data rate will be @ $2/mb
    - You can add a data pack to the plan to bring the rate down to $0.25/mb;
    - HOWEVER, once your allocation MB is up (for example, $5 for 20mb), the additional usage will NOT come off your $400 value (i.e. anything above will be in addition to your $39 cap)

I was initially excited by this offer. I make very little call and will mainly use it for data (~1gb a month). And I wanted the Desire. After adding everything up, I could literally have it all for $25 per month ($10 min spend + $5 data pack + $25 for the Desire $15 MRO = $25p/m). However, since the discovery above, I don't think this plan will be worthwhile for me anymore

I have spoken to 3 different sales reps on the phone, and they all confirmed the same thing. So if any of you out there have been told otherwise (and can prove it in writing so that I can take it into a Telstra shop), please let us know."

Quote Originally Posted by Maximage View Post
    ...Why not try contacting Telstra for the answers?
    Mate I wasn't demanding more info from the guy, I was only trying to clarify a couple of things in case he understood it better than I did. As always, Telstra does make their plans quite complicated and I would probably trust info from the forum members more than I would from incompetent Telstra call centre staff from the Philippines.

anyone know if you sign up to this are you able to add a phone on MRO later? eg iphone 4
    Mac Pro Dual Xeon 2.8GHz Quad, 6GB Ram, 128GB SSD+320GB+3x1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX285, Mac OS X 10.7
    My Flickr | Portfolio/Photoblog

Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    anyone know if you sign up to this are you able to add a phone on MRO later? eg iphone 4
    Yup you can add an MRO whenever. Either a full MRO or a partial subsidy MRO at any time.

Does any one know whether if you transfer from Telstra prepaid are you considered a new customer? Or would i have to get a new number you reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by Soliah View Post
    Yup you can add an MRO whenever. Either a full MRO or a partial subsidy MRO at any time.
    Dammit, this offer just became a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmammal View Post
    Does any one know whether if you transfer from Telstra prepaid are you considered a new customer? Or would i have to get a new number you reckon?
    Yep I'm wondering the same thing. Anyone who's done it and can confirm it?

The $15 credit is towards a handset repayment option only.

I can confirm the $15 credit only goes toward a handset MRO repayment, not toward any data pack you may have on top of your cap. Data over your cap limit (eg $10 for 200mb) is included in the $39 cap.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast